Old 04-30-2014, 01:01 AM   #11
When I purchased a new pop-up in 2005 we went straight to the campground, leaving the dealership late due to some last minute repairs that needed to be made. This was a major mistake, with too many follies to list.

When I picked up my new Roo this month, we camped at the dealership's lot the first night to make sure everything was in order. We found two small things that were quickly repaired by the staff the next morning without a drive back to the dealership. The first "real" camping was then the next weekend without any real surprises and could truly be enjoyed.

2014 F150 SCrew 4x4 Max Tow Heavy Duty Payload 3.5 Ecoboost 6.5' bed Ingot Metallic Silver
2015 Rockwood Roo 21SS
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:34 AM   #12
If the campground is that close go for it have fun.

2000 F250 Superduty CC LB 7.3 4x4
2013 344QB Wildcat
Nights camped 2014 ( 15)
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Firefighter969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:55 AM   #13
I bought a 30 Amp extension after a tight hook up at a state park, and have used it several times due to the position of the service. I like the one from Walmart, as it is very flexible. I also use it at home to cut down on the voltage drop when I connect to a 15 Amp service at home, which will run either the air conditioner or the TV/Fridge. I also run a small electric heater in winter to keep the temp inside above freezing.
MikeInRaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:31 AM   #14
Driveway camp. You'll find issues you missed during PDI that you can fix at home. Plus you can learn and play with it before you realize you are missing some key piece of equipment. Learn how to dump and fill, hook up, setup and tear down. Once you try it in the driveway you'll think of 5 things you didn't pack immediately the first time. We did all of the above and now don't have any worries about how things work or what we might have forgot.
2014 Roo 21DK
2015 F150
ChibullsAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #15
I vote for the driveway camp for a night. When you go to the campground, the family may want to do things there and you may want to stick around the trailer checking things out. May not make for a fun first time out with the new trailer if there is some arguing over what to do.

We just got our trailer mid season last year and only really got out in it once at a campground. But my son and I sure did a lot of driveway camping (almost every weekend). My wife stayed in the house, but we loved it. It was a lot of fun and we will do the same this year when not at campgrounds.

2013 F150 v8 4x4 Supercab
2014 Surveyor 192T
rycej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #16
Make a list of the things you think you need, then buy only a third of that, at most. Resist the temptation to buy/take everything. There no trailer big enough to do that. When you do buy stuff, consider multi-use items, and size/weight.

You're camping and don't need crystal and china. Goodwill or other thrift stores are a good place for cheap generic household items like plastic plates and cups. Some specialty camping items are worthwhile but you can accrue those over time as their utility becomes apparent.

Before you go any distance, practice replacing a flat tire on the trailer. Do that with your TT and TV fully loaded for camping and and hitched together. Use only the items that will be available to you on the road.

Consider what will happen if you have to do that on less than stable ground, e.g., a soft shoulder. Do you have a solid platform to for the jack to sit on?

Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL
Former pop-up owner
Hybrid owner wannabe
Chris Cowles, Gainesville, FL
- 2014 Shamrock 21DK
- 2005 Dodge Durango Hemi Limited 4x2
chriscowles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #17
Every time you camp, you'll figure out new items you need. Yes, get another 30amp extension, and make sure you have all sorts of adapters. Have good water hose, and a handy little 90 degree brass connector for keep hose from kinking and unnecessary pressure on plastic camper connector. Have leveling pads/blocks. Carry a camp shovel...for me digging a little hole for tires sometimes helps with leveling. Build a tool kit that stays in camper at all from garage sales, etc... And most important, always be prepared for road emergencies...for truck and trailer. Before pulling out, always check running lights and make sure your camper door is shut and locked!! Finally, make sure your table is stowed before operating your'll rip your floor...table legs dragging/pushing across tile.
Roocrew1 MI
2012 233S
2010 Expedition EL Limited 3:73 with Air Suspension
Roocrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #18
I've always needed an extension to my water hose more than I've ever needed an electrical extension.
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2007)
2012 Roo19 - hybid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #19
I usually use my extra extension to power stuff I plug in outside it to a heavy duty gang box I made.... I usually like to run my coffee pot outside, electric kettle for boiling water, and different stuff... I plug it straight to site electrical outlet..... And yes, and cheaper basic 20amp 12 gauge outdoor extension cable from home improvement store would be enough...mine is a little over kill.
Roocrew1 MI
2012 233S
2010 Expedition EL Limited 3:73 with Air Suspension
Roocrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #20
phat phrog stunt crew
If close, I say head to the campground. A little trial by fire will make wonderful stories later on, not so much when they are happening.

Sent from ny nook using fairly accurate digits.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote

233, 233s