Old 06-06-2014, 04:09 PM   #1

What keeps water out of the front bunk end/frame?

I recently dewinterized my 2009 Roo 233. Unfortunately the front bunk suffered some damage over the winter. The bunk end is delaminated near the hinge area and it feels a bit spongy on the inside. I'm always extremely careful that no canvas or bungie gets between the doors and seals.

Looking at the design of the front bunk, I have no idea how it keeps water out in the first place! The front is angled in to make it more aerodynamic but that also means that the frame for the front bunk end is leaning in. This seems like a perfect pocket for water to accumulate.

There are black seals around the perimeter of the opening that prevent water from getting around the door frame. When the end is closed, these seems to working adequately as there is no sign of water on the inside of the camper. When the end is open, the canvas is tight against the seal and all is good as well. What is confusing is that water can run down the outside of the seal (still within the frame opening) and pool in the bottom area near the hinge. Since the frame leans inwards, it's a great place for water to pool and I think it may have wicked up into the door and caused the delamination and bunk end sponginess.

It rained last night and sure enough, if I look under the rubber gasket that covers the hinge assembly, there is a nice pool of water. There is no way for it to drain either!

Back to my original problem, I've contacted FlaggRv (nearest Roo dealer in my area). They say they have experience fixing these kind of issues. I sent them my VIN and have been waiting a few days for a quote. I'm hesitant to fix it myself because I feel there are probably a lot of nuances to getting sealing it all up properly and doing any one of them wrong will result in another broken bunk end.

I'm hoping the sponginess won't cause the door to fall apart while we are out on our first trip if I don't get the end replaced before hand!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-05 19.09.36.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	54517  

Old 06-06-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

many hybrid owners, FR or not, find water intruding through the clearance lights above the bunk doors.
water gets through those holes and drains down to the bunk door area.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:49 PM   #3
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoso View Post
I recently dewinterized my 2009 Roo 233. Unfortunately the front bunk suffered some damage over the winter. The bunk end is delaminated near the hinge area and it feels a bit spongy on the inside. I'm always extremely careful that no canvas or bungie gets between the doors and seals.

Looking at the design of the front bunk, I have no idea how it keeps water out in the first place! The front is angled in to make it more aerodynamic but that also means that the frame for the front bunk end is leaning in. This seems like a perfect pocket for water to accumulate.

There are black seals around the perimeter of the opening that prevent water from getting around the door frame. When the end is closed, these seems to working adequately as there is no sign of water on the inside of the camper. When the end is open, the canvas is tight against the seal and all is good as well. What is confusing is that water can run down the outside of the seal (still within the frame opening) and pool in the bottom area near the hinge. Since the frame leans inwards, it's a great place for water to pool and I think it may have wicked up into the door and caused the delamination and bunk end sponginess.

It rained last night and sure enough, if I look under the rubber gasket that covers the hinge assembly, there is a nice pool of water. There is no way for it to drain either!

Back to my original problem, I've contacted FlaggRv (nearest Roo dealer in my area). They say they have experience fixing these kind of issues. I sent them my VIN and have been waiting a few days for a quote. I'm hesitant to fix it myself because I feel there are probably a lot of nuances to getting sealing it all up properly and doing any one of them wrong will result in another broken bunk end.

I'm hoping the sponginess won't cause the door to fall apart while we are out on our first trip if I don't get the end replaced before hand!
I'm a new Roo Owner and brand new right off the lot both of my Bunk Ends were leaking when closed. The dealer had to adjust the tension on the closing mechanisms. From my understanding, my bunk doors are the newer type so yours are different. After the Dealer did their work, I did notice a significant improvement. However, a little water is still coming in the front bunk when closed during heavy rains. I've noticed that some other hybrid makes and models have either recessed doors or gutters installed. I am sure this makes it harder for water to penetrate that top door seal. I'm going to install some type of rain deflectors or gutters above my door. I did notice the older models Roos have gutters. Wonder why they did away with them? Just wanted to share my story about leaky bunk ends.
Here is an interesting thread I found:
Bunk end water fix...cheap!
Old 06-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoso View Post

Mine has similar damage and short term solution is too do nothing. I now cover it during winter and it hasn't gotten any worse. Long term solution is to replace bunk . How to keep it from re occurring is a mystery to me as the water likes to pool in the hinge. Good luck

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Forest River Forums mobile app

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 06:21 AM   #5

Can you order replacement bunks from FR? How much?
Old 06-09-2014, 06:47 AM   #6
Canadian Member

Yes you can. You can order the complete door assembly including trim (on the door itself) and hinge, or just the core and you put the old trim and hinge on the new core.

Contact Sheri Dunlap at the factory.

sdunlap@forestriverinc.com
(574) 642-8940 direct number
(574) 343-5947 direct fax

When I replaced mine in 2012, the cores cost $210 plus $25 crating plus freight. The complete assembly cost $330 plus $40 crating plus freight.

You also have to order new seals and new decals for each door. If you have the old style latch with the black rubber pads you should replace the pads, too.

Here is a link to pics of the process on the older style bungee corded canvas.
https://plus.google.com/app/basic/ph...wa&gpsrc=pwrd1

Note that while replacement of the doors is possible, you have to figure out how they are leaking and stop the first. Believe me, I have the same problem.
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 09:51 PM   #7

I am new to the FR Forum and I have the same problem with the bunk doors. Before I do anything I want to find out how water is getting in. I have a 2005 Shamrock 232 with the old pad style locks. Can you convert to a newer style locking/clamping system or do I have to stay with the pad system?

2005 Shamrock 232
2006 Yukon Denali XL
Max. Towing Cap. 7,000lbs.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:36 PM   #8
Canadian Member

It would be helpful if you can post a pic of your current latches. If you have the cargo door latches like I have I can't see any reason to want to switch to the newest latches.

2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew with Max. Towing
10K Equal-i-zer
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:14 PM   #9

Here is a picture of a bunk door latch that's on my Shamrock. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1405480442.952683.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	604.8 KB
ID:	58277

2005 Shamrock 232
2006 Yukon Denali XL
Old 07-15-2014, 11:22 PM   #10

Correction. I have a 2003 Shamrock. I have to pay attention to the details.

2003 Shamrock 232
2006 Yukon Denali XL

Tags
frame, water