Old 09-20-2015, 08:39 PM   #111

Champion 3100 inverter generator. Almost as quiet as a Honda for a fraction of the price, especially on econo mode. Rpm's ramp to whatever wattage is needed at that time.

Only issue was the small crappy tires, so I put a lift kit and bigger tires on it .Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442795945.097179.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	364.5 KB
ID:	89398

Jim

Old 09-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #112
Moderators' Assistant

well, i've been on various RV forums(not just this one)for the past 13 years and have read nearly every generator thread on all of them.

RV.net has a Champion 3500 thread that's thousands of post long alone.

there are hundreds out there that promote the Champion 3500 open frame generator all the time, for campground use.
most praise its cheap price, which is a fact. but many of them have the "I don't care about others" attitude, regarding how much louder an open frame generator is, compared to an inverter generator.

if you have a Champion 3100, congrats because that is one of the best affordable choices out there, for an inverter generator that can run most everything a RVer would need.
it has very good noise level ratings and i would buy one in an instant if i needed a new one for camping.

you do understand that i've been talking about the Champion 3500/4000 generator, not the 3100 generator, right?

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:09 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler View Post
Champion 3100 inverter generator. Almost as quiet as a Honda for a fraction of the price, especially on econo mode. Rpm's ramp to whatever wattage is needed at that time.

Only issue was the small crappy tires, so I put a lift kit and bigger tires on it .Attachment 89398

Jim
I agree the stock tires don't work in gravel.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:13 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
well, i've been on various RV forums(not just this one)for the past 13 years and have read nearly every generator thread on all of them.

RV.net has a Champion 3500 thread that's thousands of post long alone.

there are hundreds out there that promote the Champion 3500 open frame generator all the time, for campground use.
most praise its cheap price, which is a fact. but many of them have the "I don't care about others" attitude, regarding how much louder an open frame generator is, compared to an inverter generator.

if you have a Champion 3100, congrats because that is one of the best affordable choices out there, for an inverter generator that can run most everything a RVer would need.
it has very good noise level ratings and i would buy one in an instant if i needed a new one for camping.

you do understand that i've been talking about the Champion 3500/4000 generator, not the 3100 generator, right?
Maybe if you would use the proper model numbers including the "I" when describing a generator you wouldn't be misleading folks who don't keep up with the nomenclature and it's difference.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:41 PM   #115

I've also had the 4000 non inverter generator. It worked well, but much louder than the 3100 inverter. We just had 2 inverters side by side for our two campers, and we could only hear the 4000 watt in the other side of our group.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:45 PM   #116

What a great idea!
Old 09-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #117
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendOrLarry View Post
Maybe if you would use the proper model numbers including the "I" when describing a generator you wouldn't be misleading folks who don't keep up with the nomenclature and it's difference.
Looks to me you just want to argue.....
Old 09-21-2015, 12:44 PM   #118

An argument is the last thing I want. I just get a little irritated at people who are not clear or accurate with these types of discussions. If you love your over priced Honda then that's great but there are many other more cost effective brands that are very quiet and very suitable for campgrounds.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #119

Seeing as this thread is discussing noise, has anyone tried running one of those long pipes from the exhaust out the top? If so, does it stop or greatly reduce the noise?
Old 09-21-2015, 02:56 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOODMAN View Post
Seeing as this thread is discussing noise, has anyone tried running one of those long pipes from the exhaust out the top? If so, does it stop or greatly reduce the noise?

I'm assuming you're asking about an onboard.

It seems to help greatly with heat and gas looming under the trailer. Also it keeps the hot exhaust away from the air intake.

As far as noise goes... Not really. If I put on all 3 pipe stacks our actually makes a harmonic noise inside the TH, if I just use 2 pipes there is no additional whining noise.

Tags
generator

« Tires | HD Antenna »