Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2015, 10:13 PM   #1

Who owns the ROO 23IKSS?

Hi everyone! I am new to the HTT world, and was wondering how many of us here have this particular hybrid. I am learning as I go (in the driveway for now) and I thought that we could share our experiences, lessons learned and mods for our campers. So many folks here have helped me to find things in my camper, fix things, and appreciate many things I didn't know I had. Mine was bought used, so I never had a walk through, instructions, etc.

Let's share what we find out about this wonderful HTT!

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:46 PM   #2

We have a 2014 Shamrock 23ikss. We love our hybrid TT. My wife fell in love with the floor plan. I agree everyone here is very helpful and have helped me understand our TT better. We still have a lot to learn.
1beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:46 AM   #3

Us too! We've been driveway camping for the past two weekends..getting to know her a bit.

2014 Rockwood Roo 23IKSS
2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4X4
Me, Hubby and Luna the Lab
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:53 AM   #4

We have had ours since Oct 2013.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:14 AM   #5

Camping close to home is a great decision while you figure out what you need. Our first year the only issue was a leak in the shower faucet. A washer was missing. We camped 30 nights last year and love our Shamrock. My wife cut a pool noodle to cover end of table when slides are closed. Our table rubbed against the island.
1beachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #6

I just traded my Shasta 27TT for the Roo 23IKSS and could not be happier with what the new rig offers, love the sound of nature and noises (grew up in Brooklyn NY) and fresh air. I have zero regrets even though Shasta was my first after years of tent camping and I don't have payments on the new one 😜

2014 Ford F-150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB 3.5

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #7

We purchased our 2015 Shamrock 23IKSS last June. My wife wanted a pop up, and I wanted the IKSS. As soon as she went in, I knew it was a done deal. Now whenever we are camping and enjoying all the room this floor plan offers, I get to smile and say "I told you so". I don't get to say that often in life, so I have to enjoy it while I can...
For us, and where we are in life right now, it is the perfect setup. Small towing size, but when we get to camp and the two slides go out and we deploy the beds, it has plenty of room. We went to the Charlotte RV Show earlier this year and didn't see anything else we'd rather have.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #8
Old Ram Guy

We have a 23IKSS we bought new last July and so far we love it! I've been doing mods on it ever since I found this forum and this is a great place to go when you need answers. We took it out about three times last year before winter set in. I just de-winterized last weekend and driveway camped to check out everything. So we are ready to do some camping this year!!
Old 04-15-2015, 10:26 AM   #9

I've had my Roo since June last year. Love it! Had a few minor problems fixed under warranty. Love the open floor plan. Wish it had vinyl windows on bunks and a heating vent on front end. Getting ready make the reflectix window covers and would like to know if I need pugs? How are they attached at the top of the bunk? It was my retirement present to me!
syogerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:33 AM   #10

Reflecting and Pugs work well? I have found there are only two heat vents one in the back and one in the bathroom sort of takes a bit to heat the entire trailer tent ends stay cook in 30degree weather hope the AC works well in the summer as it takes a while to cool down from what I have noticed

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 04-15-2015, 10:53 AM   #11

Bought ours in Sept last year. Traded in a Travelstar 21rbss (so pretty similar). Only one voyage (next one is in 15 minutes) but many many mods. The only one I wish I could do is the under cabinet mount coffee maker. I let it go with the old one only to find out that Mr. Coffee stopped making them.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #12

Yes, PUGS and reflectix work wonders. I recommend getting both. Makes a huge difference in the heat of the summer and cool fall nights. One roll of this will take care of all the windows in the front and back bunks:

Shop Reflectix R21 48-in x 25-ft Unfaced Reflective Roll Insulation at Lowes.com

As for the PUGS, we have the Super High Wind version and paid a little extra to have them sew some Velcro on them for attaching to the camper. works great.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
Old 04-15-2015, 12:37 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by syogerst View Post
Getting ready make the reflectix window covers and would like to know if I need pugs? How are they attached at the top of the bunk? It was my retirement present to me!
just go to PUG's website. plenty of pics showing how they attach.

95% of PUGs/solar blankets owners love them. that's why they are the #1 mod for hybrids.
Bob Pitney at PUGs, is a great person to deal with and customer service is tops.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
Reflecting and Pugs work well? I have found there are only two heat vents one in the back and one in the bathroom sort of takes a bit to heat the entire trailer tent ends stay cook in 30degree weather hope the AC works well in the summer as it takes a while to cool down from what I have noticed

2015 Roo 23IKSS

Just a suggestion but turn your ac on as soon as you get to the campground. Set all your other stuff and save opening the tent ends until last. Cools much quicker that way.
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:56 PM   #15

We've had ours for nearly a year now. Its been great so far...no problems. Bought it for the storage, the open floor plan, and the second bed for grandkids. Don't have to fold down the table or sofa unless their parents come also. Happy wife.....most important!!
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:29 PM   #16

DK in SC,

Where did and how did you apply the other piece of Velcro to your trailer? We have the PUG's and would like to have it fasten closer to the top.

Bonnie
dudleydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:33 PM   #17

We just got our ROO out of storage in Georgia and are heading back to Wisconsin It rained last night and while we were closing up. Now we opened up for the night and the mattresses are wet. What did we do wrong? Do I cover the mattresses with plastic before closing? I did use the vent fans to suck in the bunk ends and couldn't believe how well that worked.

Bonnie
Old 04-15-2015, 05:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudleydoo View Post
DK in SC,

Where did and how did you apply the other piece of Velcro to your trailer? We have the PUG's and would like to have it fasten closer to the top.

Bonnie
Hi Bonnie - the link below should help. I purchased the industrial strength Velcro from Lowes.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...mos-66758.html

Be sure the surface is very clean and dry before applying the Velcro and also give the Velcro ample time to bond before attaching the PUGS - I'd suggest letting it set overnight.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
Old 04-15-2015, 06:10 PM   #19

Thanks DK, the pictures help. That will be my first project when we get home. The first time we used the PUG in Georgia we had some really high winds and were glad we purchased the high wind one. They stayed on okay. After unhooking the PUG from underneath do you leave them on the bunk end when you put it up?

Do you have a solution to wet beds from putting the bunk ends up while raining? Maybe the PUG would have eliminated this.

Bonnie
Old 04-15-2015, 06:22 PM   #20

I take the PUGS off whenever closing up the camper. I don't know that it would close up properly with them attached. As for the wet ends, we have not had to pack up in the rain (yet), but if we did, I'd probably relocate the mattresses to the top of the dinette table for travel. It is a pain to do, but it would keep them dry.

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL

Tags
roo