Old 07-03-2015, 02:28 PM   #11
I believe that any possible problem in a hidden area that involves water leaking into the camper should be cause for concern... you COULD have a water problem caused by the filter and not even know it for hours or days... WHO needs THAT?

Get an outside filter at Walmart and repipe around that inside filter and be worried about one less thing.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 SLT Crew Cab HEMI 3.21 8 Spd 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:31 PM   #12
Roocrew1 what is the item number or part number for those filters? Thanks

Make sure when you winterize to remove the plastic filter housing even if a small amount of water is left on the threads it may cause a hairline crack. My dealer pointed that out during the PDI. I also use a Camco filter that attaches to the campground hookup.

edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #13
Moderators' Assistant
Originally Posted by Rsharrer View Post
We picked up our 2014 Rockwood 8289WS in Indiana in July 2013. In route home to California.
Yea, someone else who's as crazy as us!
We did the same thing but picked it is in Chicago.

Two things;

No such water filter issues in our 2007 23SS. Has worked for all the nearly 9 years we've owned it.

You should NEVER use city water hookups without a water regulator.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:51 PM   #14
turning water filter housing

if you are replacing or elimiateing the element as we did ,it lasted 6 mo , release the pressure in the system before unscrewing the housing, it will make it easier to turn off
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #15
Another suggestion I have found helpful is to "grease" the top edge and locking threads of the canister with silicon plumbers grease before replacing the canister. This prevents the top seal from binding and reduces the "torque" required to attach and detach the canister. No problems so far.
DRiveWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:19 PM   #16
2010 models should not have the problem with the water filter. My 2011 has behaved nicely through every filter change I have made.
2001 Chevy Silverado
2011 Rockwood Roo 233S
rbq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:33 PM   #17
Originally Posted by edcronin01 View Post
Roocrew1 what is the item number or part number for those filters? Thanks.
Sorry edcronin01, don't have access right now to filters. They are HDX Brand, came in a 2 pack, and we're a middle of the road carbon filter. Between $8 and $10. They are color coded on the ends, according to filter level, and I can't even remember what color they are! Black? Again, they are definitely carbon filters.
Roocrew1 MI
2012 233S
2010 Expedition EL Limited 3:73 with Air Suspension
Roocrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:03 AM   #18
water regulator vs. leaks!

yes...Yes...YES YES YES!!!! Uh...did I say yes already? How bout a "fer shere" thrown in too? Lo information people do not use water regulators but it's a shame they have to find out the hard way LOL...
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:14 AM   #19
Posts: 187 "greasing" the O-ring in the filt. housing! 1) Inspect the ring for any damage or distortion first, okay? If in doubt keep a pack of them handy (cheap insurance) and replace with a new one if ... in ... doubt!
2) BE CAREFUL about what you "grease" it with!!! You want a food-grade lube in there and nothing else. Plumbers silicon sounds toxic and "if" it has any petroleum product in there you DO NOT want to ingest THAT, do you??? Even Petroleum jelly(aka Vaseline) is not good and also degrades the O-ring seal over time! Don't be tempted please (Mr DRiveWell, come on!)!

3) KY JELLY!! Is food safe and does it's job as it's KNOW what I mean, right? It remains ON the contact area's between the O-ring and the housing where it's needed and becomes water soluble elsewhere you slobbed it on.

Enough said? DO IT!
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:15 AM   #20
Georgia Frog Rally 2017
I just don't use the on board filter I bought one that I attach to the water hose and works great. One of the things I see posted once in a while is using the city water and using a water regulator and having to buy. Last few camper I bought all came with them. Don't know if FR provides these or the dealer. We always get a start up kit thrown in by dealer. And no its not part of prep fees cause they have none. Later RJD

2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60
Days camped in 2016 so far 51
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote

water, water filter