Old 07-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #51

It is not only Penninsula State park that does not allow generators, it is most of them. That is the way it has been for many years. The only State campgrounds we camp at where I know you can run a generator part of the day are in the American Legion State Forest campgrounds where you can run a quiet one from 10:00 am until 5:00 pm only.I have been camping in State Park campgrounds and county park campgrounds only for about 50 years now and many of these trips were to sites with no electric hookup, at least in the State parks.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:37 PM   #52

I have a solar suitcase set up. Two 50w panels. Very easy set up. Trailer is set up with LED lighting. Panels provide enough that I never have to boost unless it's extremely overcast for more than a day or I've had to use excessive furnace fan in cold weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 07-19-2015, 06:59 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNWhiskey View Post
I have a solar suitcase set up. Two 50w panels. Very easy set up. Trailer is set up with LED lighting. Panels provide enough that I never have to boost unless it's extremely overcast for more than a day or I've had to use excessive furnace fan in cold weather.

Solar is another topic that will give you a headache. Some say 50 watts is ok, 100 watts is good, 500 watts is the minimum. I know as your load varies your solar panels must vary but that's a huge difference !

See:

thinking about solar?

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:29 PM   #54

Proof is in the pudding. If I'm not boosting I'm not boosting regardless of the math. It's about how much you draw when camped.

Old 07-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #55
Site Team - Lou

As long as its sunny, this will help replace "some" of your lost power every day. It could add a day or two before you need a full charge "in town."

http://www.smarthome.com/nature-powe...LKGBoCxLbw_wcB

I would (in your situation) rotate your batteries. One one the charger and the other in the camper so you don't run them both dead at the same time.

CERTAINLY not optimal use of your batteries, but it is what it is.

Remember to wear eye splash protection and rubber gloves when removing the batteries. A rubber apron will also go a long way to saving your camping clothes from big burn holes. (Don't ask how I found out)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
As long as its sunny, this will help replace "some" of your lost power every day. It could add a day or two before you need a full charge "in town."

I would (in your situation) rotate your batteries. One one the charger and the other in the camper so you don't run them both dead at the same time.

CERTAINLY not optimal use of your batteries, but it is what it is.

Remember to wear eye splash protection and rubber gloves when removing the batteries. A rubber apron will also go a long way to saving your camping clothes from big burn holes. (Don't ask how I found out)
But don't hook it to your batteries! Only puts out 5 volts.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:31 PM   #57
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
But don't hook it to your batteries! Only puts out 5 volts.

Jim
GREAT catch! My bad. It "looks" like my 12 volt one but obviously not the same. Let me look for the one I have.

Found it:

Don't forget to add the charge controller as it has the reverse current blocking diodes.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #58

At the risk of being repetitive. Too GADGETY is too pricy. Cut to the chase. Take the plunge. Get some real solar. 200 Watt Polycrystalline Solar Panel Complete Kit for RV's, Boats and Off-Grid
Old 07-19-2015, 09:33 PM   #59

200 Watt Polycrystalline Solar Panel Complete Kit for RV's, Boats and Off-Grid

Tags
generator