Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
THE NEW GUY

Question 1st time out.

were very excited taking the new toy out this weekend for our first trip.
I have had it in the driveway plugged in , ran fridge, stove works all lights work. even ran furnace all ok. What i'm wondering is if i should hook up the city water to my hose and see if there are any leaks. The dealer filled up the fresh water tank, i guess to check the fixtures & toilet. The gray tank is about 1/3 full. I have not run the a/c yet i didn't think the power supply was enough 15 amp. just wondering if there are other things i should check like water heater. Oh ya the dealer did not put in my water filter for me , i see were it goes i guess i should install that before i hook up city water. Thanks for any input
rvgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #2

You can probably run your AC with the TT plugged into your house outlet as long as teh rest of het goodies are turned off.

Our AC runs great plugged into the house but when we turn on refrig or microwave other high AMP draws then the Circuit breaker will trip on our house circuit.

Are you going to be dry camping and needing to have your fresh water tank filled? this is alot of wxtra weight to haul around. water is heavy!

We use a water filter that connects to the hose at the site hook up. Do you have a water pressure regulater to use on your city water hook up? you may want to invest in one so you do not create any problems with your TT plumbing.

Have Fun!
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
THE NEW GUY

Re: 1st time out

Yes i do have a regulator, so u think i should dump fresh water tank? I guess i could test the water pump before i dump it make sure it works.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:53 PM   #4

if your goin to use city water, dump the frash water tank. saves alot of Fuel, you can test your pump and also wouldnt be a problem to empty your gray water into the yard, since you have a new rig and it shouldnt be durty

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
THE NEW GUY

Thanks for the good advise, this forum is great
Old 09-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
Nights Camped in 2010 - 2

RVGOLER...... Make sure you check out your Entertainment System as well. Check your water pipe fittings during your outting. I found several that were finger tight. The city water flush for my black water tank leaked. The fitting was behind a door that was screwed shut. I opened everything and checked it out. Had I left the cabinet shut and flushed my tank, I would have flooded the trailer. Expect what you inspect with your TT. We love ours and hope you have a great first outting. Enjoy......
Nights Camped 2010 = 18
Nights Camped 2011 = 15
sailingsuppo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
THE NEW GUY

Thanks george, great advise! I see you live frederick, maybe i will see you on 70 one day.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
The Old Man

I would definitely recommend hooking up the city water supply and testing for leaks. The ideal situation if you have the right equipment or have a plumber friend is to hook up a pressure gauge and leave it for a few hours to see if there is a pressure drop. The dealer should do that but doubtful unless you insist on it at the time of delivery. Those guys in the factory get in too much of a hurry sometimes and if it was close to quittin' time when they did your plumbing...well...

As for water in the fresh water tank, I'd recommend leaving at least 5-10 gallons to use while on the road for flushing the commode, washing hands, etc. That much extra weight will make little difference and having water sure is convenient.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #9

All good advise given above. Mine is for the road, just take it easy & get the feel for your new toy & good luck. Enjoy
Old 09-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #10

Y'all have a good time and let us know how it goes.

Post pics of your trip.

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #11
Nights Camped in 2010 - 2

I do live in Frederick. Heading to Harrisonburg this weekend. Will most likely see you on the road. Enjoy your outting and let us know how it goes.
Nights Camped 2010 = 18
Nights Camped 2011 = 15
sailingsuppo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #12
THE NEW GUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingsuppo46 View Post
RVGOLER...... Make sure you check out your Entertainment System as well. Check your water pipe fittings during your outting. I found several that were finger tight. The city water flush for my black water tank leaked. The fitting was behind a door that was screwed shut. I opened everything and checked it out. Had I left the cabinet shut and flushed my tank, I would have flooded the trailer. Expect what you inspect with your TT. We love ours and hope you have a great first outting. Enjoy......
THANKS "SAILING" I DID CHECK OUT THE ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM TO FIND THE SUB WOOFER CONNECTION WAS LOSE AND THAT WAS BEHIND A DOOR THAT WAS SCREWED SHUT AND YOU CALLED IT MY FLUSH CONNECTION WAS BACK THERE TOO AND IT WAS ONLY FINGER TIGHT. THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A BAD SEEN. THANKS AGAIN.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #13

I would hook up the hose before you head out. My check valve had a major leak and would have not been fun to discover at the campground. I also found 4 other leaks from loose fittings.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:47 AM   #14
THE NEW GUY

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by backin15 View Post
i would hook up the hose before you head out. My check valve had a major leak and would have not been fun to discover at the campground. I also found 4 other leaks from loose fittings.
i had the same problem with mine , glad i had the wife watch it while i turned the hose on to flush the tank. Cheap parts kill me.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #15

i would run with some fresh water in the tank as well. in the past (pre 2004). i ran dry. we pulled into a campground in nebraska, went to eat, when we got back, they had lost the well. first and only time i stayed in a full hook up campsite that didn't have water. first time i have stayed in any campground without water.
i've never noticed any change in my fuel usage from carrying fresh water or some water in the waste tanks. when i added a heat pump to the front, didn't see anything there from the additional drag. i weigh 11000 (maybe a little more) dry. that may be one of those things that u know should affect milage and can calculate potential extra fuel usage, but can't actually see it in practice. apparently if is is a very small part of the total weight or wind drag, it isn't noticable.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #16

I have to agree with Jimh. Even if we are going to have hookups we still carry around 1/4 tank of water. My wife uses the bathroom while we are on the road but more than that we just returned from a weekend where we expected to have water hookups, when we arrived at the state park there was a notice at the pay station that the well and water system had tested positive for Ecoli and to boil any water you intended to drink or use bottled water. Thankfully we had some bottled water left over in a side compartment and some water in our tank. We never run completely dry.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote