Old 11-12-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
cogito ergo moo

Winterize the 21SSL this weekend.

It took 17 minutes by my watch. Here's the sequence, in order.

1) Pulled drain plug for freshwater tank.

2) Vented water heater using pressure relief and removed anode to drain.

3) While freshwater tank and WH was draining, removed bowls for water filter and pump strainer. Drained water out of them and replaced.

4)Turned both valves on at water pump (outside supply and tank supply valves)

5) replaced anode in WH and closed pressure relief.

6)Set air compressor regulator to 20PSI and hooked up to water inlet fitting using home made adapter.

7)Due to air going into fresh tank, had to adjust regulator to maintain 20psi.

8) opened furthest water taps from inlet (it was outside shower) ran til nothing but air came out both hot and cold side.

9) ran inside shower, bathroom sink and toilet fill till nothing but air came out.

10) turned on water pump, ran kitchen cold till nothing but air.

11) turned water pump off, ran kitchen hot till nothing but air.

12) repeated steps 8-11 again.

13) unhook air compressor.

14) Replace drain, close all compartments and valves, add a bit of pink stuff to toilet bowl, and put all tools away.

17 minutes, elapsed.

For my money, there is no better way to winterize. No messing around with antifreeze, and if in two weeks we get a nice weekend, I can use my camper, and just blow the lines out again when I am done.

Tim

Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

Any reason for furtherest water tap to closest? I've read it being done both ways.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
cogito ergo moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Any reason for furtherest water tap to closest? I've read it being done both ways.
Well, you gotta start at one end or the other, right? I guess it really makes no difference, but I have always did farthest first.

The key is do it at least TWICE. That way you are sure you have no water slugs in the lines. Its ok to have some small droplets left, those can freeze harmlessly. But big water slugs will burst pipes.

The previous owner of my old class-A would run pink stuff into the main freshwater tank every winter. Even after 3 years and god knows how many rinses, I could still detect a faint taste/odor of the anti-freeze. especially in my coffee. Screw that. I vowed never to let pink stuff touch my fresh water system.

tim
Rallies Attended:
Cowracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Thanks Tim. I wasn't sure which way to do it and could mentally make arguments for both. But I wholly agree that doing it twice is the way to go.

So now to count how many water taps I have... yep, right about a bajillion.

Tags
21ssl, winter, winterize