Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2015, 05:29 PM   #41

Hey I have said it before and I say it again. WindyNation.com They ship UPS for free A good two hundred watt system will be just a little over three hundred. You can lean them against an ice chest or a box and aim them at the sun and do well. Then when time permits, install on the roof FLAT Or my camping buddy has just one 100 w panel. He points it at the sun when he has the patience and then lays it up on the roof during camp. He then stores it on the bed during travel.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 05:38 PM   #42

OR hey Spend nearly as much money on extra batteries and still have no where to charge them. BTW the power suitcase is too expensive you pay too much for the packaging and the gimmicky idea. Or hey what does 300 feet of extension cord cost? Maybe you will be that close to a power pedistal?
Old 07-11-2015, 06:32 PM   #43
Gold Miner At Heart

I would find another campground.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:09 AM   #44

Lots of good suggestions here, Thanks so much to all of you! Allot of the ideas,not all, are some i was thinking. It is nice to bounce ideas around with you all, to see what somebody else thinks. I still like the solar panel ideas, some day i will definitely go that route! But for the upcoming trip, which will be the last to that campground, i think i will try to conserve like he&%. And use jumper cables, but also take the charger along.Keep the suggestions coming, all are appreciated! I have a few weeks yet so i might look into new batteries. I will let you all know how it goes.
Rodney Butalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:18 AM   #45

Oh heck GO FOR IT Get at least the 100 watt system and play with it in your camp if you do not have time first Again, I have the Now $345 dollar 200 watt system

Eco Solar Kit: 100 W Solar Panel Off Grid Solar Kit with User Settable Controller w/ LCD Display!
Old 07-12-2015, 01:30 PM   #46

Are you camping or glamping? You can make it for a week. Pennisula Park is beautiful. So are the views of Lake Michigan and Green Bay. Take the fairy over to the island. You'll have a great week. A few lanterns and you'll be fine!
syogerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 02:00 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Butalla View Post
Lots of good suggestions here, Thanks so much to all of you! Allot of the ideas,not all, are some i was thinking. It is nice to bounce ideas around with you all, to see what somebody else thinks. I still like the solar panel ideas, some day i will definitely go that route! But for the upcoming trip, which will be the last to that campground, i think i will try to conserve like he&%. And use jumper cables, but also take the charger along.Keep the suggestions coming, all are appreciated! I have a few weeks yet so i might look into new batteries. I will let you all know how it goes.
When I was tent camping I bought an inexpensive 750 watt inverter. I use to hook it up to my truck battery and charge my camera and cell phone batteries. I just looked and the battery charger I carry for emergencies only draws 240 watts. If I were you I would buy a second battery, or set of 6 volt batteries, and switch them out every day or two. It shouldn't take long to charge the battery not in use. Just remember to start your truck every 1//2 hour or so and run it 10 to 15 minutes.

750 Watt Continuous/1500 Watt Peak Power Inverter

10/2/50 Amp 12V Manual Charger With Engine Start

Under a 100 bucks, not counting batteries, and you are good to go.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 04:29 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney Butalla View Post
The first week of August we will be camping for the entire week, at Peninsula State Park in Door county Wisconsin. I was told last weekend at a different state park by a camper there that at Peninsula you absolutely can not have a generator! Well i have 2 12 volt batteries, but they will not last a week. So i don't know what to do! I wanted to buy a solar suitcase set up, but my wife says we have enough stuff! She said i should just take my 2000 watt Yamaha along and take the batteries off, put them in the truck and drive to town and charge them. Well that does not sound like a vacation to me! I thought about just hooking up the trailer plug and run the truck, but that could take awhile, and does not sound like a good option either! Any suggestions?
Consider a reservation at AQUALAND CAMP RESORT which is less than 5 miles away and they do have some electric sites. Visit the state park during the day.
Old 07-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #49

How about asking the Camp Host if you can run a battery charger on his/her site to recharge a battery. We dry camp at a campground in NH and when I pull in I go straight to the Camp Host site to fill up my water tank with is hose so I don't have to fill it by hand with a container.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:53 PM   #50

Bring a high amp fast charger and the battery to charge with you while you are hanging out showering. I have seen it done many times at Wisconsin campgrounds.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Nver2loud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:47 PM   #51

It is not only Penninsula State park that does not allow generators, it is most of them. That is the way it has been for many years. The only State campgrounds we camp at where I know you can run a generator part of the day are in the American Legion State Forest campgrounds where you can run a quiet one from 10:00 am until 5:00 pm only.I have been camping in State Park campgrounds and county park campgrounds only for about 50 years now and many of these trips were to sites with no electric hookup, at least in the State parks.
RCCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:37 PM   #52

I have a solar suitcase set up. Two 50w panels. Very easy set up. Trailer is set up with LED lighting. Panels provide enough that I never have to boost unless it's extremely overcast for more than a day or I've had to use excessive furnace fan in cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
CDNWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNWhiskey View Post
I have a solar suitcase set up. Two 50w panels. Very easy set up. Trailer is set up with LED lighting. Panels provide enough that I never have to boost unless it's extremely overcast for more than a day or I've had to use excessive furnace fan in cold weather.

Solar is another topic that will give you a headache. Some say 50 watts is ok, 100 watts is good, 500 watts is the minimum. I know as your load varies your solar panels must vary but that's a huge difference !

See:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post923247

Jim
Old 07-19-2015, 06:29 PM   #54

Proof is in the pudding. If I'm not boosting I'm not boosting regardless of the math. It's about how much you draw when camped.

CDNWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:39 PM   #55
Site Team - Lou

As long as its sunny, this will help replace "some" of your lost power every day. It could add a day or two before you need a full charge "in town."

http://www.smarthome.com/nature-powe...LKGBoCxLbw_wcB

I would (in your situation) rotate your batteries. One one the charger and the other in the camper so you don't run them both dead at the same time.

CERTAINLY not optimal use of your batteries, but it is what it is.

Remember to wear eye splash protection and rubber gloves when removing the batteries. A rubber apron will also go a long way to saving your camping clothes from big burn holes. (Don't ask how I found out)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:46 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
As long as its sunny, this will help replace "some" of your lost power every day. It could add a day or two before you need a full charge "in town."

I would (in your situation) rotate your batteries. One one the charger and the other in the camper so you don't run them both dead at the same time.

CERTAINLY not optimal use of your batteries, but it is what it is.

Remember to wear eye splash protection and rubber gloves when removing the batteries. A rubber apron will also go a long way to saving your camping clothes from big burn holes. (Don't ask how I found out)
But don't hook it to your batteries! Only puts out 5 volts.

Jim
Old 07-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #57
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
But don't hook it to your batteries! Only puts out 5 volts.

Jim
GREAT catch! My bad. It "looks" like my 12 volt one but obviously not the same. Let me look for the one I have.

Found it:

Don't forget to add the charge controller as it has the reverse current blocking diodes.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:32 PM   #58

At the risk of being repetitive. Too GADGETY is too pricy. Cut to the chase. Take the plunge. Get some real solar. 200 Watt Polycrystalline Solar Panel Complete Kit for RV's, Boats and Off-Grid
Old 07-19-2015, 08:33 PM   #59

200 Watt Polycrystalline Solar Panel Complete Kit for RV's, Boats and Off-Grid

Tags
generator