Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
rbq

what happens when slide lock turned the wrong way

Friday night we went for an overnighter at a favorite fishing hole. While getting things set up outside I asked my wife to remove the slide lock, (something I have always done). She tightened it instead of loosening it & popped the decorative rail loose across the front of the slide that the lock is up against. It is just hooked on in the middle with brad nails and when we tried to push it back in the brads didn't line up & now they are sticking through the front of the fabric. I will have to pull them out & then get my brad nailer out & renail it into place. Hope that there was no other damage.
rbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I put a large label over the slide switch when the locks are in place. I move the label to the door covering the switch when I remove the lock and restore it when the locks go back in.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:27 PM   #3

The same rail came loose on mine too. When I brought it in to get it repaired the dealer told me to stop using the slide lock. Makes set up quicker!
Old 06-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #4

My good friend had a similar incident.
He went outside to do something, and his better half decided she wanted to help, so started extending the superslide. Unfortunately, he hadn't removed the locks yet, and she was too dense to stop pushing the button. Needless to say, it looked pretty ugly from outside.
Amazingly, there was no damage.
Lesson; Have a system, and stick to it.

Our slide locks have tags on strings that hang down in plain sight. If yours doesn't have them, make some up.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:31 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Our slide locks have tags on strings that hang down in plain sight. If yours doesn't have them, make some up.
Ours have the tags too. However, after a long nerve wracking day driving to the campground after a season break, they are easy to miss in our camper (especially if that wrench you are in a hurry looking for to set up, is hidden in a drawer now blocked by the slide).
Old 06-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #6

I have a Salem 26TBUD TT... I'm new to TT's and slide outs... What's a slide lock and should I be using one? Do I have one? What do they do? So confused, thanks for any help.
brianb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:39 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Slide Locks

From what I have been able to figure out, slide braces are used in campers that have a rack and electric motor driven pinion (mechanical) system for opening and closing the slide and possibly just the small slides (perhaps heavy slides don't need them?).

The reasoning I was given is that since there is no retention at the top and the slide itself is slanted outwards, and the only retention at the bottom is the nylon gear in the slide rack, the potential is high for the slide to open if bounced off the nylon teeth.

The unit (rack) is designed to hop on those teeth and is the noise you hear when the slide is run all the way in and you hear a ratcheting sound.

By installing the locking bar, you "torque" the slide inward and pre-load the nylon gear preventing the potential hopping open. Additionally, pulling the top in slightly will help seal the top of the slide from water intrusion in heavy rain.

Installing the bar on a slight angle with the slide end down on the seal (NOT THE TRIM) and the wall end in the marked box will retain the slide and seal the upper outside seal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Slide Braces 001.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	6151   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Slide Braces 002.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	6152   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Slide Braces 003.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	6153   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper Slide Braces 005.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	6154  
Old 06-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #8

If they pop the trim off that easily, how much good do you think that they actually do???? I can pull my slide room trim off with very little effort with one hand. The seal is angled in such a way that it can't be used to support that end on it, so I don't use them. You can however find other uses for them, like a towel bar, etc. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #9

The Vlite campers must be made a lot cheaper than the fifth wheels, as our trim is attached very solidly, and there is no tendancy to pull off.
Considering how rough the highways are getting, the slide locks are a good idea. If you have them, use them.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Randy,

It takes all kinds to make a world and your experience does differ from mine. I am a believer in the reason for, and the use of, the locks when traveling.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:42 PM   #11
rbq

Just a follow up on this. I pulled some of the brad nails that were sticking out. They are 1 1/4" long. I hammered in the ones that were mostly in so they were tight & then took my brad nailer & hit them with 6 or 7 brads across the trim board. No more gap there & the fix looks good. Now I'll just flip a coin as to whether I use the lock again. Didn't use it coming home & no ill affects so may just not use it at all. We'll see.
rbq is offline   Reply With Quote