Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #1

Why do you think.......

Just wondering, but why do you think there are sooooo many hybrids in the northern US and Canada, but so few out west and in the warmer climates?
I'd think that the colder the weather, there would be more of a demand for hardsides, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Some of those tough Canadians camp in their HTT when the snow is "up to there". When we're getting ready to pick up the pink stuff to winterize, seems like many of the northerners are just getting geared up.

Dadmomh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
Grape Escape

I don't understand it either other than lots of room for the kids for sleeping area.
Can't see be able to air condition them very well with the canvas sides and roofs.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:17 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
I don't understand it either other than lots of room for the kids for sleeping area.
Can't see be able to air condition them very well with the canvas sides and roofs.
hybrids don't have canvas roofs. using solar blankets and reflectix enable many hybrid owners to camp in very cold and very hot environments.

i've tried to figure this out. here out west, we camp year-round with weather rarely being a factor. yet, you see very few hybrids.
i do know that few dealers out here carry them. i believe that dealers out here feel that if you can't afford an expensive RV(motorhome or 5th wheel), then you're a candidate for a popup. they see hybrids as a bigger popup but not a money maker. they carry popups for those who they can't upsell to something more expensive.

when we were shopping, the sales people kept trying to upsell us to a bigger RV. they felt that since we were moving from a popup, that a TT, 5th wheel or motorhome was the next step.
plus, toyhaulers are huge out here. they take a big chunk of the market sales.

i will say that more and more i see hybrids out here. they seem to be making inroads and more dealers are selling them to offer a wider variety of RV types. the new bigger teardrops are another example.
dealers are having to offer something between a popup and the more expensive RV's.
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #4

We got our hybrid (Roo 19) because we had outgrown our pop up but didn't want to give up that "tenting" feel you get without being on the ground. Have to say, there is nothing like being out on a hot summer evening with the windows open on the ends and a cool breeze blowing through. Can't do that in a full hard side. Having said that, we went out for the last run of the year on our Thanksgiving long weekend (Oct 9,0,11) and it was COLD at night. We stay around Hedley, B.C. (4 hours from home) and it got as low as -9 degrees celcius at night. The Similkameen river started to ice over in a few spots. I equipped our trailer with and Espar D4 Airtronic heater that I run on Kerosene fuel. It ran for 40 hours, used 7 litres of fuel and my batteries (2 deep cycle) never went below 2/3, and the inside of the trailer never got cooler than 18 degrees Celcius (about 68 F), with both ends down and the pop up gizmos on. It's personal preference, but for anybody that asks, I say go with a Hybrid. Besides, if the weather really gets foul, you can always "turtle" the trailer and wait it out.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo