Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2014, 08:43 PM   #21

We haven't had any issues on michigan roads as yet. Others may be able to chime in with their experiences on the fridge door and pantry. We stick a cut swim noodle in the microwave to keep the platter in its place, that idea was here on the forum awhile back.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:48 AM   #22
Site Team

our '07 Roo 23SS was the last year of the 7' 6" width. they went to the 8' width the next year.
even with 6" less width, we can still get to the fridge and bathroom, though it's narrow between the dinette and the kitchen. i'm sure the 8' wide models are much easier to get through.

our Dometic fridge has locking latches and we've never had the doors open, while traveling, in the 8 years we've owned it.
nor the pantry door.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:48 AM   #23

That was totally on our list. We had to be able to get to the fridge and bath when the slides were closed. It is amazing that some are made so you can't. What is the point!! ?
Old 12-31-2014, 12:12 PM   #24

I have a 23ss and yes can walk to rear and access bathroom,fridge etc no problem with slide closed. Also can sit at dinette with slide closed.

2012 dodge durango hemi awd with tow package.
2015 Rockwood roo 23ss
Jopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:33 PM   #25

Thanks, everybody! These things are especially good to hear because it's looking like we won't be able to find an in-stock unit to look at, and will have to order based on floor plans, pix, and what y'all are telling us. We do go over some very bumpy roads - unpaved and potholed and rutted. We killed a stab-jack once (now replaced, of course) and had to raise the HW276 by about 6" so we are hoping we can get the new unit lifted without voiding the warranty.
AshnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 01:39 PM   #26

Cool Change of plans ....

Now we need to ask about the Roo (or Shamrock) 21SS, because although we like the floor plan of the 23 better, it's too long for one of the places we go with friends every year: trailer length at that campground is limited to 22 feet, which means we have to go with the 21SS.

Same question: can you walk from front to back and get to the bathroom when the slide is not extended? Looks on the floor plan like the bathroom would be tight!
Old 12-31-2014, 03:34 PM   #27
Site Team

Well, you lose all that counterspace, but you gain more floor space.
How do you know the 22' limit? Have you actually measured it or was that off a website?
many parks list site limits that are actually bigger, like the National Parks.

Lastly, hybrids are not that durable for a lot of off road usage.

Have you contacted FR regarding Roo or Shamrock models in your area?
Hybrids are much more scarce in the West. We were lucky that there were 3 Roo dealers within a 70 mile radius. But we bought ours from a Chicago dealer and drove there to get it.
I doubt that we would have bought one if we hadn't been able to see one in person.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 12-31-2014, 04:05 PM   #28

Thanks, Bikendan. We will miss the counterspace - have quite a bit in the pop-up, but we can always put a cutting board over the stove cover for sandwich prep and the like. Floor space is good for the dog. :-) We did a dealer search, and allegedly there are some in Phoenix, but it's more like they'll order 'em; nobody seems to have any we can look at. One or two places we go, the roads are rocky and rutty - but the high wall does okay now that we had it raised. :-p (We have seen other models in person, just not the 21SS.)
Old 12-31-2014, 04:55 PM   #29
Site Team

the important thing is that you can see any Roo/Shamrock model in person.
that way you can get an idea of the quality and fit/finish of their product.
we had the same issue with some other brands we were interested in but couldn't even find any of their hybrids. so we looked at other models from that manufacturer to get an idea of how they built theirs.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:13 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshnJim View Post
Now we need to ask about the Roo (or Shamrock) 21SS, because although we like the floor plan of the 23 better, it's too long for one of the places we go with friends every year: trailer length at that campground is limited to 22 feet, which means we have to go with the 21SS.
We run into the same issue - we wanted to be able to get into the same sites we did with our popup. The NY state parks label sites as 20, 30, 40 feet or tent sites. I sometimes "round down" on the length when I book a site and call our 23IKSS 20 feet. You might be able to get away with the same trick if you are booking sites you are familiar with. Most sites we've encountered are a little bigger than the listed length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimandchris View Post
We haven't had any issues on michigan roads as yet. Others may be able to chime in with their experiences on the fridge door
We've been over plenty of rough road and the only place our fridge ever came open was in MI - on the Mackinac Bridge. But that was definitely operator error. We decided we couldn't leave the UP without stopping at one of the many roadside stores selling smoked whitefish. We had to find out what that was all about. Smoked whitefish is really not something you want flying out of your fridge! But otherwise MI roads seemed fairly good. Ohio was clearly the best we found - they were tearing up pavement that was better than anything we drove on in IL or WI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshnJim View Post
One or two places we go, the roads are rocky and rutty - but the high wall does okay now that we had it raised.
We never took either camper off the pavement, but the popup would look like a basketball bouncing behind us on rough road, even at low speeds. I can go faster up the same roads with the Roo and it rides much smoother, which I assume is due to the torsion axles. Big difference from the leaf springs. Our 23IKSS has 3 entry steps because the frame sits up quite high. The models vary in height, but you might find the factory setup has adequate ground clearance for where you want to go. If not, I think you should be able to add spacers under the axles without too much trouble. Or the 21SL comes with the off-road package. That front deck is nice, but puts it over your goal for length.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide