Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #21

My in-line water filter canister is behind a false wall and you have to be an elf to get in the area to work. I unscrewed the canister, took the filter out, screwed the canister back on. Haven't had any problems yet and that has been 3 years ago. Just use the in-line filter connected to the water hose now.
Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:56 AM   #22

ANOTHER THOUGHT...

I do know of many people who just bypass the on-board filter housing and use the outside charcoal filter system for clean water in addition to the water regulator. WHY? Because of those hairline leaks in that housing or surrounding water lines leading to the housing.

CONSIDER THIS:

Many RV's and TT's are overly "sprung" and tend to have truck-like rides. SINCE our
infrastructure is lacking & behind the power curve due to the current POTUS and accompanying administration...the roads all over the CONUS are degrading and absolutely suck! Therefore, you are noticing a lot of unsmooth roads, highways and byways and which have become the new norm, sadly.

WHAT I'M SAYING IS THIS...if you have a 10-12" water housing,
on board and probably SUSPENDED (no less) over the pump, to boot, full of water and engorged filter...all of which probably weighs in around 10-15 lbs...do you not think the current roads are not taking a toll on the integrity of that housing? Think about it. Plus consider the cabinets and all the other structural appointments within. ALL hard on keeping things from falling apart and intact, eh? Need I say more?

No wonder we have those infernal cracks & leaks, sooner or later!?
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #23

I think "10-15 lbs" is a little bit generous.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #24

Oh my goodness, I need to go take the water filter out before it falls off and ruins everything!

I didn't know it weighed 15 lbs!

I bet the weight police will be after me!

Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3
Old 07-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Oh my goodness, I need to go take the water filter out before it falls off and ruins everything!

I didn't know it weighed 15 lbs!

I bet the weight police will be after me!

Could be....
Old 07-05-2015, 07:47 AM   #26

Pixelbum, I must respectfully disagree. Silicon plumbers grease is commonly used to lubricate faucet seals and other areas in potable water systems without ill effect. It is a non-toxic product with no petroleum content. I have no idea how effective KY JELLY might be in this application as it was not formulated for use in drinking water systems.
DRiveWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #27

Hi,

I removed mine after reading about this last year when I got my new Silverback. External filtering does somehow feel safer.

But the canister I removed probably didn't hold a half gallon of water. Let's see -- at eight pounds per gallon of water, that would be about four pounds of reciprocating weight to stress the mounts.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:06 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roocrew1 View Post
2012.... And I haven't had an issue. However, I keep a look out for it to happen. This year, I used a camco outside, and purchased a Home Depot filter (2 for $8) to replace the expensive one inside....and had great tasting water this last trip. Again, no filter issues on our 2012 yet.
I always use a filter that is no larger than 2 microns, preferably 1 micron. I recently read that E. Coli is around 2.5 microns. I want to trap that.

My wife got Giardia once, and we were not even camping. She got in within the city limits of San Jose. Volunteer at a co-op nursery school. Kids still in diapers.

I believe that Giardia is pretty common in the Sierras. I have never camped anywhere outside of California, yet.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcronin01 View Post
Roocrew1 what is the item number or part number for those filters? Thanks

Make sure when you winterize to remove the plastic filter housing even if a small amount of water is left on the threads it may cause a hairline crack. My dealer pointed that out during the PDI. I also use a Camco filter that attaches to the campground hookup.
I have used an external filter that I bought at Wal-Mart. The blue cylinder that is pretty common.

That is what I did from 2005 until now. I recently read the spec for the one I have and it said 10 microns. That will get out the sediment but not the nasty stuff that will send you to the doctor. I now require 2 micron or smaller for us. At home I am using 0.5 micron for the fridge.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:15 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You should NEVER use city water hookups without a water regulator.
I agree. I have always used the small inexpensive inline regulators. We moved recently. The good news is that I have full hookups for the MH. The bad news is that I have 125 psi water. The small regulators can not handle that.

Very soon now I will be buying a larger regulator. It looks like the one on the house except that both ends are hose threads and not pipe threads. It also has a meter.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:27 PM   #31

[QUOTE=PopBeavers;914215]I always use a filter that is no larger than 2 microns, preferably 1 micron. I recently read that E. Coli is around 2.5 microns. I want to trap that.

