Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #101
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I just bought a Champion 3500w/4000w open frame generator, that many recommend because it cost less than $300.
I bought this for home usage, since I already own a Honda 2000w inverter generator.
So, you're comparing a $1K Inverter against a $300 Utility Generator??

You didn't Cheap Out on your Honda RV Generator, so why wouldn't you expect others to also Spend More for their Champion 2000W Inverter?? (Only HALF as much as your Honda...!!...)
__________________

__________________
Pup: '11 HW-296
TV: '09 RAM 1500 Hemi 4x4 CC
seigell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:03 PM   #102
Senior Member
 
BendOrLarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by seigell View Post
So, you're comparing a $1K Inverter against a $300 Utility Generator??

You didn't Cheap Out on your Honda RV Generator, so why wouldn't you expect others to also Spend More for their Champion 2000W Inverter?? (Only HALF as much as your Honda...!!...)
You are correct. This guy is comparing apples to oranges. I have a Champion 3100I it cost me $600.00 and I have heard Hondas of the same size and there is little difference in noise. Maybe he should compare an open frame Honda to his open frame Champion.
__________________

__________________
2009 Sunseeker 2860DS
Bulldog keyless entry
Firestone airbags
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #103
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I can now definitely state that I would NEVER subject anyone in a campground, to the Champion's noise level, compared to the Honda.
I agree with you here...

But I don't believe that ANY of the Utility Gennys should be allowed in Campgrounds - mainly due to Exhaust Volume. And because many of them DON'T have Spark Arrestors.
__________________
Pup: '11 HW-296
TV: '09 RAM 1500 Hemi 4x4 CC
seigell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:10 PM   #104
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,260
I was simply responding to all of those who recommend the Champion 3500w model for campgrounds usage.
I ALWAYS recommend using an inverter generator for campground use.
I also recommend the Champion 2000w inverter generator for those who don't want to spend the money for a H or Y unit.
I also highly recommend the Champion 3100w inverter generator for those who need more power.

I often get pushback from 3500w owners who accuse me of not knowing anything about the Champion 3500 and that it's fine for campgrounds.

So now I do and can personally advise others NOT to use one in a campground.
__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #105
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I often get pushback from 3500w owners who accuse me of not knowing anything about the Champion 3500 and that it's fine for campgrounds.
Yup. Similar Experiences. I even had one Toyhauler Rental where the RV Rental Agency INSISTED that an Open Frame Construction Generator was "Just Fine" to include in their Rig when the Built-in failed to Start-up on Inspection. The only "Just Fine" was when the NPS Ranger threatened to Fine me if I ran it again at Mather CG. (Was luckily only night scheduled in an Established CG for that Trip...)
__________________
Pup: '11 HW-296
TV: '09 RAM 1500 Hemi 4x4 CC
seigell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:07 PM   #106
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,260
I just did a noise level test with both, at the 23' standard distance, both with no load.

The Champion 3500's lowest reading was between 70db and 71db, on one side. The other sides were between 73db and 74db.

The Honda eco level was 56db. No eco was 63db.

BIG difference. And even if the National Park's noise level max is 70db, the Champion 3500 exceeds that. I think it's 65db max.
__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #107
Senior Member
 
BendOrLarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
I just did a noise level test with both, at the 23' standard distance, both with no load.

The Champion 3500's lowest reading was between 70db and 71db, on one side. The other sides were between 73db and 74db.

The Honda eco level was 56db. No eco was 63db.

