Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2015, 06:21 PM   #1

Which electric brake controller?

When we got our 23IKSS last summer, the dealer installed a Voyager electric brake controller. I've often had problems with it at low (<10mph) speeds where the brakes would grab and the trailer tires would skid. Stop and go traffic is a perfect example of where I'd have problems. So I'd back off the controller a little and they'd be ok, but once I got back up to normal speed I'd have to readjust because it felt like the brakes were not doing enough. It was the one and only thing I didn't like about our setup.

I started looking into some other controllers to see if there was something better out there. During the search I found the online manual for my Voyager and discovered that I have been adjusting the wrong knob. One knob is for leveling the unit and the other controls the power. Well, I never knew there were two knobs and the one I've been fiddling with is the level knob. Good grief Charlie Brown!

The dealer explained how I should adjust it when we bought the camper, but I either misunderstood or he told me the wrong way. Once it comes out of storage next month, I will readjust and see if it is better. But now I'm also wondering if the Voyager is a good unit, or if I should just upgrade to something better. I want this to be a set it and forget it thing if possible.

So what controller do you have, and does it require frequent adjustments?

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:41 PM   #2

I use Prodigy brake controller. I think it works well and have not had to adjust it since we installed it.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2012 Ford F150 EB Crew FX4 3.73 gears
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
Previous: 2012 Flagstaff MicroLite 23LB
2006 GMC Envoy Denali V8 & 2005 GMC Envoy I6
PSUFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:48 PM   #3

Same here, read lots of good reviews/comments about the P3 Prodigy here on the forum. Works great and once set, you don't have to keep adjusting the output power.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:58 PM   #4

+1 for the Tekonsha Prodigy brand of controllers. Ive got the P2 and once you get the initial setup good to go, you will be fine across the board.

Doug and Toni & Penny
2014 Wildcat Maxx T28RLS TT
2013 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42gears
Nites Camped 2015: 21
S1LV3R4D0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #5

Prodigy P2.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-02-2015, 07:37 PM   #6

Prodigy p3. Works fantastically and used is around 100 bucks.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:26 PM   #7

Just proves the old adage - When all else fails, read the instructions.

I suspect you'll be OK once you adjust it properly. Others on here with Voyagers have been happy.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:45 PM   #8

I had a Draw-Tite Activator II in my 2007 Tacoma. It was time delayed so it would provide the same amount of power to the brakes whether I tapped the brakes or slammed them. I recently bought a Tekonsha P3 Prodigy from a member on Tacomaworld.com for $90 and it's a proportional brake controller. If you tap the brakes on your TV, the camper will tap its brakes. If you slam on your TV brakes, so will the trailer. I've only used it on test runs to make sure I installed it correctly but in the limited use, I'd highly recommend it. When I had the Draw-Tite it would constantly lock up the brakes and I'd have to adjust it. It got really annoying after only one season of use. Hope this helps.
jeff_g90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:07 PM   #9

I also have a 23IKSS and my tow vehicle has the Prodigy P2 in it. Works great.
RCCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:29 AM   #10

Has anyone mentioned the Tekonsha prodigy yet? LOL Fantastic controller.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:29 AM   #11

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I use an integrated controller (MaxBrake), and will never again settle for less. The trailers brakes are literally tied directly to the pressure of your tow vehicles brake pedal rather than the controller "guessing" how hard your braking via perceived inertia. This integration essentially works the same way the brakes on tractor trailers do (they use air rather than electricity, but same result). MaxBrake is no longer in business, but there is now a new/improved integrated controller available from DirecLink.

DirecLink Brake Controller - DirecLink.com
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
Has anyone mentioned the Tekonsha prodigy yet? LOL Fantastic controller.

Nope. This is the first I've heard about it. 😉

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Now that I know there are TWO adjustment knobs, I will properly adjust the controller I've got. I will probably end up getting one of the P3 controllers since the display seems to provide some helpful feedback and diagnostic info. I'm really looking to get it dialed in and then just forget it.
As always, I really appreciate the feedback that all of you have provided. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:45 AM   #13

You can't go wrong with the Prodigy 1 or Tekonsha 2 or 3. Made by the same company. Also it is a plug and play they have different pre wire hook-ups, easy install and works great....Good luck on your choice...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #14

I agree with all of the above. Tekonsha Prodigy
Old 02-03-2015, 02:43 PM   #15

P2
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #16

Brake Controllers - what's the diff?

I liked the Prodigy and here's why:
Many brake controllers are "blind" - they often can't distinguish between the tow vehicle lightly applying the brakes vs hammering hard for a panic stop. A good brake controller can tell the difference. That is called "proportional braking". You can still adjust the "starting point" on both types, but the unit without proportional braking assumes that it must be a need to ramp up the braking intensity if you ride the brakes for 5 seconds, and will apply full brakes on the trailer, resulting in skidding.
At the same time, if you are cornering and need to brake hard, the system without proportional braking might not stay behind you, and fishtail out.
The prodigy can tell the difference between you applying your brakes lightly, or hard.
It is also solid state/electronic. Most units are, but you'll see some older versions of various brands that have more moving parts, and more room for error, in my experience.
Prodigy is self-diagnosing, as are a few other models. That means you get a code to indicate the nature of the problem, should one develop. If the problem is a bad ground, low voltage on the tow vehicle battery, or one of many other issues, you get a specific error code to speed up the diagnostics. This means quick repairs if you can do it yourself, or cheaper repairs if you need to go to a shop for help.
The better brake controllers reduce your cost in the long run, since your brakes and tires will last longer - less chance of skidding, swaying, etc.
Jerome Reinarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:48 PM   #17

Dealer put in a Hayes energizer 3 controller it did the same thing grab at low speed stopping did not like that feeling so went out and got a 2014 sliverado with the integrated brake controller once I set it haven't needed to adjust it since works great best mod for the camper yet lol

2014 roo 233S. 2008 saab 97x
dado39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:06 PM   #18

Thumbs up Brake Controller

Its the Prodigy 3 for me also. Set it and forget it, works very well.
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:21 AM   #19

We had Ford dealer put in factory controller. It works great as it integrates with truck computer. Very little adjusting needed... and it remembers each trailer when it is connected to truck and resets controls accordingly. It also remembers the number of miles towing the trailer.
KamperKen1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
I use an integrated controller (MaxBrake), and will never again settle for less. The trailers brakes are literally tied directly to the pressure of your tow vehicles brake pedal rather than the controller "guessing" how hard your braking via perceived inertia. This integration essentially works the same way the brakes on tractor trailers do (they use air rather than electricity, but same result). MaxBrake is no longer in business, but there is now a new/improved integrated controller available from DirecLink.

DirecLink Brake Controller - DirecLink.com
Anyone use the DirecLink controller? Was just thinking about pulling the trigger on ordering one for my new truck.
jshadonix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake control, controller, electric, brakes