Old 10-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #1

Winter trip to Florida

I just finished winterizing my 23ikss. I figured I would not be using it this winter, however the wife may want to go Fl to visit friends in February. Any ideas how to best handle de-winterizing and then winterizing prior to the way home? Any tips/experiences would be greatly appreciated. This is my first TT and we have only be out for several trips so far.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I do this in March, still cold and freezing possible here until mid May. I leave it winterized until I get to FL, then flush lines and sanitize once on site. For the trip home I open all the low point drains and get as much water out as possible. Since it's late March for us, I usually wait until I get home to blow lines and add antifreeze. I drive straight through from OH though, so if you plan on stopping and camping, I would wait until your last most northern stop before freezing temps to winterize again.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:35 AM   #3

I head to FL every year in January from the DC metro area. Its winterized when I leave, but my first nights stop I dewinterize and flush the lines. I usually stop near the SC/GA boarder area for the night, and temps are not in a hard freeze down that way. So even dewinterized there is little risk of freeze up for the remainder of the trip.

Depending on where you are traveling down from, you may need to wait longer or just see what the weather along the way is after your first nights stop to determine if dewinterizing will be an issue or not. Even comming down from Ohio, you can get far enough south where it may be cold and near freezing, but not staying that temp all day for a hard freeze and be able to start using the water system long before you get to FL.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #4

So then question for this...do you do anything to the frame of the camper to protect it from salt? Any type of rust proofing?
Nights camped 2013: 17
Shado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shado View Post
So then question for this...do you do anything to the frame of the camper to protect it from salt? Any type of rust proofing?
I don't do anything to protect form road salt, although I do hose it down once I'm back home. Mine is completely covered underneath, so I'm not real concerned.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #6

See it's the frame I wonder about. The same as a vehicule frame. Eventually the salt will eat at the frame. We need to winterize our cars and trucks here so I am wondering what the salt would do to the camper frame which is no where near as solid.
Nights camped 2013: 17
Shado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #7

I would not worry about the salt on the frame. Car bodies rust up here in the north, but I've never seen a frame rust to the extent of failure. The body of your RV, if fiberglass, will show no adverse affects. The frame is powder coated or at least painted. Just hose it off when you get home. If you see some spots on the frame that are getting some surface anomalies, you can always touch them up with some Rust-Oleum.

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #8

If your worried about the road salt, prepare to rinse off the trailer when you get home. Even from VA, we do get snow and have had salt down on departure, I rinsed it when I got there, and then again when I got home.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #9

We winter camp and tow in the winter almost weekly and have had very little issues. Going to FL will be no real issue of course as the TT will be winterized. Upon arrival I'd find somewhere to rinse the TT to get the majority of the salt/brine off it.

Winterize before returning to the deep freeze and if it is not freezing perhaps try and rinse off the rig before storing it.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #10

Attention all "snowbirds"....

Be advised of new Florida Statute...to wit..."...all out of state persons intending to enter the sunshine state during the winter months must first show proof of having visited the state for a period of not less than ten days during the months of July/August..."
Sorry.

Besides, the weather here in January is simply atrocious...why would you even think of coming down in the first place?! Really, Michigan is much more pleasant this time of year...or Buffalo...

Barker 3500 Tongue Jack
DW & a feisty Border Terrier named Painter
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote