Old 10-24-2015, 11:15 PM   #11

danc...You are correct on the 4.30 axle ratio. I was thinking my 4 Runner has the 3.93 gears. I would probably get a tad better gas mileage with the 3.93 gears but would tow better with the 4.30.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:21 AM   #12

You don't "need" a 3/4 ton but they sure are nice to have.

With 3/4 ton you get more brake, beefier frame, heavier duty gear and driveline components, etc. You also get some real sh*%ty gas mileage. I'm at 15 highway and 9 or so towing.

Nothing wrong with 1/2 tons at all, but the trap with max tow and uplevel payload packages is 95% of the time you end up at a price above the 3/4 ton when you add those packages, and at the end of the day its still a 1/2 ton truck. The only way you don't end up that way is if you catch some sort of sales incentive.

In the case of GM, I priced out the GM 1500 with all the towing enhancements and was close to 4K above my best price on the gas 2500HD. With the 1500 you get the 6.2 aluminum block Ecotec and with the 2500HD you get the Vortec 6.0 with cast iron block. GM considers the 6.2 a light duty engine and the 6.0 a heavy duty engine which is why they still plug them into the HD. Take a 1/2 ton, any brand, with the max towing and payload enhancements, and park it beside its 3/4 ton brother. Crawl under and take a good look. Huge differences.

I see lots of overloaded 1/2 tons coming into campgrounds towing 6K range GVWR trailers. Its not the trailer, its the 6 people, 3 coolers full of beer and ice, face-cord of wood, 6 bikes, 3 kayaks, two easy ups, Kenmore gas grill, and other gear that overloads them. Most of the towing public does not live and breath this stuff, or bother looking into any of it. They just hook up and go. Max payload package????? What is that?????

Old 10-25-2015, 07:01 AM   #13

Agree with mr havercamp...half ton is sufficient for an ik. As I posted earlier my Ram 1500 is great for that job. However it is usually just the two of us and we don't bring all the stuff large families need. Not the case years ago with 3 or 4 kids, bikes, wood, coolers, car top carrier on a ford crown vic station wagon pulling a pop up. Looked like the Beverly Hillbillies going down the road.
When we got the ik 2 years ago I test drove several trucks, both half and 3/4 ton and since the truck is my daily driver , I decided I didn't want the 3/4. Too harsh, too stiff and more than I needed to pull 6000 lbs. And my hiway mileage is way better. 23 ave on hiway. Towing still sucks....about 10.
Ultimately the decision is yours of course. Know your numbers and don't exceed them. Most half tons can pull 8500 to 10000 lbs. If your trailer falls under that weight limit and you don't plan on getting a much larger one in the near future, a half ton will be just fine.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 07:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking46 View Post
since the truck is my daily driver , I decided I didn't want the 3/4. Too harsh, too stiff and more than I needed to pull 6000 lbs.
I Forgot about that , however I like a truck to ride like a truck. My GMC 2500 HD rides much better IMO than my 2013 F150 work truck/daily driver.

One of the issues with 1/2 ton pickups as I see it.--- In the early 90's they started designing the suspensions as 1/2 ton cars instead of trucks. People wanted them to be more car than a truck. They also started putting all kinds of slip into the transmissions to make them shift like cars. Take any of them to a good transmission guy and have them remove the cushy cushy. It will amaze you.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWHybrid2B View Post
danc...You are correct on the 4.30 axle ratio. I was thinking my 4 Runner has the 3.93 gears. I would probably get a tad better gas mileage with the 3.93 gears but would tow better with the 4.30.
I agree ...a little better gas mileage with the 3.93 but one (just one) of the reasons i bought the Tundra was the 4.30 gears and not sorry i did.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #16

We tow our 23IKSS with a 1/2 ton pickup and LT tires. I like the way the LT tires tow, and I went with BFG KO2's, which exceed snow tire ratings, so they are great in the winter. The tradeoff is they don't ride quite as smooth when not towing, but not enough of a difference to matter to me.

I think both schools of thought you are getting here are correct. It tows fine with a half ton. If you already had one, I wouldn't upgrade. But if you are looking at a new tv, I would seriously consider the 3/4 ton. There isn't much price difference (assuming you don't go with a diesel) and you get a huge upgrade in payload (again, assuming you don't go diesel).

I think that is what your decision boils down to - payload. I weighed our IKSS and the tongue was close to 850 with 2 batteries on the tongue. Trailer axles were 5200, so no issue there and 2,000 pounds below the max tow rating for the truck. But the rear axle was within 50 pounds of its rated capacity. A couple times a year we take 3 kayaks with us, and when I weighed the rig, I didn't have much firewood, no bikes or kayaks and was pretty well out of payload.

I'm starting to look around for our next tv, and until I really started looking, had never considered a 3/4 ton but may go that way. Seems like overkill, but it would be nice to have the payload to throw whatever we want into the bed and go without worrying about weight. We try hard not to bring stuff we don't need, but the bikes & kayaks can add up. There are plenty of passionate threads here on gas vs. diesel, but I think you make a really good case for 3/4 ton gasser over a half ton, especially considering the fact that there isn't much difference in price.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #17

Quote:
2013 Ram 1500. 5.7 hemi.....more than enough power and brake for a 5000 lb dry camper. P tires also. Got about 30000 on the tires so talked to a friend who owns an independent tire store. He suggested staying with p tires because the tradeoff in ride harshness wouldn't be worth it. I personally have never felt unsafe with the stock Goodyears but I will upgrade to Bridgestones when I get tires next year. Get a good wdh and a half ton will be fine ( unless there is that possibility of a much bigger unit in the future).
Off topic but worth mentioning- I wouldn't recommend Bridgestones. They came on my new 2015 Silverado and they suck. Uneven wear on the outside, attributed by dealer to tire design. Actually showed me the truck on the alignment rack and it was within spec.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:06 AM   #18

long bed...

I think a 1/2 ton should do ya....but i learned that pickups with 8ft beds are alot better to tow trailers...They offer alot more stability than the short beds.....longer wheel bases=more stability especialy with trailers'''good luck...n dont buy a government motors truck ,iv'e learned my lesson on those too...
Old 10-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #19

We tow ours with a Ford Explorer. It's a 2014 and we are thinking about selling it. I can tow it but hook up will not work when I want to travel with my friends. They are not experienced to guide me like my DH does. We may look at motorhomes soon.
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
dudleydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:13 AM   #20
Mod free 5er

Quote:
... He suggested staying with p tires because the tradeoff in ride harshness wouldn't be worth it...
He is blowing smoke. Go to a LR D or E and let the pressure down when not towing and you won't be able to tell the difference in the ride. VOE