Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2011, 02:52 PM   #1

Where's the leak coming from?

Here are three photos of the interior of the front bunk end of our 2001 Rockwood Roo (21 ft). We replaced the rotted, wet styrofoam and wood. We closed it up on Tuesday satisfied with our repair. Today, Sunday after 3 days of light to heavy rain off/on I noticed some water got in somewhere. We opened it. It is set up open right now and we need some one with experience to tell us where the leaks are most common in these bunk ends. We replaced the bunk end clamps exteriorly also and thought that would help the seal if that was the issue.

We bought this 3 weeks ago. The previous owner did not disclose the damage and we were shocked to say the least when we discovered how rotted the bunk ends were. We are committed to making this work. So do not harp on us over our misfortune please.

Just looking for some experience and advice on how the water gets in these bunk ends. Is it the black rubber seal, which one? Is it the rain gutter, is it the fiberglass not caulked properly...what is the cause of the water getting in?

From the interior, the photos show the water line in the center and on the right corner of the bunk. If the bunk was closed during rain hitting the exterior, how did the inside frame/wooden bunk get wet?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterleak2.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	6419   Click image for larger version

Name:	waterleak6.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	6420   Click image for larger version

Name:	waterleak4.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	6421  
casabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #2
Site Team

another area of leakage, is the clearance lights above the bunk door.
numerous owners have found poor sealing here and the water will seep down to the hinge area.

there is a pressure test that can be done at some rv shops and dealers. it usually cost around $100.
i can't remember the company that makes the equipment but i'll do some digging around to see if i still have the website somewhere.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:27 PM   #3

There are also several posts about using a leaf blower to do pressure testing. It is really quite simple. All you need to do is pressurize the inside and spray water on the outside looking for air bubbles. Most common water entry points seem to be windows, anywhere there is a seam or joint on the roof. And anywhere that a previous owner used silicone sealants.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #4

Yeah, I think I would take it to a dealer for a look over, they may find something you could miss. Sorry about the problems.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom View Post
Yeah, I think I would take it to a dealer for a look over, they may find something you could miss. Sorry about the problems.
unless it's a dealer familiar with hybrids, it's probably a waste of time.

i remember the company that makes the RV pressure test, SealTech.
their website lists places to have your RV tested at.

Sealtech Manufacturing Inc. - RV leaks bubbles recreational vehicles
Old 07-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #6

I had the same problem on a 2004 Roo. In 2010 I found that the front bed rotted to where it had to be replaced. Now this was a 2004 and I was not the 1st owner. I called Forest River and they sent me a brand new front bed door with seals and everything. All I had to do was install it which took about 3 hours. Forest River really stands behind their products.
jerry929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:45 PM   #7

i have water accumulation on the floor where the water pump on front left side of my 2009 rockwood roo. water is dripping underneath. now i don't know if its coming from the rain or from outside water hose entry.....does anyone have the problem or heard about it?
Dacma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacma View Post
i have water accumulation on the floor where the water pump on front left side of my 2009 rockwood roo. water is dripping underneath. now i don't know if its coming from the rain or from outside water hose entry.....does anyone have the problem or heard about it?
first, it always helps knowing which model Roo you have, since they have the pump in different areas of the left or right side.
and pics are always helpful, like what the OP did.

without pics or more info, hard to say if it's a leak in your water system or a leak from somewhere else, such as the bunk door seals.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry929 View Post
I had the same problem on a 2004 Roo. In 2010 I found that the front bed rotted to where it had to be replaced. Now this was a 2004 and I was not the 1st owner. I called Forest River and they sent me a brand new front bed door with seals and everything. All I had to do was install it which took about 3 hours. Forest River really stands behind their products.
They didn't send it to you for free did they? On a 6 year old camper?
'09 Rockwood Roo 233s
'03 1500 Silverado LS

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.
popeye59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 11:11 PM   #10

leaks

I have found in the past 30 years that clearance lights are a major problem. Easy to remove and silicone behind and a thin bead around the top and down the sides will take care of things. Thin is the word so that a jackknife can remove the lens if need be.
leland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:31 AM   #11

That is good to know about Sealtech there is a dealer 30 minutes away that has that service. Very helpful.