Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #1

Your opinion please getting a new 233s

Hello fellow campers!!

my kids went camping last year and loved it so we said what the heck and purchased a 14 roo 233s (getting on may 16 -coming slow).

so my thinking is on 05/16 which is a friday we go and do the pdi in the morning-should I drive home leave it hooked up to the tahoe and load it up and go camping right away or pull it in the yard open it up and sleep in the back yard a night to get use to and take my time orgonizing things??

if you thing i should just go camping is there things i might need that doesn't come with camper? I have wheel chocks and I am ordering surge protect-will I need a 30 amp extension cord and adpaters? will the sew hose work good enough for now ?

man I got the bug.

p.s thanks to the vets here lots of great info and tips
Derekjpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #2

Going camping right away will really show you how much stuff you need and forgot to get. So, yes go camping...... but close to a restaurant and wallyworld

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome and congrats on your new Roo!

I think driveway camping for a night is a great way to acclimate to the camper and figure out what you will need (keep a list and go to Wall-mart the next day for much of it and/or order through Amazon or your dealer).

If you decide to go to a campground, make it close to your house and close to a Wall-mart as you will need something crucial.

You may not need an extension cord right away, but eventually will so I think that's a good purchase. Adapters depend on your campground but I carry a bunch and have used all of them at one time or another. Get a new sewer hose as the one they give you for free is not very good. Rinoflex works well.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:42 AM   #4

Camp in the yard! You'll have just as much fun that first night, and you can treat it like you really are away from home to figure out what you have & what you need. Plus you can't remember 100% of what they go through at the PDI, so you need some practice using all the systems and getting used to how everything works.

Even if there is nothing wrong with the trailer, its worth while to camp at home for a night first.

The 30 amp cord will come with it. On rare occassions, you may find the need for a longer cord. For sure, the freebie sewer hose they give you will be too short so that is probably worth an upgrade sooner rather than later.

Congrats!

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:52 AM   #5
Site Team

you didn't mention whether you have a WDH with sway control and a brake controller.
do you have them?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #6

yes I just put a p3 brake controller in and I am having the dealer install wdh- sway control.
The camp ground I was thinking is less than a hour from home and there is a wally world close by.
I will order a rhino hose and some stakes now.
my wife sayes relax take our time but I am ready to go.
thanks agian
p.s I work for a chevy dealer in service so if there is any questions I can help you with feel free.
Derekjpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #7

Do the yard/driveway for the first night, will give you time to pack without hurrying, get some levelers, extra fuses. Just type in things I might need first time camping in the search bar.. I'm sure it will direct you to other posts that may help what you need...have fun!!
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekjpapa View Post
Hello fellow campers!!

my kids went camping last year and loved it so we said what the heck and purchased a 14 roo 233s (getting on may 16 -coming slow).

so my thinking is on 05/16 which is a friday we go and do the pdi in the morning-should I drive home leave it hooked up to the tahoe and load it up and go camping right away or pull it in the yard open it up and sleep in the back yard a night to get use to and take my time orgonizing things??

if you thing i should just go camping is there things i might need that doesn't come with camper? I have wheel chocks and I am ordering surge protect-will I need a 30 amp extension cord and adpaters? will the sew hose work good enough for now ?

man I got the bug.

p.s thanks to the vets here lots of great info and tips
Congrats!! I know the "Hurry up and let's go camping" feeling!! I have it all year long! I just gets really bad about this time of the year because I have been cooped up all winter long!!

Camp in your driveway and make a list of all the things you find that you need. Make a "run" to the house to get the things that are available at your house and also to WW.

It is really fun to do this with the family because everyone finds things that they will remember and it helps when "really" going camping and loading up the camper. Keep this list going all year because as you get comfortable going camping you will no doubt find other things that you want to have with you!!

It also helps when getting ready and you have a check list to check off as you load!!

And above all........
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekjpapa View Post
yes I just put a p3 brake controller in and I am having the dealer install wdh- sway control.
The camp ground I was thinking is less than a hour from home and there is a wally world close by.
I will order a rhino hose and some stakes now.
my wife sayes relax take our time but I am ready to go.
thanks agian
p.s I work for a chevy dealer in service so if there is any questions I can help you with feel free.
The Dealer will usually have an area that is like a 'store'. Give yourself a little more time to stroll through this area. Have paper and pencil to give you ideas of what to get 'now' and what to get later. Fight the urge to buy one of everything.... (the urge will never go away...but fight it for now) 'better' awning lights, better towels and dishes, better lawn chairs, better 's'more makers, are always around the corner to pick up later.... get the bare basics of what you need on your first trip or two and add from there.

