Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2015, 06:46 AM   #1
Learning as I go

Smile Wheel bearings on Shamrock

Hi, I have a 2002 16 ft Shamrock that Had wheel bearings and brakes done 3 years ago. Since then have put about 4-5K on them. Planning a trip to Northern Minnesota in July from CT. Question I have is: Should I have them done again and in general how often should this be done?
Thanks for feedback
olatelys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:55 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

At minimum have them pulled and checked.
Brakes probably need adjusted anyway.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:59 AM   #3
Site Team

I would have no issue with 10k between grease jobs but others will have other opinions.
If the trip worries you, have them done. You might consider adjusting brakes if you
know how, it's pretty easy. While doing that be sure and give the tires a thorough
inspection. Look for any cracking between tread rows as well as on the side walls and
excessive tread wear. Look at all tires. Just because the first one you look at
is OK don't assume the others are OK!

Happy Trails!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:14 AM   #4
Learning as I go

Thanks for the bearings/ Brake/tire info. Yes I was planning on replacing the tires. I will most certainly have the bearings and brakes checked. One further Question. This is the longest trip yet we are planning. My tow vehicle is a 6 cyl Acura MDX that has pulled well with no issues locally. Within a days drive in New England. Do you see any problems doing a 3 day trip pulling my 16 foot Shamrock?. Weight is just under 3K lbs unloaded. For example, installing a tranny cooler system etc. We love the MDX!
Old 03-25-2015, 07:29 AM   #5

Has the MDX have all of the (Trailer Towing Equip.Package) from the Factory? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 07:44 AM   #6
Learning as I go

Smile Hello!

The MDX has a been set up with after market trailer hitch and an electric brake system set up. I have a weight distribution set up also which I have been using.
I am concerned about the wear on the TV engine and tranny.
Thanks
Old 03-25-2015, 07:52 AM   #7

Transmission cooler is always a plus. If it has none, plan on getting one installed and also adhere to any 'extreme service' maintenance schedule in your owners manual. That may include more frequent oil\transmission fluid changes and brake\suspension checks etc. Good luck and have fun.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Just take your time , slow down and don't try to run with the pack.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:38 AM   #9
Learning as I go

Thanks, Yes I do keep it slow. Under 62 MPH on the highway. Amazing how everyone seems to be in such a hurry. Any thoughts on a sway bar for such a small trailer?
Old 03-25-2015, 08:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by olatelys View Post
Hi, I have a 2002 16 ft Shamrock that Had wheel bearings and brakes done 3 years ago. Since then have put about 4-5K on them. Planning a trip to Northern Minnesota in July from CT. Question I have is: Should I have them done again and in general how often should this be done?
Thanks for feedback
out of the book it calls for 12000 miles to change your bearings, and adjust the breaks ever 6 mos or as needed. Now that is for AL-KO. Nice people give them a call @ 800-349-3427 they will send you a manual on the axles and whole system and also parts list. I would get a tranny cooler installed.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:55 AM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
out of the book it calls for 12000 miles to change your bearings, and adjust the breaks ever 6 mos or as needed. Now that is for AL-KO. Nice people give them a call @ 800-349-3427 they will send you a manual on the axles and whole system and also parts list. I would get a tranny cooler installed.....
Never heard of any mfg recommending replacing bearings @ 12k, maybe checking and repacking, but not replacement.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Never heard of any mfg recommending replacing bearings @ 12k, maybe checking and repacking, but not replacement.
Shame, Shame on me it's says inspect for wear and damage and repack. What do you do, follow every post I make?... If I have to pull the rear bearings to inspect you might as well replace them for $12.00 from AL-KO, but your right it does say that. Sorry to mislead you OP,... IMO it would be dumb not to as cheap as they are. It's good to carry a spear set with you, and also order a stud for .98 cents and a lug nut I think that was over a dollar and some cents. Better then being stuck somewhere trying to find parts. Not sure if you have dexter or Al-KO axles. I have 4000 lb AL-KO.

Old 03-25-2015, 02:42 PM   #13
Learning as I go

Well I truly respect and thank a man who is honest! How would I know if I have AL-KO or dexter axle? Did Shamrocks vary in the two? I'm gonna have the inspected at minimum. Is it always wise to carry a spare?
Old 03-25-2015, 02:47 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Well I truly respect and thank a man who is honest! How would I know if I have AL-KO or dexter axle? Did Shamrocks vary in the two? I'm gonna have the inspected at minimum. Is it always wise to carry a spare?
Don't know, but when you pull the hubs/wheels, just clean the inner and outer cones (bearings) get the numbers off them and go to your local auto parts store and pickup a couple of sets of both plus 4 new seals and a couple of tubes of Luca Red "N" Tacky grease.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:00 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Any thoughts on a sway bar for such a small trailer?
for a single axle TT, YES!

and there was no 16' 2002 Roo. the smallest that they made, was the Roo 17.
it is 18' long, from tongue to bumper.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #16

Quote:
It should say on the axle with a model # either you have torsion which is AL-KO or if you have springs it would be Dexter, Look behind the wheel if you see a about a 4" bar that looks like it moves up and down then they are torsion. If you google Al-Ko they will show the difference.
2) Is it always wise to carry a spare, I would say yes. A couple of days ago I guy spent a day looking for a stud to fit his MH. Also bearing's fail. Not because they are made in China they just do. You don't want to be stuck on the road side. I carry the spares just incase. The GS tow service would change them if you had the parts. It would be a little extra or a big tip. I myself like to have things that we know will break down. Also If I saw you on the side of the road and needed something I would be glad to give you the part if I had it. Just part of camping to me and helping your fellow camper out. Have a great trip, make sure you put in a squirt of grease in them. Easy to do and just do it slow with a hand pump grease gun .Al-Ko say's you do not have to spin the wheel as you do it, Dexter say's to spin it....

Old 03-25-2015, 03:16 PM   #17
Mod free 5er

Dexter also makes a torsion axle called Torflex and also a new one with removable/replaceable spindles. Way ahead of Al-Ko in that respect. BTW, Al-Ko also makes spring suspension for trailers.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:20 PM   #18
Learning as I go

Yes, I like the helping each other out as needed aspect. My kind of folks! It certainly makes sense to carry spares on such an important part that "could" fail at any given time and with my luck it would be on some overpass getting on the George Washington Bridge at rush hour Forth of July Friday evening!!!! lol
Thanks for the help
Old 03-25-2015, 05:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Dexter also makes a torsion axle called Torflex and also a new one with removable/replaceable spindles. Way ahead of Al-Ko in that respect. BTW, Al-Ko also makes spring suspension for trailers.
Why do you hate Al-KO so much? Just wondering never heard a positive thing come out about AL-KO. Dexter is really no better it's like the same argument as Marathons vs. Maxxis and it just go's on and on. You deal with what you have and bought and take care of it. To me there is no right or wrong....... I also guess Dexter seen the light being that they are now producing per you called Torflex. All I'm saying is that the OP should take care of what he has and get a few extra parts to carry, Just an answer to his question. I could really care less what is installed on my trailer. I'm happy with the set up and been across the USA east to west and no problems, even with the so called China tire bombs. I guess I would call it a preference by people who know more then me and the factory......

Old 03-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #20

Interesting. I had thought FR had already gone exclusive with Dexter by 2002. I do know 2004+ torsion axles were Dexter Torflex on Flagstaff models.

Tags
bearings, shamrock, wheel