Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2015, 10:01 PM   #1
pxt

Winterizing Port on 2016 models

What's the method of using the winterizing Port on new trailers. Do you pump antifreeze through that port or compressed air? Ty
pxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:07 PM   #2
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

This port connects to the suction side of the pump. I believe you need to switch a 3-way to use the port, so it draws from this port instead of the FW tank. Simply connect a hose to this port, place the hose in your RV antifreeze container, open the 3-way valve, and open fixtures inside to winterize your water lines. The owners manual will give you more information.

The FR owners manual are available at the website and as apps for smartphones

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
elundquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:31 AM   #3
pxt

Owners manual is not updated.
pxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #4

The winterizing procedure hasn't changed in many years, that information is never out of date. Plus, all the do to update the information is change the date on the first page.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:09 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by elundquist View Post
This port connects to the suction side of the pump. I believe you need to switch a 3-way to use the port, so it draws from this port instead of the FW tank. Simply connect a hose to this port, place the hose in your RV antifreeze container, open the 3-way valve, and open fixtures inside to winterize your water lines. The owners manual will give you more information.

The FR owners manual are available at the website and as apps for smartphones

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

Some trailers have a 3-way valve; some have two valves, one in the line from the FW tank and one in the line to the AF port. (My Roo had 2 valves, my Mini-Lite has a 3-way.) If you have the 2 valves, close the one to the FW tank and open the one from the AF port.

(Also, if you've got the two valves, you've got a handy way to fill the FW tank with a hose. Hook the hose to the AF port (instead of the city water connection), and open both valves. That will put water from the hose into the FW tank. Open one valve SLOWLY so you don't fill the FW tank too fast and blow it up.)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #6
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner

If you open the gravity fill while filling with the antifreeze line the FW tank will just over flow out the gravity fill preventing ballooning the FW tank.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
elundquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by elundquist View Post
If you open the gravity fill while filling with the antifreeze line the FW tank will just over flow out the gravity fill preventing ballooning the FW tank.

Erik Lundquist
iPhone 6S using Tapatalk
In theory, you're correct. But if you are filling with the hose faster than the gravity fill can handle it will balloon the tank. There are threads here where people have done it. Best to fill slowly.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:57 AM   #8

I thought he was asking about winterizing not filling the FW tank. You don't want to put any RV antifreeze in the FW tank. Just close the valve for the inlet to the WH and if you have a valve on the outlet close that one also (some RV have a check valve there) and open the valve between them so you don't put 6 gallons of antifreeze in the WH. There will be a valve on the inlet side of the water pump and a short piece of hose connected to it with a cap on it. Turn the valve so the pump will draw from the hose that you put down in the antifreeze jug. Run every faucet, toilet, shower until you get a good flow of antifreeze showing and that's it. Don't forget to drain your black and grey tanks and drain the fresh water tank of any remaining liquid. Also put some antifreeze in your black and grey tanks and any "p" traps in the drains. If you aren't sure how to do it take a look at a number of "You Tube" videos on the subject.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:01 PM   #9

Is it absolutely necessary to remove my filter element from the inline "whole house" water filter before filling the system with antifreeze? I only need to winterize for about a month before we head down to Florida the end of December. Is there an issue with the non-toxic plumbing antifreeze attacking the filter or won't it just flush out like the rest of the system when I hook up to a water supply?
jz5w63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #10

Remove the filter

The whole house water filter is pretty easy to remove with a spanner tool. If you don't have one, most home improvement centers carry them. If you haven't replaced the filter recently, it may be a good time when you get ready to go. We use carbon filters that we purchase at the home improvement store. Having just winterized, I removed the filter. It is not worth your family's health for a few turns of the filter housing.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:50 PM   #11

Winterizing conundrum

DO I WINTERIZE OR NOT....... We live in NE Texas so we do get some hard freezes. The problem is that we will want to go south and camp out in Jan or Feb for a week at a time. Could I simply blow out the lines with my air compressor??? Would that we sufficient??

(Looking at the Georgetown 329DS)
Nights camped in 2011/16; 2012/15; 2013/48;
2014/10; 2015/101 2016/55 yr to date
pkenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:50 PM   #12
FF,Retired.

