Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2015, 12:24 PM   #21

I have a Yamaha 2400 inverter. Quiet and reliable.[/QUOTE]

Will it pull the A/C?
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #22

Champion 4000 in back of truck.....runs all in trailer.....for sensitive equipment run inverter off of battery...for wifes apnea machine, tv and computer.....for drip coffee use coleman stove top full size pot.....that way no gen noise till midmorning....and always ask neighbors if they mind a gen battery charge session if they are around..
Most campgrounds gen time is during daylight hours till about 10 at night....for me made sense to buy the pull start under $300 and see just what needs are....so far have run it more to use chain saw getting firewood....have run it all night when overnighting at truck stop in hot weather.....whos going to hear it over all those trucks.....also run it in rest area when need 110 in trailer .....sometime at walmart too....good luck, on whatever you get.....start it once a month or more for trouble free starts.....

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:13 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marines0811 View Post
Buy a expensive Honda or go with a
Champion 3500-Watt Remote Start Generator from Cabelas at 1/3 the cost?
I have a Yamaha EF3000iseb. The unit is very quiet, it stays in the back of my truck and you cant really hear it running when you are 25 or 30 feet away. If you are inside the camper (hardsided with windows open) you cannot hear it unless you really pay attention to it. Those "other" Chinese generators may cost a lot less but they are noisier, and do not hold up. I have a few friends that bought those cheaper units over the years and they got rid of them because they stop functioning. Some people buy the smaller Honda or Yamaha generators that you can pair up with a parallel kit for more power. Whatever you get make sure its a quiet inverter generator...you don't want to be that person with the screaming generator!!!
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #24

I've been concerned that portable generators could catch on fire after a long time running. Is this a valid fear?

Has anyone found a box that reduces the noise on these little generators? I familiar with noise suppressing boxes for big (50K or more) ones.
GorgePod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:57 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorgePod View Post
I've been concerned that portable generators could catch on fire after a long time running. Is this a valid fear?
NO
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #26
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Has anyone found a box that reduces the noise on these little generators? I familiar with noise suppressing boxes for big (50K or more) ones.
When I use mine it runs 14 hrs at a time.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "15 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #27

We have 2, a Honda 2000 we bought and an older Honda branded 4200 we 'inherited'. Have used the 2000 to charge things back up and the 30 amp 4200 to RUN things!
Oh, and if you have the availability, use the non-ethanol premium!!! Had to have the older Honda carb rebuilt last year due to the ethanol messing it up. When we got the newer 2000 we were told from day one do NOT use ethanol gas and we have the premium available nearby but worth the trip to keep generators and chainsaws running right.
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #28

Quote:

i can tell you not to point the exhaust at a plastic gas can in 100 degree heat

I have 2 champion 2000w inverters generators a parallel kit which I got for under $1000. I ran it all weekend camping in Noblesville In for A/C. I used a extended run kit and had nothing to worry about.

The 2 generators are each 50 lbs so i can move them easily, 1 decibel louder than the honda and less than half price. I put them in the back of my truck with a camper shell and its hard to hear them if you aren't behind the truck
Old 07-22-2015, 02:47 PM   #29

Champion 4000 Watt Portable Generator it has a 30amp receptacle built in. and it quieter than most. its not a honda or yamaha but the db's are normal. I had it running in the back of truck last weekend and wife was outside and asked whats that noise. I told her the generator. She was like that's not loud at all.
it cost me under $325 with extended warranty. NOW I do run high test non-ethanol gas in it. that's not cheap around here.
randy
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
NO

Quite succinct. Can you elaborate?
GorgePod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:20 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Quite succinct. Can you elaborate?
Having been a member of 7 RV forums, over the past 11 years, I have NEVER read or heard of any such thing happening.
And I guarantee you that if it had happened, someone would've posted about it.
But you're welcome to find any evidence of it occurring.
I have read of those not allowing for proper ventilation, messing up their inverter generator.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #32

I use a Kipor 3500, run it 10-15 hrs when dry camping, no problems. Quiet and and heat doesn't seem to be a problem.
GmanHawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
I have 2 champion 2000w inverters generators a parallel kit which I got for under $1000. I ran it all weekend camping in Noblesville In for A/C. I used a extended run kit and had nothing to worry about.

