Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 08:38 PM   #61

If your going to spend the money get something that you will be happy with long term. I have never regretted getting my Honda.
Kansas Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:49 PM   #62
Gold Miner At Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferguson65 View Post
I plan to go with a pair of Hondas. Silence is golden. Been to campgrounds with inconsiderate neighbors with the noisy cheapies and it makes you want to go put sugar in it. If you ever want to move it, I'd look at either a single or pair of the Honda EU2000is's. A buddy has a EU3000is, and while it is a really nice generator, I can't get it out of the truck and on the ground myself, it's just too heavy. For the same money you can have a pair of EU2000is's, parallel kit, and ~1000 more watts in a package one person can manage(~50 lbs each)
I own two Honda EU2000is's with the parallel kit. Easier to lift one at a time. Have owned them for about 10 years and would purchase the same. I can just start either one or both for the AC.
Papa-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:08 PM   #63
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marines0811 View Post
Ugh ! Probably just wait and save up and get the dual Honda 2000iu. I can borrow my buddies 3000iu tell then when I need it.
good decision, especially if you plan on using your generator in a campground.

that open-frame contractor style Champion is fine for boondocking at the motor races or concerts or the desert, but not in a campground.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #64

I also run 2 Honda eu2000i's w/parallel kit. I made a 3 gallon extended tank for it. Easy setup. Run what you need. I have ran my 13,500 A/C with the Companion (It was my first purchase), but it was working hard and I suggest not to use it for that purpose. With the extended tank I can run longer than the eu3000i. I also have 4000 watts peak. It's nice to have 55-60 lb. generators for mobility however they can be easy to steal. Get the (pricey) metal handle covers so a thief cannot hacksaw through the plastic handle if you have it chained. Its just a deterrent like a chain. If they want it they will get it.

Now the eu3000i is a nice machine. It is definitely more quite than any other Honda out there. It is hefty so a lot more difficult to steal. Remote start is an awesome option through some vendors. If you have bed space in your truck and can leave the eu3000i in there (chained maybe), it would be convenient unless it is hot and your running A/C and you need to leave camp. A buddy of mine has one and uses a simple hoist from his garage ceiling to put it in an out of his bed.

There are pros and cons to each setup. You just have to figure out what works best for you if you want to go Honda and run A/C, microwave, etc.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:13 PM   #65

I guess it all comes down to ford,dodge or chevy. Gas or diesel. For me the idea of 20 hrs of run time is nice. I borrowed my brothers 2000 genny and his 2000 companion and I'm convinced my 8 yr old could have set it up and started it . But when both were running g it was louder then the 3000 and ultimately I like simplicity and I'm lazy! One and done!
1st timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:13 PM   #66

What kind of generator do you use?

Has anyone ran a 13,500 AC with just one 2000 Honda? I have never tried and wondered if there was nothing else on if it would pull it? I know it really puts a strain on it when I fire up the electric coffee maker or the microwave. I am just curious. Actually, too chicken to try.
Kansas Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:33 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Camper View Post
Has anyone ran a 13,500 AC with just one 2000 Honda? I have never tried and wondered if there was nothing else on if it would pull it? I know it really puts a strain on it when I fire up the electric coffee maker or the microwave. I am just curious. Actually, too chicken to try.
I went out 2 weeks ago hoping to test the paralleled 2000s and it was very cold at night. We ended up putting on the heat. I did run the 2 genies to charge batteries and the kids watched a movie while lights were on . They were louder then I thought they would be.
1st timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:29 AM   #68

Anyone run the Champion 3100 inverter? They are half the price but still quite.
Marines0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:56 AM   #69

Half the price for the Champion. But most likely half the life. Half the resale. Plus its louder. I personally have spent the money and went with the Honda. I picked the 3000. The only other company choice would be a Yamaha.
Zwicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:14 AM   #70

Anyone looked into the new Generac iQ2000? I just saw a mention on an Expedition Portal. We're probably not in the market for an inverter/generator until next Spring. But if this can hold up like a Honda (only time will tell) it might be a decent alternative?
drhroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:26 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhroo View Post
Anyone looked into the new Generac iQ2000? I just saw a mention on an Expedition Portal. We're probably not in the market for an inverter/generator until next Spring. But if this can hold up like a Honda (only time will tell) it might be a decent alternative?
Before I bought my Honda, I looked at just about every low cost option out there.... being a little "cheap", I just didn't want to pay the cost. Anyway, I found a significant amount of people that were very disappointed with the Generac inverters generators.

