Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #1

What can we do about purple mold or mildew stains on the awning?

We LOVE our Roo 23ss and have used it a total of 16 nights on 5 trips since we got it in October! I am always anxious to take it out to play and count the days until we can go out and play again! This week-end we took it to Galveston Island for our first beach camping trip. When we got there we opened the awning and noticed a combination of black, purple, and pink mold and/or mildew. We sponged it off as best we could there and sprayed with a 1 part bleach, 2 parts water solution and let it dry. That seemed to get all but some of the purple staining out. Any suggestions? Lesson learned...ALWAYS make sure the awning is completely dry before storing even for a couple of weeks. HELP!!
wiesenbornk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #2

I use bleach with a lil dishwashing soap for suds in my pump up sprayer and then i wet the awning then spray the solution.. Then i use a truck washing brush on a long extending pole ,scrub a lil then hose off... It usually gets all the mildew off . I was told that the water is wicking through the ends of the awning when closed during rainstorms and one solution is to cover the awning when closed and not in use with vinyl rain gutter .. the memorial weekend trip i am going to get the gutter and try it out...
shamrock233s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:30 PM   #3

I have a friend who sprays his awning with a 10% bleach solution and then rolls it up for 30 minutes or so before unrolling it and hosing it off. I have not tried this, though.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #4

We've used those "Magic Eraser" pads with good results on our 2003 Palamino; it took mildew and dirt off very easily although it did take 4-5 pads for the job. Don't know if there are chemicals in them that are harmful to the awing fabric, though.
rwhmtnfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #5

I have had good luck with a solution of bleach and water.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions! I will try them. I was thinking about trying the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. The problem is that we can't open the awning at the storage place unless the neighbor has his RV out. We're in between two huge bus RV's.
wiesenbornk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #7

bleach and water .. a 50 -50 solution.. sray it on .. go inside .eat lunch ,, then hose off and scrub with a stiff bristle brush...

Tags
awning