The 2 generators are each 50 lbs so i can move them easily, 1 decibel louder than the Honda and less than half price. I put them in the back of my truck with a camper shell and its hard to hear them if you aren't behind the truck
This is great news. We just purchased two Champion's today. The parallel kit is on order.

2000W Inverter Generator (CSA) - Champion Power Equipment

Note the Canadian CSA models are each rated for only 1600 W continuous, with the US model 1700 W. No idea why. Came on sale at Canadian Tire for a fantastic deal, $499 CDN each. Literally sold out all stock in the entire city! Had to go 40 km out of town to find the last two.

We also wanted the ability to move them around easily. The Champion is about 12 lb lighter than our thirty year old 1000 W Honda. It is also WAY quieter; according to the specs only 1 db louder than the current small Honda parallel models that are kind of the benchmark units.

We really like the stackable design; we use a van so don't have the option to leave the units in the tow vehicle. Hoping I can set them up on my rear cargo platform and just run the shore power cord to them. We have never been able to run A/C before, so kind of looking forward to that feature.

We are OK with giving the Champion brand a shot from what we have read on the interweb. That said, the Honda has lasted three trailers and two tow vehicles with just the odd tune-up.

Cheers!

Stu
2011 Ford Econoline Club Wagon
stugilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendOrLarry View Post
Cant beat the Champion 3100I generator for the money I like the Honda only because it's a couple of DB's quieter. My Champion runs the AC just fine and will run all night on a tank of gas.
X2 got mine at Cabelas for 799. It makes no more noise as my friends Yamaha and I've had no issues with it.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:25 AM   #35

I've got 2X Champion's and the parallel kit. Marked one #1 and the other #2. since I can equalize approx hours, since I don't often run both (not using AC much). Like the individual lesser weights, since I often only take one if doing more remote,(fewer loads) type tent and van camping which we also do. Stacking is great for saving weight in the van or truck bed. I generally have transported them pretty much empty of fuel, but that's just a "me" thing. Have also used one on my sailboat to recharge batteries, and also run an induction type stove "burner: One will just carry that load at about 1300-1400 watts. and have used that approach when 'basic" camping as well
Old 07-23-2015, 10:05 AM   #36

I have a Champion 3100 peak / 2800 running inverter generator being delivered today. Costco has it on sale for $699 which is hard to beat. If money were no object, I'd get a pair of Honda 2000's with the parallel kit, but we will only use the generator a few times a year so I just couldn't justify the $2000+ price tag of that setup.
Special thanks to Bikendan for giving me some very good advice prior to the purchase.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:29 PM   #37

Depends a bit your RV and what you expect out it and who is going to run it.

We have a Honda 3000is for our house as a back up. It has electric start and is very quiet. The draw back here is that it is very heavy.

For our 5th wheel I wanted something that is lite, easy to run and easy accessible so my wife could start it without having to lug it around. Running the AC was also a requirement.

We opted for a EF 2400 isHC Yamaha. It is only about 70 lbs, quiet and reliable. It runs everything including the AC.

We had a generator box custom built to fit the generator and installed it on the back bumper. To run it we just open up the main door (can be used 1/3 open if raining) the air intake door and exhaust door, start it up, and plug the cord in around the corner.

We had to extend the rear bumper to make this work. It all runs fine, we did Yukon and Alaska last year for about 3 months. Very easy to use, but a bit of extra cost to have built and installed.

This works very well for us.

Good luck.
My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:02 AM   #38

Generator Choice

I'm with Fonzie. Got the Yamaha third season...good clean quiet power...doesn't upset your neighbours. I have electric start but wish I had gone remote, but hey going out of the trailer before breakfast isn't the worst!
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 02:11 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
I have a Yamaha 2400 inverter. Quiet and reliable.

Will it pull the A/C?[/QUOTE]

Put a volt meter on you ac outlet an give it a try. Be sure wh is not on electric ad that's about 1300 watts. No microwave hairdryer etc etc and try it. Don't let it run if voltage drops too low. Maybe 105 minimum.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 05:18 AM   #40

What kind of generator do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lckeehne View Post
I have two Honda EU2000 units. Works great.

I also use a large battery bank and inverter with 100 amp battery charger. In my Sierra 5th wheel.

I can run microwave, toaster etc....

Having the honda around are great and nice quiet.

And you can take one as a stand alone tailgating.

Our new camper has an Onan 4000. I still kept one of the Hondas.

Tags
generator

« Tires | HD Antenna »