Old 01-27-2015, 09:51 AM   #11
Mod free 5er
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
You are worrying about things that you shouldn't worry about, IMHO. Neither you nor your truck will every know the difference in ~200lbs. tongue weight. How did we survive before payload stickers and internet forums…...
We didn't have the weight police reading lawyer stickers. LOL

OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #12
Originally Posted by sponge View Post
Thanks for the feedback. The toy hauler had a tongue weight around 600, weighed 5700 lbs and I carried a kayak, no motorized toys. 27 feet. I wasn't towing a monster toy hauler.

Thanks again. I guess I will need to decide if 2k less pounds and 5 feet shorter will make enough difference to improve my tow experience. My hunch is it will be remarkably similar due to frontal profile.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
What is it about towing the current camper that you don't like? The big frontal area and the drag it creates won't change with the Roo. But, toyhaulers tend to be tongue - light which can make them difficult to tow. Not sure that is your case though with just a kayak.

We tow our 23IKSS with an older F-150 with the 5.4L V-8. The Eco-boost should be as good/better for power and towing. What gear ratio do you have? Ours is tongue heavy as well - like 800 lbs. When I weighed it we were right at the max GVWR for the truck, so I try to keep the stuff in the bed to a minimum, but tows and handles nicely.

Guess it depends on what the issue is with current tt, but the 21DK may well be a good match for your truck.

2005 F-150 FX4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #13
I would think when you load the toys in the back it will transfer some of that weight. Your problems before May have been based on the length of the trailer and not the actual weight of it. See if they will let you test tow it.

People can describe their own personal experiance with towing and state things tow just great, but only your comfort zone will tell the true story. Been in lots of great towing setups that I found towed very poorly. The jolts from the back did not bother the owner and they stated towed great, I like not knowing it is back there. Talk is cheap, test tow it if you can,
2015 Sandpiper 30IOK
2014 Ram 6.7 CC DRW
2006 Charger RT
X96mnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #14
Thanks...great advice. I think it was the sum of the parts that bothered me. Too long to pull into the drive to load and kind of a pain to back up into storage...heavy enough on the tongue that I worry about packing...and the width that makes it difficult to see around. I was hoping the hybrid would help with 2 of the 3. I think it will help only with length.

I will look into a test tow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:39 AM   #15
This is one of the reasons I went with the 23SS instead of the 21SS or the 21DK. Althought the base weights are similar, the tongue weight is about 200 lbs less. The additional counter space was also a factor, but the tongue weight was a a big one for me, given the limitation of 660lb on the Tacoma TRD sport.

nipmuck is offline   Reply With Quote