Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
23ss ROOster

What's is Standard size of a crank up roof vent?

Plastic cap was damaged by hail. I assume I will need to replace the entire vent? Or can I just replace plastic vent cap? Thanks.

2012 23SS ROO
2014 Ford 4x4 F150 XLT 302A, screw, Ecoboost, 3.73, max tow, off road pkg., 36 gal tank, Ruby Red, tailgate step, Linex spray in, Truxedo bed cover, 30% front tint, Viper remote start, 1000 lbs WDH
Wags2237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:52 PM   #2
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Typically a standard of 14"x14" roof opening. But there are tolerances and non standard sizes.

Erik Lundquist
elundquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:24 PM   #3

Have you considered putting a roof vent cover on? You won't have to worry about the hail anymore and you can leave the roof vent open in the rain.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #4
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

Very true on the roof vent cover. Wags2237 check for the name of manufacture and model of the vent. Should be labeled somewhere on the vent.

Once you have the make / model of the vent you should be able get a replacement cover for the existing vent without replacing the complete unit.

If you have a really old unit (20+ years) you might be looking at complete vent replacement.

Erik Lundquist

Erik Lundquist
elundquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:01 PM   #5
Site Team

CW carries replacement covers but there about 3 different hinge systems.
You need to dtermine manufacturer or take pics.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:58 AM   #6

Roof vents

Just a side note add on. I have MaxxAir covers on all of my vents. Two crank up covers deteriorated and were falling in pieces. Didn't want to remove the MaxxAirs so I tried replacing the busted covers from the inside. You can actually do it, pretty easy. If have covers like MaxxAirs, or, if you don't like crawling around on the roof, do it from the inside.
milvet33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #7
7 Year Class A RV'er

I had MaxxAir covers on my last RV and am going to put them on all the vents in our new one before our big trip in a few weeks. They look better and like someone else said, you can leave the vent open and/or the fan on without worrying about rain, etc. You can get them in clear, white, smoke or black, depending on how much light you want to let in. Someone mentioned removing them, but you shouldn't have to remove them to get to the vent. They attach to the metal curb around the vent and have hinges on one side and a locking pin assembly on the other side. To clean inside them or get to the vent, just pull the pin and swing the cover up and open.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:29 PM   #8

Most of the vents today are 14"x14", but there are 6 - 8 different hinges. Easiest way to replace is to take the bad one off and take it to an RV dealer to match it up with the correct replacement. You can go by brand because sometime they update them and a new model won't fit and older model and vice versa. Then, as suggested earlier, put a vent cover on.

Good Luck
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:53 PM   #9

Check your local wal mart ours has that kind of stuff. They even have the white max airs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 2015 21ss havein fun
Hicks43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob1161 View Post
Most of the vents today are 14"x14", but there are 6 - 8 different hinges. Easiest way to replace is to take the bad one off and take it to an RV dealer to match it up with the correct replacement. You can go by brand because sometime they update them and a new model won't fit and older model and vice versa. Then, as suggested earlier, put a vent cover on.

Good Luck
X2!
ottawapaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #11

Take pictures for store to help identify what you need. Will probably have to remove inside trim, crank handle, nut on fan switch if there, screen and crank gear mechanism. After crank arm is removed from cover, it should just slide off. Used Saran Wrap to cover the hole in mine until rain stopped and new cover was in hand. Was staying at Elm River RV Park at Debert, Nova Scotia and the park store had at least 5 different covers including the one I needed. Thanks to John for helping me put the new cover on!!!!
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, vent