There is no way to learn better than to do it..... go 'slow'.... Never trust your 'spotter' when backing into a site, until they know what they are doing... (left is right and right is left and 'someone' anit paying attention...) Never trust the nut behind the wheel (you) until you know what you are truly doing...ie. take your time and be aware of what is around you and what your need will be ('trust but verify') when going into and out of camping spots. (my spotter is still in training after 30 years , she does a great job.. it is me that I don't trust....)Keep the kids in vehicle with you until 'parked'. Yes they want to help and they will in the Future.... dad does not need the stress of wondering where they are and paying attention of getting into your 'site'. It will be great, go slow and have fun.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #10

I can say we did our driveway and I'm glad we did. It gave me time to organize the camper like I wanted and make minor modification that I couldn't have done at a campsite. The following day we went to store to pickup items needed.
Have fun!!!!! And Congrats!!
ParrishCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:01 AM   #11

When I purchased a new pop-up in 2005 we went straight to the campground, leaving the dealership late due to some last minute repairs that needed to be made. This was a major mistake, with too many follies to list.

When I picked up my new Roo this month, we camped at the dealership's lot the first night to make sure everything was in order. We found two small things that were quickly repaired by the staff the next morning without a drive back to the dealership. The first "real" camping was then the next weekend without any real surprises and could truly be enjoyed.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:34 AM   #12

If the campground is that close go for it have fun.
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Firefighter969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 05:55 AM   #13

I bought a 30 Amp extension after a tight hook up at a state park, and have used it several times due to the position of the service. I like the one from Walmart, as it is very flexible. I also use it at home to cut down on the voltage drop when I connect to a 15 Amp service at home, which will run either the air conditioner or the TV/Fridge. I also run a small electric heater in winter to keep the temp inside above freezing.
MikeInRaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 07:31 AM   #14

Driveway camp. You'll find issues you missed during PDI that you can fix at home. Plus you can learn and play with it before you realize you are missing some key piece of equipment. Learn how to dump and fill, hook up, setup and tear down. Once you try it in the driveway you'll think of 5 things you didn't pack immediately the first time. We did all of the above and now don't have any worries about how things work or what we might have forgot.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #15

I vote for the driveway camp for a night. When you go to the campground, the family may want to do things there and you may want to stick around the trailer checking things out. May not make for a fun first time out with the new trailer if there is some arguing over what to do.

We just got our trailer mid season last year and only really got out in it once at a campground. But my son and I sure did a lot of driveway camping (almost every weekend). My wife stayed in the house, but we loved it. It was a lot of fun and we will do the same this year when not at campgrounds.

2013 F150 v8 4x4 Supercab
2014 Surveyor 192T
rycej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:42 AM   #16

Make a list of the things you think you need, then buy only a third of that, at most. Resist the temptation to buy/take everything. There no trailer big enough to do that. When you do buy stuff, consider multi-use items, and size/weight.

You're camping and don't need crystal and china. Goodwill or other thrift stores are a good place for cheap generic household items like plastic plates and cups. Some specialty camping items are worthwhile but you can accrue those over time as their utility becomes apparent.

Before you go any distance, practice replacing a flat tire on the trailer. Do that with your TT and TV fully loaded for camping and and hitched together. Use only the items that will be available to you on the road.

Consider what will happen if you have to do that on less than stable ground, e.g., a soft shoulder. Do you have a solid platform to for the jack to sit on?

Chris Cowles
Gainesville, FL
Former pop-up owner
Hybrid owner wannabe

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:05 AM   #17

Every time you camp, you'll figure out new items you need. Yes, get another 30amp extension, and make sure you have all sorts of adapters. Have good water hose, and a handy little 90 degree brass connector for it...to keep hose from kinking and unnecessary pressure on plastic camper connector. Have leveling pads/blocks. Carry a camp shovel...for me digging a little hole for tires sometimes helps with leveling. Build a tool kit that stays in camper at all times...tools from garage sales, etc... And most important, always be prepared for road emergencies...for truck and trailer. Before pulling out, always check running lights and make sure your camper door is shut and locked!! Finally, make sure your table is stowed before operating your slide...you'll rip your floor...table legs dragging/pushing across tile.
2010 Expedition EL Limited 3:73 with Air Suspension
Roocrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #18

I've always needed an extension to my water hose more than I've ever needed an electrical extension.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:23 PM   #19

I usually use my extra extension to power stuff I plug in outside camper...run it to a heavy duty gang box I made.... I usually like to run my coffee pot outside, electric kettle for boiling water, and different stuff... I plug it straight to site electrical outlet..... And yes, and cheaper basic 20amp 12 gauge outdoor extension cable from home improvement store would be enough...mine is a little over kill.
2010 Expedition EL Limited 3:73 with Air Suspension
Roocrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 09:52 PM   #20
phat phrog stunt crew

If close, I say head to the campground. A little trial by fire will make wonderful stories later on, not so much when they are happening.

Tags
233, 233s