Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2018, 02:20 PM   #1

what sealants to use on bunk end seams, bunk door panels, between rubber gasket

2014 rockwood roo 19 - our first rig and very well taken cared for by prior owners they did everything right but have a few things that need leak proofed. pics after questions any help with correct stuff would be great. thanks guys

1) gaps in panels on bunk doors - was going to clean well and use leveling lap sealant?

2) these ends of bunks where they attach to bottom. was going to clean and use dyco 20/20 eternaflex caulk sealant?

3) roo bunk tents - some light drips from seams on corners above the pole that holds them up? seam seal? paraffin? the dyco 20/20 rubbed in?

4) gaps between horizonal/vert thick rubber seals when the bunk ends are up. mask off and use the dyco 20/20 in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5325.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	181066   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5319.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	181067   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5321.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	356.2 KB
ID:	181068   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5322.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	181069   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5323.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	181070  

jldesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #2

on pics #2-3 I have used any type silicon... I used clear like they used on the factory bunk seam corner, you probably just need a small amount there

on pic #4 you may find that by wetting the seam threads they will swell and the drip will stop by itself... (this is called seasoning)... otherwise some soft wax rubbed on the threads will seal the thread holes

last pic... I don't think you need to worry about that... water will not come in from the side

read this thread post #3 for adjusting clamp pressure...

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ps-127599.html

I think you will have good times in your new camper, as have I

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:51 PM   #3

the tent ends were seasoned by original owner but have not seen a rain since middle of last year and he always used the gizmos (we have them but didn't put them on yet in the driveway) might be why those never leaked for them.

i already adjusted the lockers one turn. you can visually see it lock in a hair tighter (have not gone out to check if that stopped the water getting into them when closed yet today)

the closed bunk ends water is getting into them somewhere i figured I would start with obvious gaps,

thanks for reply
Old 07-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #4

the bunk latches should be tightened using a one dollar bill in the top rubber seam... adjust till the bill cannot be removed... but not so tight that you smash down the seals...

I usually do not worry about a cup of water getting past the seals... after all it usually just lays in the folds of the vinyl top

I use a fabric waterproofing spray once a year on the canvas sides... they will tend to wick rain water outside to inside the bed if they are touching fabric... the waterproofing spray will help with that

I use 303 products to keep the vinyl and canvas durable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	303 fab guard.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	181082  
Attached Images

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:54 AM   #5

touched up all areas (except the thick bunk seals) paraffin waxed all outside stitching, seam griped a few seams in corners, hit the outside with sealant - DRY after 2 big rains

Tags
bunk, door, gas, seal