Old 10-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #11
Site Team

What happens when AF gets diluted with water.

Sorry, but I'm going to continue to blow out my lines with my "dirty" air just like many other 100's of thousands of campers have done for many years with no problems.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:18 PM   #12

I always sanitize my lines and water tank every year. I don't think it would be an option in the manual to blow out the lines with air if it was going to harm you or your unit..

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Old 10-29-2015, 01:38 PM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Lol i don't like to drink bleach either but I still use it to sanitize.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:41 PM   #14

I don't either but unfortunately they sanitize everything you use or eat off of in fast foot restaurants, and many other things lol

Old 10-29-2015, 03:34 PM   #15

newbie questions here. if I blow out the lines, take off the p-traps and empty
them and drain at low points, why use AF? is there residual water in the water pump?

It's a nice night for an evening
woodpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:41 PM   #16

If you blow the lines out it blows all the water out of the water pump. There is no way you would get to the traps on the shower, or toilet. Plus all that labor, just pour antifreeze down the drains and in toilet, it has no affect on you this way either

Old 10-29-2015, 03:43 PM   #17
cogito ergo moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
them and drain at low points, why use AF? is there residual water in the water pump?

If you empty the p-traps, then you don't need the A/F. But its a lot easier to just pour A/F in the drains than to disassemble them. I have no issues with A/F in my drains or toilet. I just don't want it anywhere near my fresh water system. The pump is a positive displacement type, and will clear itself when running. I run it for 10 seconds or so while I have the air hooked up to purge it out, then I drain the little settling bowl on the side.

At any rate, a little A/F in the toilet during winter storage keeps the flapper seal from drying out and shrinking.

Tim
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 03:50 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpile View Post
I blow the lines out but I'm never positive that ALL the water is out. Adding the AF is just extra security and piece of mind.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:03 PM   #19
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
If you empty the p-traps, then you don't need the A/F. But its a lot easier to just pour A/F in the drains than to disassemble them. I have no issues with A/F in my drains or toilet. I just don't want it anywhere near my fresh water system. The pump is a positive displacement type, and will clear itself when running. I run it for 10 seconds or so while I have the air hooked up to purge it out, then I drain the little settling bowl on the side.

At any rate, a little A/F in the toilet during winter storage keeps the flapper seal from drying out and shrinking.

Tim
My RV service guy told me to keep the toilet flap slightly wedged open to drain any leftover water that may accumulate in the valve (mine froze last winter) even after blowing out the lines (I don't use antifreeze in the water lines, just in the traps). I just got through winterizing this morning and wedged the flapper seal open, and the "aroma" is so disgusting (the sh.. tank is empty), that I may have to take my chances and keep the it closed after all and pour some antifreeze in instead. What does the majority do?
Old 10-29-2015, 04:13 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
My RV service guy told me to keep the toilet flap slightly wedged open to drain any leftover water that may accumulate in the valve (mine froze last winter) even after blowing out the lines (I don't use antifreeze in the water lines, just in the traps). I just got through winterizing this morning and wedged the trap open, and the "aroma" is so disgusting (the sh.. tank is empty), that I may have to take my chances and keep the trap closed after all and pour some antifreeze in instead. What does the majority do?
Leave it sealed and pour some AF into the bowl to keep the seal from drying out. Even if a little water dribbles out it shouldn't dilute it enough to matter.

Added bonus of keep the smell out as well.

Tags
winter