Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2015, 01:06 PM   #1

Winter Camping

Just curious, we live near St. Louis and have been wondering about how far into winter we can camp (staying in/around Missouri). Our TT has "heated" pads on the tanks but not sure if this makes us "4-season" or just a gimmick. Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

rompinroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:31 PM   #2
Broken Toe

I'm near St. Louis, and I have stayed in mine in January. I wouldn't trust the heater pads in freezing weather though. I would winterize the systems and bring water and make other arrangements for the toilet facilities. Be aware that many state parks close the restroom-shower facilities during the off season.

My roo's furnace works well (coupled with the heated mattresses) to keep it cozy enough for camping. If you really really really want to be camping, then you can go just about any time, but a frigid day cooped up in the camper trying to stay warm is not a great time.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:47 PM   #3

We live in STL as well...

our rule of thumb, if its too hot or cold to go outside and play, we have more room and more channels at our house.

We are planning on going camping this weekend and possibly thanksgiving weekend but will probably shut the camper up after that. Shower / restrooms close the week of thanksgiving or after in MO and in Illinois.

Staying warm with your furnace (or use an electric heater to save propane) is the easy part, the hard part is dealing with the freezing tanks water supplies etc
Old 11-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #4

We winter camp, but southern Oklahoma is as far north as we go. We do encounter temps below freezing but the electric heater keeps up OK and the heater seldom kicks on. I usually disconnect the hose and leave it under the trailer on nights I know it might freeze. It's usually clear when I reconnect it in the morning. I've been to Arizona a few times in February... and it's pretty wonderful... High 60s in the day and mid 30s at night.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #5

Very nice! We may need to expand our travel area. Our TT came with tank heaters but we aren't quite sure how these things work.

rompinroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, winter