It’s never a good idea to mechanically filter bacteria from your water supply. Even though Reverse Osmosis systems can do it effectively because of the ultra filtration they provide, it is still not recommended. The bacteria will accumulate on the walls of mechanical filters and grow. Mechanical filters can fail and without warning or indications. Think of a small tear in the filter material. Suddenly you are bombarded with massive amounts of bacteria. Bacteria needs to be killed with oxidation or uv.

John
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:11 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I agree. I have always used the small inexpensive inline regulators. We moved recently. The good news is that I have full hookups for the MH. The bad news is that I have 125 psi water. The small regulators can not handle that.

Very soon now I will be buying a larger regulator. It looks like the one on the house except that both ends are hose threads and not pipe threads. It also has a meter.

This is the one I am using now. I also have a gauge to check pressure of the water supply before I hook up anything to the tap and used it to check the cheap regulator and it was only at 39 psi. The shower sucked even with the Oxygenics shower head.
So put this one together and even with it set at same pressure that the cheap one was at the water flow is way better. Set it back to the factory setting of 50 psi and it is better than most homes are now. I put a gauge on the Watts regulator just so I can keep an eye on it.

Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post

It’s never a good idea to mechanically filter bacteria from your water supply. Even though Reverse Osmosis systems can do it effectively because of the ultra filtration they provide, it is still not recommended. The bacteria will accumulate on the walls of mechanical filters and grow. Mechanical filters can fail and without warning or indications. Think of a small tear in the filter material. Suddenly you are bombarded with massive amounts of bacteria. Bacteria needs to be killed with oxidation or uv.

John
I thought a little about that. But then I have been backpacking since 1976 and all I can do is use a filter rated to remove Giardia, common in the Sierras. Iodine and halazone are not very practical.

It is possible to purchase water filters impregnated with iodine. But these are normally not used in developed countries.

I do not have room for reverse osmosis. On some occasions I refill the MH up with water from a creek about 12 inches wide and two inches deep, clear water running over gravel, no cows visible upstream. I use my backpacking pump and filter.

In this situation do you have a better choice for drinking creek water than using a 1 micron filter? The filter cartridge is soaked in a chlorine solution when I get home after every trip it is used.

I suppose I could carry more water. But I already have 30 gallons on-board and another 40 gallons in jugs. There is a limit to how much water I can take with me.

When hiking all day while camping I take the water filter with me. Over the course of the day 4 adults on a very long day hike can drink a lot more water than they can carry. Besides that, any water that you carry gets warm. I refill with cold water when I have the opportunity. As long as I can find clear flowing water I can refill the individual water containers any time I cross water. These days crossing water while hiking occurs less often than it used to.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #34

Sure, you do what you have to do. We don’t always have the luxury of purifying our water.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:49 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by richp View Post
Hi,

I removed mine after reading about this last year when I got my new Silverback. External filtering does somehow feel safer.

But the canister I removed probably didn't hold a half gallon of water. Let's see -- at eight pounds per gallon of water, that would be about four pounds of reciprocating weight to stress the mounts.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
All righty then...but consider this...yea...1 gal = 8 lbs but ALSO consider the weight of the dinged danged filter element once engorged with water? That also adds
a few lbs and even if the water WITH filter weighed...say...6-7 lbs)(okay...
maybe I was overzealous with the other amount)
bouncing up-and-down and most probably not in a very accessible spot. Well...
YOU figure it out and take the chance. I'd inspect the support system for YOUR
on-board filter canister very carefully. ALSO, I WON'T EVEN MENTION the separate weight of the...FILTER C-A-N-N-I-S-T-E-R...which adds back closely to
my overzealous equation, eh?
As for the KY thing...it's water based, grease free, water soluble and I know many
people ...uh...who use it for this very use other than what it is primarily intended for. Go to the KY web site for the specs.. . I just mentioned KY as this might be in more households vs. the silicon grease tho I also use the silicon grease as my primary and when handy. When I use the KY solution I also never have any trouble removing the threaded housing either. Yes then, both are safe in a potable system(and you make a good point here when we start seeing Petroleum jelly, dielectric grease and other bad things for possible ingestion not to mention the
o-ring compromises from these things). Again I stress to also change that o-ring every time with a fresh one before lubing and yea shall never have any problems...if you are brave enough to use the on-board canister at least! Just
watch out for potholes...
Pixelbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:06 PM   #36

Nights camped 2016 = 25
Nights camped 2017 = 13
Nights camped 2018 = 3

Tags
water, water filter