I live in Eastern Canada & just winterized today.
I used a small compressor to blow out all the lines. I then added antifreeze but I think the air would have been enough.
We are heading to Galveston Island some time after Christmas for about 3 months.
Love13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:59 PM   #13
New to FR. Old to TT

I would just blow out the water lines, drain the fw tank. If you have a air compressor set your regular to about 45 lb. and get an quick release coupling and fit to a cut off garden hose then you can attach it to your city water connection and bleed out all the water from the sinks and shower, toilet. Then just dump a little pink stuff in the drains and you will be good to go. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
I thought he was asking about winterizing not filling the FW tank. You don't want to put any RV antifreeze in the FW tank. Just close the valve for the inlet to the WH and if you have a valve on the outlet close that one also (some RV have a check valve there) and open the valve between them so you don't put 6 gallons of antifreeze in the WH. There will be a valve on the inlet side of the water pump and a short piece of hose connected to it with a cap on it. Turn the valve so the pump will draw from the hose that you put down in the antifreeze jug. Run every faucet, toilet, shower until you get a good flow of antifreeze showing and that's it. Don't forget to drain your black and grey tanks and drain the fresh water tank of any remaining liquid. Also put some antifreeze in your black and grey tanks and any "p" traps in the drains. If you aren't sure how to do it take a look at a number of "You Tube" videos on the subject.
Did mine yesterday just like BooBoo said. This is my first RV with the winterizing port and it was super easy. I have the in line water filter so I removed the element prior to winterizing. Did not blow out the lines only because I do not own a compressor.
2 Old Town kayaks & 2 Boston Terriers - Zoey/Gonzo
Lar & Ruth
CNYCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:11 PM   #15

If your owners manual is like mine, it still refers to dumping antifreeze into the water tank and pumping it through the waterline from the tank. This is the process that I have used for years. Our new 2016 trailer has the antifreeze port. First, you will need to turn a valve that will keep the pump from trying to suck from the empty water tank. Connect a short hose to the antifreeze port and put the other end into the antifreeze jug. Open one of the water valves and turn on the pump. When the water stream turns pink, turn it off and open the next valve. The nice thing about our MiniLite is that the water pump is located under the bathroom sunk in a cabinet that also has an access door from the outside making it very easy to get to the By-pass valve.
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarsMom2 View Post
If your owners manual is like mine, it still refers to dumping antifreeze into the water tank and pumping it through the waterline from the tank. This is the process that I have used for years. Our new 2016 trailer has the antifreeze port. First, you will need to turn a valve that will keep the pump from trying to suck from the empty water tank. Connect a short hose to the antifreeze port and put the other end into the antifreeze jug. Open one of the water valves and turn on the pump. When the water stream turns pink, turn it off and open the next valve. The nice thing about our MiniLite is that the water pump is located under the bathroom sunk in a cabinet that also has an access door from the outside making it very easy to get to the By-pass valve.
I appreciate your response the most because you specifically address the original question. I too have a 2016 Micro Lite with the external antifreeze port. Decals on the exterior wall near this port read "Close the valve to the tank. Open the valve to the inlet". My confusion has been around how you perform this specific set of winterizing steps. I have attached a couple of pictures of the valve I think you are refering to. I would like some specific feedback from others if the valve in the upper right of my photo is a "3-way" valve, and by changing the direction of this single valve, I am accomplishing both closing the valve to the FW tank and opening the valve to the antifreeze inlet. I am also wondering what you mean when you say "open one of the water valves". Do you mean a faucet? Does anyone have specific knowledge of the need to change the orientation of any other valve in the viscinity of the water pump?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151011_160201.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	91371   Click image for larger version

Name:	20151013_052334.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	91372  
2016 Micro Lite 25DKS (sold)
rmillermtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmillermtsu View Post
I appreciate your response the most because you specifically address the original question. I too have a 2016 Micro Lite with the external antifreeze port. Decals on the exterior wall near this port read "Close the valve to the tank. Open the valve to the inlet". My confusion has been around how you perform this specific set of winterizing steps. I have attached a couple of pictures of the valve I think you are refering to. I would like some specific feedback from others if the valve in the upper right of my photo is a "3-way" valve, and by changing the direction of this single valve, I am accomplishing both closing the valve to the FW tank and opening the valve to the antifreeze inlet. I am also wondering what you mean when you say "open one of the water valves". Do you mean a faucet? Does anyone have specific knowledge of the need to change the orientation of any other valve in the viscinity of the water pump?
Yes, the black handled valve in your pic is the 3-way. Turn it 90 degrees and it will isolate the FW tank from the pump and line up the AF connection to the pump. You'll need to open all the faucets one at a time to fill the lines with AF. If you leave them closed, the pump will fill the lines until the pressure rises, then shut off.

Old 10-13-2015, 09:47 PM   #18

I agree with rockfordroo's answer. It worked for me. The sticker on the outside by the port is confusing because it implies that there are two valves when I could find only one.
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, modifications, winterize