Old 12-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #11
Albuquerque, NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDog66 View Post
I have already ordered the Equalizer 1000/10,000 WD w/sway (I'm assuming that is the 4-pt), I just wanted to make sure it wasn't too much hitch for my setup.

I was more worried about it putting too much pressure on the hitch receiver on my truck due to the 1000 trunion bars. I've been told it would be okay since it can be adjusted with more washers or by raising/lowering the mount point.
I use the 1,000/10,000 Equalizer setup to tow our 2011 Rockwood 2304, which has a dry hitch weight of 550, empty as built is 4,308. I don't find any problem using the larger number bars - the difference in the hitch setup between the 600/6,000 and 1,000/10,000 is the size of the 'spring arms.' (1 1/4" vs 1 3/8"). The Equalizer is not difficult to set up properly, and our hitch works just as advertised. I would not expect that with your setup you will have any problems. Just be sure to follow the instructions when you do the initial install!

Charlie

2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Char_n_Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #12

Charlie, thanks for the info. You must have loaded up your Model 2304 with options to go from 3519-lbs dry base weight to 4308-lbs dry as configured/built weight. It must be a heck of a nice TT.

Mine will be around 3700-lbs as configured and probably 4400-lbs loaded with a tongue weight around 550-lbs. Towed with my Froniter Pro-
4X Crew using a Curt Manufacturing class III hitch.

Is your Dakota a V6 or V8? A Quad, Extened or Standard Cab? How well does is pull your TT? Have you noticed any overly excessive wind sheer/drag issues when towing with your mid-size Dakota.
RD66

WD: Equalizer 1200/12K
BC: Ram OEM
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:22 AM   #13
Albuquerque, NM

Curt, you are welcome for the info. Our Dakota is a V8, extended cab 2 door (just enough room for our 7 y.o. to occupy with her stuff while driving!), with factory tow package. It pulls our TT just fine - except when going uphill into a strong headwind. We average about 10 mpg. The only time I notice any sway is when a semi passes me; but it is not overly significant & the Equalizer does its job quite well. I have noticed that with strong side winds I experience no sway. I'm glad, however, that we returned from our most recent trip last weekend - we just had 75 mph winds in Albuquerque yesterday! I wouldn't have wanted to have been driving in those...

You can find pics of our unit on this site through the 'photos' tab at the top. photos/member galleries/Char_n_Kath.

Charlie
2013 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Char_n_Kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:28 AM   #14

Drew, you have been immensely helpful to me, not only on deciding on a camper but now on a sway control bar. thank you!!

Tags
equalizer