Old 09-14-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
South Central Texas

2006 Forest River Surveyor Question

I bought this trailer NEW - at the end of May.
I have had trouble with it since day one.
The fact is that is has been in the shop for almost 70 of 120 days I have had it. Everything on it has broken at least once, it seems.
The entire bottom of it was rusted and needed repainting, the awning broke, The sway control broke the ER brake control because it was installed wrong, Both doors have had trouble in more than one way - EACH! It leaked like a sieve in two placves. The shower leaked. The carpet was torn. The wallpaper had tears. The faucets broke. The Electrical Converterer Box caught fire... I know, all of you are probably laughing your heads off. I have had rotten luck - yes! But, our dealer has fixed MOST of these problems... I want to know if anyone else has had these kinds of problems and if I should do anything more than just bitch to high heaven to the dealer (and manufacturer - who has had to weigh in several times!)

Help ME!

Old 09-14-2007, 11:30 PM   #2
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Wow! That really does suck! I've only had a couple minor issues with the new FR Salem in it's first season. Why did the converter catch on fire???

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:44 AM   #3

that is some rotten luck

Keep on the dealer and FR until things are fixed to your satisfaction.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:58 AM   #4
RAC

I am actually wondering if this guy is serious.......

The carpet had tears and the wallpaper too?

Did you do a PDI?
Old 09-17-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
South Central Texas

Yes - I am serious...

First. Yes, we did a PDI. And yes, ALL of these were noted, however, when it came time to fixing them, the dealer got amnesia all of the sudden and did not want to replace the things they had said would be replaced, but wanted to repair them (i.e. carpet, etc.). Forest River Warranty weighed in, and finally all was replaced as originally promised.

Second. The Converter caught fire to faulty wiring, poor installation, and just plain cruddy "give-a-crap" factor during maunfacture. As a result of lose connections, some of the wires crossed other wires, shorted out, got extremely hot, melted the insulation, and finally caught fire. Fortunately for me, I was there at the time. I saw the thing catch fire, because I was investigating the burning plastic smell, and as soon as I removed the cover, the oxygen rush to everything caused a burst in flame. I was right there, so I simply unplugged everything, put the fire out (it was just a small flame), and hauled it in immediately to an Authorized Warranty Repair Center - after I called it in of course. BTW, this was the first trip I had taken in the trailer - period... I was 350 miles from home... Once I returned home, I took it in to the dealer, and more denial, refusal to replace, etc. etc.... ARGH!
Old 09-17-2007, 11:13 AM   #6
RAC

wow....what a nightmare. Sounds like the biggest problem is the dealer. I bet a nice letter to Forest River detailing the dealer's lack of customer service would do the trick. At least it would bring the problem to the attention of a corporate guy.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:07 PM   #7
South Central Texas

Wait'll you read this...

If you thought the story you had read, so far, was a nightmare....

I have already written the entire thing down and sent it to the "Surveyor Warranty Manager" at FR. She knows the history.

Now get this.... While it was at the dealer getting everything taken care of the last time (it was there for over 6 weeks), it was hit. Yes, that's right... It was crashed into by someone driving through the parking lot. And the real crazy thing is that the folks at the dealership did NOT call me, or even attempt to notify me of the damage. My wife happened to be in the area and decided to check up on the repair progress and saw the damage that had been done first hand. Their "answer" was that they were fixing the damaged areas on the trailer so they didn't "see a need to worry us over it"...

Believe me, I am so angry about everything, I can barely keep from knoicking the crap out of the Manager there every time I have to go over there. He is the worst manager I have ever had to deal with in ANY industry. He tells me often that I shouldn't be so upset over anything because they are going to fix this, or fix that.... Meanwhile, my trailer has been in the shop for 70 out of the 120 days I have owned it...

Does anyone have a story even close to this one? I want to know that I am not the only one with these kinds of problems with their RV.... I want to know I am not being treated differently than any other RV owner. Maybe I am making a big deal out of nothing...? I hate having to raise hell just to get the things fixed which I have been promised would be fixed.... I just want to take the trailer and have a "normal" trip every once in a while.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:10 PM   #8
RAC

I aint never heard of anything like this. One or two minor problems, but nothing like this. wow....I am shaking my head.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:18 PM   #9

Not informing you that your property has been damaged??? That's unethical. RVs depreciate enough without having a “wreck” on the record. Major hell should be directed towards the dealer and keeping FR in the loop.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:22 PM   #10

All I can say is WOW

2002 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 L
gofast! is offline   Reply With Quote