Old 08-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #1

Winterizing my new roo 183

Hi all, yes it is early to talk about the end of the season,,,however I just picked up our new 2013 183 and I am playing with my new toy, including reading through the owners manuals and tryiing things out, I have read about winterizing it, in typical RV owners manual fashion it is vague, the dealer did a great job going through the RV with me however this is a very important job to know, I would love to hear a breakdown of proceedure and tips from a 183 owner, as missing one little thing can be a problem as I found out on my old tent trailer, as a note we pretty much loaded it up so we have the hot water tanks etc.
Thanks

Old 08-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #2

I do both methods and if you have a black tank flush don't forget to do that.

Compressed Air (Dry) Method: 1

Uses compressed air to blow out any remaining water in the system after draining it of all water out of the campers water system. This method requires an air compressor and appropriate adapters.

RV Anti-Freeze (Wet) Method: 2

Uses, RV approved, nontoxic potable anti-freeze in the system and does not require any special tools.

Method 1 Compressed Air

1. Purchase 1-2 gallons of RV non-toxic anti-freeze.
2. Drain the fresh water tank and empty the waste water holding tanks*
3. Turn water heater by-pass valve to by-pass position.
4. Drain water heater.
5. If installed, remove water filter from assembly and discard. Install diverter if included.
6. Open all faucets including showerhead, sprayer, toilet flushing device and any other water lines that are closed.
7. Turn on the water pump for 30 seconds to clear out any water in the lines.
8. Connect an air hose with an adapter to the city water fill connection.
9. Set pressure no greater than 30 pounds and blow out the water lines until no water can be seen coming out of the fixtures and lines.
10. Pour RV anti-freeze into drains, p-traps, toilets, and tanks.

Method 2 RV Antifreeze

1. Drain all tanks: fresh water, gray water, galley water and sewage tanks.*
2. Purchase 4-6 gallons of RV approved, non-toxic anti-freeze and poor into fresh water tank.
3. Turn water heater by-pass valve to by-pass position.
4. Drain water heater.
5. If installed, remove water filter from assembly and discard. Install diverter if included.
6. Turn on water pump switch & open cold water side of all faucet fixtures starting with the fixture that is the furthest away from the water pump. Leave open until the anti-freeze comes out. When anti-freeze comes out close and move to the next faucet fixture and do the same until all cold lines are complete. Repeat this with hot water side.
7. Flush toilet until anti-freeze begins to flow into the bowl and then pour one gallon of anti freeze down the toilet to winterize the black tank or re-dump tank and leave dry.
8. Pour anti-freeze down each shower/tub, lavatory sink, and kitchen sink to fill p-traps.
9. To winterize grey tank(s) pour one gallon down into each tank by a related sink drain or re-dump tank and leave dry.

If you have a fresh water pump kit on your camper you do not have to poor the anti-freeze into the fresh water tank after draining it. You can just turn it on and stick the hose straight into the gallon jug of RV anti-freeze and pump it that way. This way normally takes less RV anti-freeze and can save you money over the life of your camping trailer.

DE-WINTERIZATION / REMOVAL OF ANTI-FREEZE

If purchasing a coach that is winterized with RV anti-freeze or having had an existing unit winterized before winter storage, the plumbing system must be flushed and sanitized prior to use. Do not attempt to turn on water heater if system is winterized. Perform the following prior to attempting to operate the water heater or use the plumbing system.

1. Drain all tanks (fresh water and sewage)*
2. Attach garden hose to fresh water fill and fill tank.
3. Turn on pump switch and open cold water side of all faucet/ shower fixtures. Leave open until water runs clear. Repeat for hot water side.
4. Flush toilet until clear water runs into bowl.
5. Dump tanks again.
6. Sanitize water system.
7. If a water filter is installed, drain lines, remove filter assembly, clean and reinstall with new filter.
8. When ready to use the water heater, turn by-pass valve to open position to allow water to enter hot water heater tank and fill according to instructions.

* Waste water tanks must be dumped at state approved locations.

http://www.facebook.com/WestAllisSunshiners
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #3

Thanks you so much for the detail I will print and keep with my manuals, appreciate it,
Old 08-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #4

How do you sanitize after the flush?
Old 08-25-2012, 09:59 AM   #5
AKA Indiana Jones

Some of the new Roos have a separate antifreeze intake on the outside of the trailer, near the fresh water tank/city water inlets. If yours has this, simply turn the valve near the pump to draw antifreeze from the inlet, instead of water from the fresh water tank, insert a hose into the jug of antifreeze, and turn on the pump. Follow the other instructions on winterizing with antifreeze as outlined above.
And it should really only take a couple of gallons of antifreeze. Usually a gallon and a half for all the plumbing, then pour the rest down the drains.
Old 08-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmh462 View Post
Some of the new Roos have a separate antifreeze intake on the outside of the trailer, near the fresh water tank/city water inlets.
Really! that's the first i've heard of that. i've not seen it as a feature or option either.
nor have i seen it mentioned on any of the 5 other hybrid forums i'm a member of.

if someone actually has this, please post a pic of this, for other Roo/Shamrock owners or future buyers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The antifreeze inlet is real, I think. Although I haven't seen one either. I "think" it was late last year. If so, that might explain why we haven't heard anyone talking about it.

There is a feature on the FR website for Outside Antifreeze Stations in Storage Compartments. I wonder if that is it.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #8

My 2012 Roo 19 has the antifreeze inlet. Just bought it in May, so I can't tell you how well it works. It's listed in the brochure as a standard feature on all UltraLites, MiniLites, and Roos.
Old 08-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
My 2012 Roo 19 has the antifreeze inlet. Just bought it in May, so I can't tell you how well it works. It's listed in the brochure as a standard feature on all UltraLites, MiniLites, and Roos.
without any pics, it ain't real!!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #10

I will also go on record confirming the inlet :-)

Unfortunately I have to store my Roo at a location that is not immediately accessible, but will post a pic when I can.

Wife: NY
Me: IL
3 Akitas (RIP D-Dog)
biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote