Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2012, 11:41 AM   #1

winterizing

Yes....I know a sad subject.

I had my dealer winterize my trailer as I was having warranty work done anyway. I'm going to de-winterize it in the spring and winterize it going forward. As noted in the many threads on the subject, there are three ways to winterize: compressed air, antifreeze, and go to Florida (I prefer this method, but, it's not in the cards)

My question is:

Unless I'm missing something, why would anyone not use the compressed air method? It is certainly more cost effective, less time required and does the job?

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #2

Always that chance that there will still be a pocket of water when using air alone. It happened to me, my first year with current unit. Now I combine BOTH methods.

1) Drain fresh water tank
2) Drain Water heater, reinstall plug.
3) Blow-out entire system.
4) Turn Water Heater by-pass valves to winter positions.
5) Run pink anti-freeze through pump until I get pink from all faucets, shower, & toilet.
6) Add cup of antifreeze to each drain (for the p-trap).
7) Blow water out of Tornado Flush (black tank sprayer).

Entire process takes less than 30 minutes.

In the summer, I flush everything WELL before opening Water Heater valve.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I do like Fire Instructor, but then I blow the lines a 2nd time. Any "pockets" of liquid in the low points will be antifreeze. Since I already have thing set up for blowing the lines, the 2nd time gets me already for next spring.....I don't have to blow then lines then when getting ready to sanitize the water lines.

I have always been a little fearful of just blowing the lines......air can blow over low spots, leaving water in places. Fire Instructor's post confirms that fear for me.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy
I do like Fire Instructor, but then I blow the lines a 2nd time. Any "pockets" of liquid in the low points will be antifreeze. Since I already have thing set up for blowing the lines, the 2nd time gets me already for next spring.....I don't have to blow then lines then when getting ready to sanitize the water lines.

I have always been a little fearful of just blowing the lines......air can blow over low spots, leaving water in places. Fire Instructor's post confirms that fear for me.
I do the same .

You have to buy atleast a gallon of antifreeze for traps....... so what's another two gallons to blow through the lines .

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
air can blow over low spots, leaving water in places. Fire Instructor's post confirms that fear for me.
My lower than drain low point was at the bottom pipe of my water heater. After I drained the water heater, I had closed the two valves and opened the bypass, then run the pink stuff... What I didn't realize was that the bottom pipe still had water, and when it froze, it broke the back-side fitting of the lower bypass valve. The real hassle was being enough of a contorsionist to climb and reach behind the water heater far enough to fix it!

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #6

some great points.
Thanks,

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote