Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2013, 03:15 PM   #1

So yesterday I went to winterize our Shamrock 21s and I can't get the drain nut off the water heater.

There is no way to get a wrench in the space with all of the mechanicals in the way and I don't have a socket large enough to fit over the nut. Is there a special tool needed? Any advise will be appreciated.

Also I was unable to locate the low point drains for the hot and cold lines. The owners manual we got is to generic and I didn't see information on locating them. I found the fresh water tank drain inside the cabinet next to the front bunk. Where should I look for the line drains?

Thanks,
Dean
GroovyTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovyTimes View Post
So yesterday I went to winterize our Shamrock 21s and I can't get the drain nut off the water heater.

There is no way to get a wrench in the space with all of the mechanicals in the way and I don't have a socket large enough to fit over the nut. Is there a special tool needed? Any advise will be appreciated.

Also I was unable to locate the low point drains for the hot and cold lines. The owners manual we got is to generic and I didn't see information on locating them. I found the fresh water tank drain inside the cabinet next to the front bunk. Where should I look for the line drains?

Thanks,
Dean
You need a 1 1/16" socket can be 6 or 12 point. A 1/2" ratchet with 3-6" extension to clear your knukles. Plenty of pressue the first time, afterwards put back with light amount of teflon tape it will be much easier.
The drains should be close to your water heater access cover or your pump if you know where that is. Sometimes there will be valves inside on piping leading through the floor, otherwise there will be caps or plugs outside.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #3

Perfect. Thanks so much. I'll pickup the socket and try again this weekend.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:23 PM   #4

if it is electric, i would trip the breaker that supplies it and maybe tape a label over it. u don't want it to accidentally be turned on if there is no water in the heater.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
Site Team

It would help if you posted the year.
Low point drains location can change year to year.
My '07 Roo 23SS's drains are under the sofa.
Crawl under the trailer and you should be able to locate them.
Mine are red and blue.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #6

It's a 2004. I crawled under it and didn't see a thing. Will try again and see if I can find them. We have only had the Shamrock for a couple months. It has been a bit of a learning curve from our popup.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #7
Site Team

you should see a couple of tubes sticking out of the bottom of the trailer. sometimes they are up against part of the frame.
they should be close together.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

On our Shamrock, the low point drains are almost directly below the HWH. They are close together and somewhat hidden by the lip of the wall where it bends in towards the frame.. Hard to describe and I'll see if I can post a pic for you.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #9

Thanks Triguy. I'll give that a look.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I couldn't find the picture that I knew I took of these but you should be able to see them. That is, if they are in the same area on your trailer as they are on mine. Different years, etc...

Good luck.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expandable, hybrid, shamrock