Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #1

Winegard Antenna replacement parts

Being it is somewhat of a nice day, without rain so far, I thought I would go out and further investigate my Winegard Batwing Antenna and see if I can figure out why it jumps and hesitates to rise when I crank it up. With a little outside assistance it goes up and stays up. But once it is down, you have to repeat the assistant process all over again.

BTW, only receives 3 channels sitting currently.

I already checked the inside crank, it is fine. I thought maybe something would have been stripped inside the handle mechanism, or shaft. And being it's plastic and given the age of my HTT, anything was possible

So after some much needed reading and Youtube surfing I figured out how to look into the guts on top. No gear bolt on top of casing, just encased by the plastic covering, held with 3 screws. I was all set to put some silicone spray down inside hoping for quick results. That was the plan anyways.

Ahhhh, found the culprit! Looks to be the antenna was truly enjoyed in it's day as some of the spiral teeth on the Worm Gear are missing and the Elevating Elevation Gear is worn down as well.

I generally wouldn't worry about the Antenna, as we have never had one before on our Pop Ups, so I figured as long as it's there I might as well see how well it works.

Well, I'm glad I checked it out and being it's an EZ fix, it's just something else to be ANAL over.

BTW, I'm now also thinking of checking out the Winegard Wingman to see if we would benefit and get more channels.

Anyone else had to replace their Winegard parts or have tried the Wingman Booster?

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #2

The wingman picks up UHF which most channels are on. Makes a big difference.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubya View Post
The wingman picks up UHF which most channels are on. Makes a big difference.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Thanks Ddubya,

My wheels are a turning so think I'm going to take the plunge and order one. From what I hear and have read the telescoping antennas ( which I have ) are pretty decent with their reception abilities. And with the additional boost I may even ENJOY watching the tube while camping. Gotta pull me away from the campfire first though!

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #4

Get the Razar upgrade. It is awsome!
cpd1343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:52 AM   #5

Wingman (white for RV and grey for residential). About $30 online from Walmart and a few others. Goes on in less than one minute. If you get the grey, just transfer the rubber feet to it after it is mounted. Should double your range. Unfortunately had to bend one element to clear A/C housing when down. Used Genie worm gear grease on cog works very well.
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #6

Grease the gears with blue boat trailer wheel bearing grease.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, parts, replacement, winegard