BIG difference. And even if the National Park's noise level max is 70db, the Champion 3500 exceeds that. I think it's 65db max.
I still think you are attempting to confuse people. Is the Honda and the Champion both the same grade generator, that is, both are either invertors or open frame construction generators? To ever compare an open frame generator to an invertor generator regardless of brand is misleading. I have compared Honda invertor generators with Champion generators in camp grounds and there is VERY little db difference. The main difference in a Honda over the other brands of invertor generators is the excessive cost of the Hondas.
__________________
2009 Sunseeker 2860DS
Bulldog keyless entry
Firestone airbags
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:18 PM   #108
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendOrLarry View Post
I still think you are attempting to confuse people. Is the Honda and the Champion both the same grade generator, that is, both are either invertors or open frame construction generators? To ever compare an open frame generator to an invertor generator regardless of brand is misleading. I have compared Honda invertor generators with Champion generators in camp grounds and there is VERY little db difference. The main difference in a Honda over the other brands of invertor generators is the excessive cost of the Hondas.
not trying to confuse people. and most know that the Champion 3500 is NOT an inverter generator.
i'm only doing the comparison because the Honda 2000 inverter generator and the Champion 3500 non-inverter generator are the top two recommended generators on most RV forums, including this one.

my point is that i had heard how loud the Champion 3500 was but i had never owned one personally.
i do now and was able to compare it to my Honda 2000, so that i could state the facts personally.

and how did you reach your claim that there is "VERY little db difference"?
did you use a decibel measuring device?

a difference of 10db is HUGE on a logarithmic scale, which is how decibels are rated.
my Honda on Eco, is 15db less than my new Champion 3500 which has no Eco feature, therefore runs at full rpms and full noise level.

my point was to show, from my own personal experience, why an inverter generator is much more appropriate for campground usage, than a much cheaper non-inverter open frame generator, like the Champion 3500.

and i agree that there are lots of options now, for a quiet inverter generator, than having to purchase a Honda or Yamaha.
if i hadn't been able to get my Honda 2000, for $650 off of Craig's List, i would have bought a Boliy, Champion or Kipor inverter generator.
i still am considering selling my Honda 2000, to buy a Champion 3100 inverter generator.
__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #109
Georgia Frog Rally 2018
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 10,654
I still am impressed with my Boily 3600SI it even runs my 15000 btu ac and is almost as quiet as the Honda and half the cost an also has self start. Later RJD
__________________
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #110
Senior Member
 
BendOrLarry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
not trying to confuse people. and most know that the Champion 3500 is NOT an inverter generator.
i'm only doing the comparison because the Honda 2000 inverter generator and the Champion 3500 non-inverter generator are the top two recommended generators on most RV forums, including this one.

my point is that i had heard how loud the Champion 3500 was but i had never owned one personally.
i do now and was able to compare it to my Honda 2000, so that i could state the facts personally.

and how did you reach your claim that there is "VERY little db difference"?
did you use a decibel measuring device?

a difference of 10db is HUGE on a logarithmic scale, which is how decibels are rated.
my Honda on Eco, is 15db less than my new Champion 3500 which has no Eco feature, therefore runs at full rpms and full noise level.

my point was to show, from my own personal experience, why an inverter generator is much more appropriate for campground usage, than a much cheaper non-inverter open frame generator, like the Champion 3500.

and i agree that there are lots of options now, for a quiet inverter generator, than having to purchase a Honda or Yamaha.
if i hadn't been able to get my Honda 2000, for $650 off of Craig's List, i would have bought a Boliy, Champion or Kipor inverter generator.
i still am considering selling my Honda 2000, to buy a Champion 3100 inverter generator.
A couple of points. First I have never seen anyone saying the Champion non invertor generator was a better choice than any invertor generator that is why I say you are comparing apples to oranges and may be confusing people who don't understand you are comparing two VERY different generators.
Second, yes I use a DB meter when I say I have compared generators'. You basically pay double the price of a Champion 3100I (invertor generator) for a Honda (same size invertor generator) for 2 DB difference in noise. 2 DB is noticeable, but IMHO not worth twice the price. I'm just trying to reduce some confusion.
__________________

__________________
2009 Sunseeker 2860DS
Bulldog keyless entry
Firestone airbags
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
generator

« Tires | HD Antenna »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 AM.