Old 02-03-2015, 01:29 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I use an integrated controller (MaxBrake), and will never again settle for less. The trailers brakes are literally tied directly to the pressure of your tow vehicles brake pedal rather than the controller "guessing" how hard your braking via perceived inertia. This integration essentially works the same way the brakes on tractor trailers do (they use air rather than electricity, but same result). MaxBrake is no longer in business, but there is now a new/improved integrated controller available from DirecLink.

DirecLink Brake Controller - DirecLink.com

Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
Has anyone mentioned the Tekonsha prodigy yet? LOL Fantastic controller.

Nope. This is the first I've heard about it. 😉

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Now that I know there are TWO adjustment knobs, I will properly adjust the controller I've got. I will probably end up getting one of the P3 controllers since the display seems to provide some helpful feedback and diagnostic info. I'm really looking to get it dialed in and then just forget it.
As always, I really appreciate the feedback that all of you have provided. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Shamrock 23IKSS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DH-DW-D3K-DMTTSAP
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:45 AM   #13

You can't go wrong with the Prodigy 1 or Tekonsha 2 or 3. Made by the same company. Also it is a plug and play they have different pre wire hook-ups, easy install and works great....Good luck on your choice...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #14

I agree with all of the above. Tekonsha Prodigy
Old 02-03-2015, 02:43 PM   #15

P2
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #16

Brake Controllers - what's the diff?

I liked the Prodigy and here's why:
Many brake controllers are "blind" - they often can't distinguish between the tow vehicle lightly applying the brakes vs hammering hard for a panic stop. A good brake controller can tell the difference. That is called "proportional braking". You can still adjust the "starting point" on both types, but the unit without proportional braking assumes that it must be a need to ramp up the braking intensity if you ride the brakes for 5 seconds, and will apply full brakes on the trailer, resulting in skidding.
At the same time, if you are cornering and need to brake hard, the system without proportional braking might not stay behind you, and fishtail out.
The prodigy can tell the difference between you applying your brakes lightly, or hard.
It is also solid state/electronic. Most units are, but you'll see some older versions of various brands that have more moving parts, and more room for error, in my experience.
Prodigy is self-diagnosing, as are a few other models. That means you get a code to indicate the nature of the problem, should one develop. If the problem is a bad ground, low voltage on the tow vehicle battery, or one of many other issues, you get a specific error code to speed up the diagnostics. This means quick repairs if you can do it yourself, or cheaper repairs if you need to go to a shop for help.
The better brake controllers reduce your cost in the long run, since your brakes and tires will last longer - less chance of skidding, swaying, etc.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #17

Dealer put in a Hayes energizer 3 controller it did the same thing grab at low speed stopping did not like that feeling so went out and got a 2014 sliverado with the integrated brake controller once I set it haven't needed to adjust it since works great best mod for the camper yet lol

2014 roo 233S. 2008 saab 97x
dado39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:06 PM   #18

Thumbs up Brake Controller

Its the Prodigy 3 for me also. Set it and forget it, works very well.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #19

We had Ford dealer put in factory controller. It works great as it integrates with truck computer. Very little adjusting needed... and it remembers each trailer when it is connected to truck and resets controls accordingly. It also remembers the number of miles towing the trailer.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
I use an integrated controller (MaxBrake), and will never again settle for less. The trailers brakes are literally tied directly to the pressure of your tow vehicles brake pedal rather than the controller "guessing" how hard your braking via perceived inertia. This integration essentially works the same way the brakes on tractor trailers do (they use air rather than electricity, but same result). MaxBrake is no longer in business, but there is now a new/improved integrated controller available from DirecLink.

DirecLink Brake Controller - DirecLink.com
Anyone use the DirecLink controller? Was just thinking about pulling the trigger on ordering one for my new truck.

Tags
brake control, controller, electric, brakes