Old 11-03-2015, 09:16 PM   #1

What's this black chunk on my bunk ends?

Hi there!
I'm a recent hybrid owner. I took delivery on a 2005 Roo19 about a month ago. I've always liked the hybrid set up because it gives you the best if both worlds.
Once I had my new to me purchase safely secured in the backyard, I started making notes on some of the maintenance & upkeep i'll need to do before winter. And while inspecting every nook & cranny, I couldn't figure out what the black, hard yet brittle black matter that's on the bottom of the rear bunk between the hinges. Can any of you seasoned hybrid veteran shed some light to what it might be? While we're on the subject, is there any tips you can provide on preventative maintenance?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1446602496.665972.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	93654Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1446602519.792843.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	93655

Old 11-03-2015, 09:40 PM   #2

It's difficult to see but it almost looks like old and molded butyl tape that squeegeed out during installation.

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL

R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:55 PM   #3

It looks like a caulk or sealant that has gotten dirty and mouldy. Try very cautiously to spray a cleaner like Awesome on it . Awesome won't hurt the finish on the bunks. As for maintenance, anything you can do to prevent water intrusion is a must. Check and clean the rubber seals around the bunks and wipe with a protectant to keep them soft. If they dry out and get hard you will get water in around them.
Check the roof. Any place where there is an opening ( antenna, ac unit, vents, skylights) check the caulking closely. If it is old, dry or cracked, time to reseal.
Check the tires. The camper is 10 years old . Hard telling how old the tires are. Tread may be fine but sidewalls could be cracking due to age and exposure.
This will get you started. If you have any issues that pop up, post them. Someone here will likely have had the same thing and can help.
Good luck with your new Roo.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:17 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant

I agree that it's black butyl tape.
It is under the bunk door hinge as a sealent.
I have a 2007 23SS that is the same.
You'd have to take the door off to replace.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #5

Butyl tape. Clean it up with a plastic putty knife.

Bruce
Old 11-05-2015, 12:40 AM   #6

What's this black chunk on my bunk ends?

Thanks everyone for your input. I initially thought after taking deliver & taking a closer look that it was the door seals that were coming apart from old age. It breaks off easy enough and crumbles when you mush it around. So my next question is, should I be concerned about leakage on the bunk end in question? Does it also mean I need to remove the bunk doors and reapply butyl tape even if there's no signs of water penetration? I have checked around the outside & inside areas for leaks or water marks. From what I could see, all is well in & around the bunk area including the storage below *knock on wood*. As matter of fact, the bunk looks to be in good shape for its age. However, I'd like to prevent any such thing from happening if I help it. This is my first travel trailer so It can get a bit overwhelming reading online on possible causes of what it could be & what needs to be done. Definitely glad to have found this site & get feed back on from other hybrid owners.

The gentleman that sold me trailer was kind enough to walk me thru the entire trailer. He also showed me all the preventative maintenance he recently did on the roof (which I could tell visually). He also replaced all 4 tires this summer & provided me a copy of the receipt. And throughout the whole walk thru, I did notice the black gunk on one of the bunks but didn't think much of it at the time. It looked almost like grease goo or black streak of some sort at a glance. Call it post shopper's remorse, but it had me quite worried hahaha.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:54 AM   #7
Moderators' Assistant

i would suggest that you do remove the bunk doors and replace the butyl tape.
but door leakage usually gets through the seals and door frame.
it wicks into the door laminate construction or into the wood under the hinge area.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, bunk