Old 05-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #1

What is the thick stuff?

Hello All,

I already posted a thread about my skylight problem, but it was getting long-winded so I thought I would ask a specific question in this thread (sorry moderators, Im not trying to make a mess of the forum... ).

What exactly IS the thick beads of stuff around the edges of everything on the roof? It doesn't look like it came out of a caulk gun... it looks like it was "poured" in lines around everything?

I ask because I have to replace said skylight and need to know if I have to use this same stuff again, or if Eternabond tape on top of regular RV caulk will work?

Also, how to get the old stuff off? I don't want to harm the rubber roof material while I'm up there "learning" on my camper!

Thanks for any advice or answers!

James

Old 05-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

James,

You are fine with posting this one separately.

You want Dicor Lap Sealant although I use a similar Alpha sealant that I got for free. They are the same and both come in a self-leveling and non-leveling. Unless there is something really wrong with the old caulk, then simply clean the old caulk and caulk over it.

You can certainly go the EternaBond route. Look into some of the many posts in the forum. Quite the job with a lot of prep but its almost become the gold standard.

Never use silicone to seal your roof.

By the way, unless they changed it, you have an Alpha TPO roof - not a rubber roof. Rubber roof (AKA “EPDM”) membranes are smooth and will be slippery when wet. Alpha TPO roof membranes have a texture like an orange peel.

The important thing to remember is nothing with petroleum in it can ever go on the roof.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #3

I picked up my new 233S just a few weeks ago and was told that Dicor sealant will not work on Alpha and Alpha sealant will not work with Dicor. And that I need to make sure I purchase the Alpha since that is what was used when my trailer was built. I can't vouch for the validity of that statement. But it does remind me of the Formula 1 racing tire wars where competing tire manufacturers tried to make their rubber compounds act the same way....
Old 05-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #4

Dicor self levelling is what they use for sealing around the vents, skydome, antenna etc. I had to do a few touch up on my vent with a alpha membrane and it work perfect. There may be similar products on the market but this is what the dealers in this city are using also.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #5

Thank you Guys!

I guess I wasn't as clear as I could have been. I now understand that it is called Dicor. Does it come in a monster tube? How do you apply it? It looks like it was squeezed out of something much bigger than a normal caulk gun. Do I buy the gallon cans of it that I am seeing online? If so, how do I apply it from the can?

Triguy: I can't leave the old Dicor because I have to completely remove the skylight dome. Then clean the roof surface and start with a brand new dome (if that makes any sense?). I don't what to use to get the old Dicor off the roof.

Thank you so much for your help guys.... I really am not as dumb as my questions. I have spent many a day remodelling houses, so I know a bit about the application of caulk... I've just never seen anything like the "lava flows" around everything on the roof of an RV!

James
Old 05-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #6

Okay.... I educated myself a little more

Alright,

After reading and reading, I now know "how" Dicor is applied. As you probably already know, it does, indeed come in a small tube. MAN I feel dumb!

However, I still need to know how to scrape, pull, whipe or whatever the old Dicor off.

Thanks again!

James
Old 05-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I should have been more detailed about the self leveling caulk. I use a regular caulk gun to touch up and it does spread out a bit. We'd have to see a picture of the caulking on your roof, but I think that's what you are seeing.

You're right that you will want to remove the old caulk when replacing the skylight. This might be a good time to try the EternaBond but be carefully as its effectively permanent.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
I should have been more detailed about the self leveling caulk. I use a regular caulk gun to touch up and it does spread out a bit. We'd have to see a picture of the caulking on your roof, but I think that's what you are seeing.

You're right that you will want to remove the old caulk when replacing the skylight. This might be a good time to try the EternaBond but be carefully as its effectively permanent.
Triguy,
When you say "effectively permanent"... you sound hesitant at the idea. With your vast experience compared to mine, would you re-Dicor or eternabond the edges of the new skylight? I'm thinking ahead about things like "what if a tree branch falls and cracks the new dome... will I be able to get the cracked one back off after using eternabond?"

Thoughts?

James
Old 05-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

My experience with EternaBond is watching a neighbor trying to scrape off a piece after he slipped and put the piece down where he shouldn't.

There are a few members on our forum who have eternabond'd their trailers and I'll bow to their expertise. They know their way around it. I'll see if I can point one to your question.

I actually think EternaBond is a great idea and plan to do it myself. But...it is a long term solution with all the pros and cons that go with that.

Until then, I use caulk and it's been very effective.

2012 Shamrock 233S
Old 05-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #10

Thank you Scott.

I guess I will research just HOW permanent eternabond is before taping down something I might have to remove at a later date.

James