Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2011, 07:40 PM   #1

What is your overall satisfaction with your Roo?

Our search has led us to the Roo 233S, and we are imminently placing our order. Does anybody have an opinion or advice they'd like to share regarding their experience with a Rockwood Roo product? Input is greatly appreciated!
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #2

I am 98% happy with my 233s! The only thing I really dislike is the the wobby, but it seems to be a problem across the board with Rockwood.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #3

lol... What is a wobby?
Old 08-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #4
rbq

We've had our 233S since February. Have enjoyed it a lot. Problems have been minimal. We just had Forest River replace the air conditioning vents as the ones that came with the trailer would not stay open. They have been very good about fixing the two problems that we have had. The original problem was that they installed the wrong cables on the side bed and they sent new ones right out so that we could use the trailer. We're satisfied with it. Most owners are. Hope that you enjoy yours.
rbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:39 AM   #5

We had a 23SS and loved it, the wobby was stopped with wheel locks. The only issue we had was the front bunk door leaking when it was closed. I understand that they have re-engineered the door to stop the leak issues.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:16 AM   #6

My wheel locks (X-Chocks) must not be working properly. (NOT wobby, wobble! LOL, yesterday was a very long horrible day.)
Previously:
Old 08-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #7

Smile Waiting Delivery of A 233S

Went from tent to popup over 30 years of camping. We spent the month of July researching and looking at hybrids. The 233S was the best we could find with features and options we wanted. We pick our 233S up in October. I am very concerned about the "wobble" issue, too. That was the only thing I saw that was unacceptable. The solutions I have read about the problem at this site seem to be "doable". We bought the 233S without seeing the 2012 decor changes. "Sight unseen" purchases are a gamble. We gambled on the decor even though internet pics were all we saw. The "advisors" at this site seem to want one thing -- fun, hassle free camping. It is fascinating reading all the posts throughout the site. I recently saw a posting from a FR rep. That means "they" are watching, which in this case, is good.
UPGRADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Our Shamrock 233S is the same as the roo 233S except for the decals and interior colors.

It had been a few years since our last trailer and, when I began to look, we took about 6 months to research and visit various Roo, Shamrock, Surveyor and Jayco dealers to look at the hybrids.

We decided on the Shamrock/Roo 233S because of the floorplan and love it.

The problems we have had are minor:

1. Radio not working. This is a Genesis 2 radio/DVD/CD. The buttons on the radio lock up. The remote sometimes works while the unit is locked. I usually have to pull the fuse to shut it off or I am unable to get it to work at all. They're replacing it under warranty.

2. Left latch lock on side bunk and right latch lock on rear bunk each fell out of latches when locking/unlocking. I got both back into the door but am worried that the locks will come put permanently or while driving, etc. Not an immediate issue so I'll take it in and have the dealer replace it this fall after we are done for the year.

3. Cushion seam coming apart on one of the table cushions.

4. Top right burner on stove has trouble lighting. Two other burners light on first click. This is an adjustment that I just haven't made, yet.

5. Microwave door does not open reliably when button pushed.

Everything else has been pretty good. No leaks open or closed (knock on wood) and no structural issues.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:13 PM   #9

We have the Shamrock 21ss, a smaller unit than 233S, and we use X-Chocks to eliminate the wobby !!. Other than few minor repairs covered under warranty, we are very happy with the unit and price. We got the 21ss because of the space.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:39 PM   #10

Thanks for all of the responses (and clarification on the "wobby")! We ordered our 233S today, and were told to expect an October delivery :-). We look to joining your family!
Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
Old 08-25-2011, 06:35 PM   #11

We purchased a 2008 23ss used and only real issue we have had so far is the bunk seals. I contacted FR about it and they sent the newer seals out to me at no charge.

Our first trip in it I noticed the "wobble" also and purchased an x-chock for our next trip and wow they are well worth it.
SamKitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #12

What kind of x chocks do you guys have? I can still feel my kids roll over in bed! And my oldest is only 60lbs/10yrs old. I have BAL x chocks, do you make it them really, really tight? What's the secret!?
Previously:
Old 08-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #13
rbq

I have the x chocks as well. I tighten them up good & firm. One thing that I have noticed is the the trailer seems to "settle" after a day or so & I have found it necessary to tighten the stabilizer jacks a little to help with the wobble. Once I do that then things seem to settle down.
rbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:00 AM   #14

Chocks between the tires will also begin to loosen up as the tires cool. So rechecking them once your settled in is also a good idea.
Mr.Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #15

I have the Bal X-xhocks too. Like rbq and Mr. Beebo said check everything the next day or that evening to see if everything is still snug after the TT has "settled". Especialy if your TT is parked on dirt or gravel. The next day I would have to give my stabilizer jacks another 1/8 - 1/4 turn to snug them back up.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
5. Microwave door does not open reliably when button pushed.
I had that problem too and it was an easy fix for me, you should check this.

The oven is screwed to its metal frame on its side and is held in with 2 screws, one of them was loose, making the oven fall into the frame and the door got stuck when pushing the open door buttonm.

I removed the screws on the frame to the cabinet, pulled out everything and replaced the screws holding the oven to the frame with stronger ones.

Problem solved.

Good luck.
Old 08-26-2011, 11:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared View Post
I had that problem too and it was an easy fix for me, you should check this.

The oven is screwed to its metal frame on its side and is held in with 2 screws, one of them was loose, making the oven fall into the frame and the door got stuck when pushing the open door buttonm.

I removed the screws on the frame to the cabinet, pulled out everything and replaced the screws holding the oven to the frame with stronger ones.

Problem solved.

Good luck.
Thanks!!!
Gonna yank mine out now and hope I have same issue.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #18

Don't know if the 23SS has the same frame or not, but the Bal XChocks work really well on mine. There's a little bit of movement when someone is walking around briskly, but we don't feel anything when someone rolls over in bed. It's pretty stable.

By the way, I too tighten the xchocks pretty good.
dlhoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #19

SamKitz; I put the new Forest River seals on my 2007 and it helped a little. The problem I found was that the door was actually bowed in the middle. With the bunk door closed and latched, I climbed up and looked at the seal across the top of the door. It was tight at the corners, but there was about a 3/8" gap in the center, the door was bowed that much. The door is only made out of 1"x1" box aluminum and bows over time. One solution would be to put a support pole under the door when you open it and set up. Put the pole in the middle along what is the outer edge when set up. This will stop the bowing of the door while you sleep on it.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
SamKitz; I put the new Forest River seals on my 2007 and it helped a little. The problem I found was that the door was actually bowed in the middle. With the bunk door closed and latched, I climbed up and looked at the seal across the top of the door. It was tight at the corners, but there was about a 3/8" gap in the center, the door was bowed that much. The door is only made out of 1"x1" box aluminum and bows over time. One solution would be to put a support pole under the door when you open it and set up. Put the pole in the middle along what is the outer edge when set up. This will stop the bowing of the door while you sleep on it.
Thanks I will check mine to see if it is bowed. I have the new style seals just haven't installed them yet. At the moment the only leak issue I am having is driving in the rain.