I thought about giving the Ryobi from Home Depot a try, but reviews seemed to suggest that they are problematic, too. It seemed to me that the only "low cost" option that was reasonably viable was Champion.... and even they seemed to have issues if you needed parts and/or service. I was going to buy a Champion (or two to run parallel) when my wife told me to stop playing around and get a Honda or Yamaha. I think she was just sick of talking about generators. Our Honda has been flawless so far, but this is our first season, and it only has about 60hrs on it. No complaints, though, quiet, powerful enough, and reliable for our needs.

Good luck on your decision!
LandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:47 PM   #72
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwicker View Post
Half the price for the Champion. But most likely half the life. Half the resale. Plus its louder. I personally have spent the money and went with the Honda. I picked the 3000. The only other company choice would be a Yamaha.
i think you're thinking of the non-inverter Champion.

the 3100 is nearly as quiet as a Honda or Yamaha inverter generator, though the Honda 3000 is the quiet champ in generators.

there's a current thread about a 3100 review. if i was in the market, i'd buy the 3100 in a snap. it is way cheaper than the Honda 2000 and will easily start 13.5k a/c's.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:07 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwicker View Post
Honda definitely holds the Top Spot in Portable and Inverter Generators. Yamaha comes in second. Then, most folks will place Champion as 3rd, with the rest falling somewhere a good bit lower on the List.

Sure, Champion is made in China (so are most the Honda and Yamaha models), while some of the Also-Rans are now sourced further into SE Asia. But if you read through several of the Blogs of Generator Critics who have kept up on Champion, one will learn that they actually have their own staff on-site in the Chinese Factories as well as a Parts/Service group in the USA who have significant Inventory and Expertise (instead of just parting-out other broken Genies).
Yes, the Champion 2000-series Inverter is Half-the-Price, but it is by no means Half-the-Quality nor Half-the-Capability.
Yes, I OWN and USE a pair of Champion 73536i 2000W Generators...
Old 08-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i think you're thinking of the non-inverter Champion.

the 3100 is nearly as quiet as a Honda or Yamaha inverter generator, though the Honda 3000 is the quiet champ in generators.

there's a current thread about a 3100 review. if i was in the market, i'd buy the 3100 in a snap. it is way cheaper than the Honda 2000 and will easily start 13.5k a/c's.

You are correct in your review of the Champion 3100I. I have used mine for over 3 years even in the winter at minus 10 F, running all night. They are a great product at a great price. The Honda is a good generator but WAY over priced. You could buy a few Champions for the price of a Honda. I was sold on the Honda and wanted one bad until I discovered the Champion. I now no longer wish I had a Honda. To each their own.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:11 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
The 3100 is a Work-Site Generator, not made to run Integrated Circuit electronics such as your TVs nor many of the modern "Digital Motor"-driven appliances. And it isn't in the same league as the Honda 2000 when it comes to Noise...
It will, however, run your 13.5k or even most 15k ACs...
Old 08-13-2015, 03:25 PM   #76

Quote:
The 3100 is a Work-Site Generator, not made to run Integrated Circuit
there is a 3100 watt Champion that is an inverter on the market

http://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power...rter+generator

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:27 PM   #77

I am measuring about 10.6 amps with my Kill-a-Watt meter with my 13.5 AC unit on. I cannot measure startup current. Anybody know what startup amperage is?

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #78

Westinghouse for me. I have 2 2200 watt units with a paralleling adapter. Quiet and easy starting. They have an eco mode that slows the engine down when demand is low- I really don't care for that mode though. They are light enough to carry and they seem to be pretty tough. They run a little over half what the equivalent Honda units do and have the same or better specs and warranty.
Steve Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I am measuring about 10.6 amps with my Kill-a-Watt meter with my 13.5 AC unit on. I cannot measure startup current. Anybody know what startup amperage is?
Typically inrush current is 3-5 times running current but most AC's have a "soft start" feature that drops that down significantly. You would need pretty special measuring equipment to catch the transient.
Steve Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 04:10 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by seigell View Post
The 3100 is a Work-Site Generator, not made to run Integrated Circuit electronics such as your TVs nor many of the modern "Digital Motor"-driven appliances. And it isn't in the same league as the Honda 2000 when it comes to Noise...
It will, however, run your 13.5k or even most 15k ACs...

The Champion 3100I is an invertor generator works well with our laptops and other devices, and is certainly in the league with a Honda. I paid $600. for mine.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator

« Tires | HD Antenna »