Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2015, 09:43 AM   #1

What happens when bunk ends are closed?

The dealer is pretty far away and one thing we did not do is check out the shamrock when closed. We expect to use one bunk end very rarely and there may be times we don't use either one. Trying to find images on the internet with a hybrid closed is definitely not easy. What can I expect when using the camper with the ends closed? Does most of the canvas and mattress stay largely behind the pull curtains or does everything pretty much flop forward on the floor/dinette, etc.

Thanks!
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #2

The mattress stays on the bunk. The mattress folds up and when you close up the bunk, the window support holds the whole thing together. The canvas is contained within the bunk. With my Roo,the floor space is very limited as would need to open the slide outs in order to use my trailer.
syogerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:10 AM   #3

Thank you! So are you saying if I closed those privacy curtains, most of the bunk ends would be pretty much hidden (within reason, of course)?

I realize without the ends open it is quite a bit smaller but we primarily camp just my wife and I, though our teenage boys do join once or twice a year. I love sleeping under canvas, the wife not so much. The thing is we are very close to just going with an r-pod but it occurred to me that a hybrid, when closed, provides us essentially the same layout as the r-pod but also has the benefit of a huge bathroom and fridge.

With either one we will be converting a dinette for our bed but the hybrid also gives the option for a full-time bed if we wanted to use the bunk ends. Of course it is a little heavier, a little bigger, lacks an r-dome and has a high chance of leaking. Decisions...decisions.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
Site Team

there was a recent post here, asking a similar question.
i posted a link to RVW's Video Library, where there's a ton of YouTube videos on the Roo and a number of them show how to take down and set up the bunk ends.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #5

Dealers and their PDI's..... Geez...
When we were doing the PDI on our Roo, the guy doing it didn't have a clue.
He told us that the beds ahd to be removed before closing the ends.
He removed one bed, stuffed it behind the slideout as it closed and promptly walked outside and had me close the other bed without removing the mattress.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #6

We always opened the bed ends in our Shamrock. There aren't many windows in a hybrid and it's dark when not opened up. If you don't intend to upen up the hybrid, you are probably better off with a pod. We thought our grown children would sleep in the hybrid but they preferred to bring their own tents.
Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #7

Thanks Maris, that is good feedback. It isn't that we wouldn't open them, it is just more likely that when my wife is with me we would only open them in the afternoon to let the outside in and close them at night.

When I camp alone (about half the time)...I would always sleep in them. I am a tent guy and I sleep better in canvas.

We do really like the r-pods as well for their simplicity...but if the tent ends of a hybrid tuck in nicely you can basically have an r-pod with a big fridge and bathroom.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #8

Sponge - the Rockwood Mini-Lites look like nice small units. Minimal set up involved and a separate bathroom. Putting the bed ends down in the day & back up at night would get to be a pain. We did move from tent camping to a hybrid & loved it. Getting older though and are moving on to an enclosed trailer. Enjoy your search.
Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:28 PM   #9

we had a hybrid before this latest camper, and we had 3 beds that folded out. 2 queensize , (one on each end) and then on the street side we had a double size bed that folded out. if it were just my hubby and I we would leave one of the end ones (the one on the back end of camper) folded up and we wouldfold the double bed out and use it for our clothes storage, then we slept on the front queen size fold out. having them folded up or closed as you say it, never affected the floor size but it did affect where we put our clothes because there wasn't much storage for that to begin with.
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 05:35 PM   #10

our mattresses stored behind the privacy curtains, but to fold the beds up or be in the closed we had to take them out of the beds to fold the beds up, then the mattresses stored up against the folded up beds held in place by elastic bands provided by the camper maker.
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:06 AM   #11
Broken Toe

Rear bunk is not an issue, we rarely use it and you never even know its back there.

Front bunk... The canvas does "hang out" a little. It's not intrusive, but you know its there.

Here's a picture I found of a 21ss front bunk closed up from inside. It honestly could be a little neater than this if you took a minute to smooth things out...

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:47 AM   #12

Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for. Perfect.

Just as you said, if we settle on the shamrock I would expect to open the rear bunk less than a few times a year, though it will be nice to have the option. The front one would likely be used each time.

With the door opening right by the rear bunk I was a little worried I would be shoving canvas out of the way walking in. Clearly that is not a worry at all.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:00 PM   #13

Look at the coachmen freedom Express 254dsx if I wish i would have seen his model before I bought my roo the best of TT and hybrid together.

2014 roo 233S. 2008 saab 97x
dado39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:34 PM   #14

That coachman is in fact one of the coolest campers I have seen...thanks for pointing it out. The big problem is that it is 30 feet long. That is 9 feet longer and 1500 pounds heavier and 200 pound heavier tongue weight than the Roos/Rocks.

While I love canvas, my real reason to look hybrid is for the shorter tow, easier backing and lighter weight. Very cool concept though!
Old 02-07-2015, 08:13 AM   #15

Ok I am still confused as I am finding two different reports on the 2015 model. In the Velcro, non-strapped version...is it possible to leave the mattresses stood up when turtled or do they fall in/lean in? Google searches give both reports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-07-2015, 08:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge View Post
Ok I am still confused as I am finding two different reports on the 2015 model. In the Velcro, non-strapped version...is it possible to leave the mattresses stood up when turtled or do they fall in/lean in? Google searches give both reports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
We have a new Shamrock 233S that we have not camped it yet. It has a strip of velcro on the mattress and bunk right where it folds up. I'm guessing to keep it in place but it doesn't work very well and our mattresses slide out from the bottom some. I'm going to have to work on that because it drives me crazy. It doesn't really matter on the back bunk but the front one gets in the way. It's been to cold and snowy to open it up and look better. Hurry up Spring!

2015 Shamrock 233S
2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
jmh1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 09:40 AM   #17

Thanks, that is sort of disappointing. Hopefully there is a way to rig something up to keep them pulled back. I wonder why on earth they would have removed the snaps???
Old 02-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #18

Someone did a mod where they put a closet rod in front of where the mattress folds up so it doesn't stick out. Actually looks nice when it's folded up and no more worrying about it falling out when turtle'd.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...3ss-74402.html

Last pic in first post.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s
thestrangebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge View Post
That coachman is in fact one of the coolest campers I have seen...thanks for pointing it out. The big problem is that it is 30 feet long. That is 9 feet longer and 1500 pounds heavier and 200 pound heavier tongue weight than the Roos/Rocks.

While I love canvas, my real reason to look hybrid is for the shorter tow, easier backing and lighter weight. Very cool concept though!
Palomino has a shorter version of that concept:

Palomino RV - Manufacturer of Quality RVs since 1968=

Which Roo/Shamrock floorplan are you looking at? If there is a bathroom wall or wardrobe against the bunk it should hold the mattress no matter what. Even across an open end, if the newer style doesn't stay up, you should be able to add a small bar to hold it up out of the way if needed.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:09 PM   #20

Thank you all! The closet rod mod looks perfect and sheesh...I didn't even think about the bathroom wall keeping it from falling forward. Now I see what you mean when you say the back bunk is no issue.

I am looking at the 21dk but I will check out those links.