Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #21
Take The Road Less Travld

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharfrat48 View Post
We are travelling to about 8 hours through the VA mountains to do some dry camping this weekend. I'd rather not tow with a full water tank. Does anyone know if truck stops or rest areas have water I could use to fill up my tank once we get close to our destination? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
We just had to deal with this at a state park. there is no water hookups in the RV park. luckly, we were the first camper to arrive for the weekend and they let us hook up to a faucet in the bathrooms before pulling into our site. Other than that, you can typically find water fill stations throughout the park, but one other thing that I have noticed are these water fill stations do not have a hose connector to them. We've had to hold on tight while trying to run water through a hose to fill the tank. that was fun.
I've been an RVer since 2007, Lifetime Camper
Gotta love the Outdoors, Disconnect and Enjoy Nature!
MuddauberE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:49 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfawcett999 View Post
My wife and I used to own a little grocery in a small Colorado town and very often campers and hunters would ask to fill up with water. Absolutely was the standard answer. Its good for the customer and good for business. We have also stopped and asked homeowners if we could use there outside spigot to fill up and never been turned down.
Park of the allure of camping is meeting new people anyway and locals will often point you in the direction of activities and events you didn't know about. Planning ahead is best but in a pinch, stop and ask. You'll be glad you did.
Do you pay the private owners for the water?
Old 05-20-2015, 02:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You do know that carrying a full tank of water will hardly affect your gas mileage?

We dry camp nearly all the time and we always travel with a full tank of water from home because we know that it's good water and we don't have to worry about finding some enroute.
My worry is dealing with tongue weight. My 30 gallon tank is in front of my axle. I've never checked it but maybe it would be a good thing to try. How much heavier is the tongue with a full tank of water on a 2013 Roo 233s?
Old 05-20-2015, 02:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddauberE View Post
We just had to deal with this at a state park. there is no water hookups in the RV park. luckly, we were the first camper to arrive for the weekend and they let us hook up to a faucet in the bathrooms before pulling into our site. Other than that, you can typically find water fill stations throughout the park, but one other thing that I have noticed are these water fill stations do not have a hose connector to them. We've had to hold on tight while trying to run water through a hose to fill the tank. that was fun.
I just ordered a water bandit. Hopefully it works as advertised to help out in a situation like that! We run into it all the time at Nationla Forest campgrounds which is where we camp the most.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:59 PM   #25
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Water weighs 8.33 lbs/gallon. a 30 gal tank will add 250 lbs to the trailer. If your tank is in front of the tires, most of that weight gets transferred to the tongue.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:23 PM   #26

Quote:
Water weighs 8.33 lbs/gallon. a 30 gal tank will add 250 lbs to the trailer. If your tank is in front of the tires, most of that weight gets transferred to the tongue.
Not necessarily. Depends on how far it is in front of the axle relative to the end of the tongue. If exactly in the middle, it will put 125 lbs on the tongue and 125 lbs on the axle. The closer to the axle from there, the more on the axle and less on the tongue. Conversely, the closer to the tongue from there, the more weight on the tongue and less on the axle.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
I just ordered a water bandit. Hopefully it works as advertised to help out in a situation like that! We run into it all the time at Nationla Forest campgrounds which is where we camp the most.
They do. I never go to a park with out it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	water bandit.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	77573
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water