Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2015, 03:33 PM   #1

2week trip to Fort Wilderness Campground

Well, it has been over six months since we took the plunge by purchasing our Solare 25bhss. We have made number of tune-up fall and winter camping trips. There have been a few surprises along the way and lessons learned. First, surprise, wife really loves to fish. She got her own fishing pole and reel for Christmas. We hooked into a couple of huge carp at a camp ground and she was hooked. Second surprise, leveling trailer is important to make sure the water from the shower runs down the drain and not the floor. Third surprise, dialing in a satellite dish is hard! Fouth and final surprise, kids do not mind being unplugged for a weekend or two. Our kids absolutely love going camping. The playground and scooting around is a massive hit.

In 4 days, we set out for our first big two week trip. We are staying at Fort Wilderness Campground for the Cochlear Implant Celebration in Walt Disney World. We have designated a couple of days for doing just campground stuff. For some of you more experienced with the Disney camp, a few questions.

1. Where is the best spots to fish for bass or fish in general at the campground?
2. What are some fun things to do at the campground?
3. Any advice for getting around what seems to be a massive campground?

Any other thoughts in general will be appreciated.
FreddieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:16 PM   #2

I recommend this site for any help planning at the Fort or Disneyworld.Fort Fiends
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #3
Always Learning

1) No idea. The Fort Fiends site will have good info that dblr posted.

2) Lots! Swimming, playgrounds, watching fireworks from the beahch, enjoying the shows (that cost money), horse/pony rides (presumably for a fee) or just checking them out.

3) Possibly renting a golf cart (there are a few offsite vendors but you have to go to them- but you save money on it), bikes, or using Disney's inner campground bus. It is supposedly a mile from the back of the campground to the front. So it is a good hoof between things.

We LOVE Disney and are frequent goers. We've only stayed at the fort for a single night. But we are scheduling a few nights come June.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:03 PM   #4

Just spent 3 days there, no car needed buses take you all over the park and to tall the theme parks. Golf cart costs $60.00 a day and only good for the campgrounds. Lots of things to do with kids and good restaurant for buffet breakfast and lunch and dinner.My partner and me were only interested in the theme parks
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 10:23 PM   #5

I second Fort Fiends. We'll be there in August and February.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:07 AM   #6

Ford Friends or DisBoards have lots and lots of information on FW. I spend 2 weeks every year there and love it.

Fishing wise I am not sure where, but there are lots of spots on Bay lake to fish I just dont know what you can catch as I have never done so.

There are tons of things to do around FW. Segway tours, hourse riding, there are bikes for rent, boats for rent, 2 pool areas (one central and one by the cabins.) Playgrounds all over, Mickeys backyard bbq, there is a campfire sign along with chip and dale, and a movie outside every night.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieMac View Post

For some of you more experienced with the Disney camp, a few questions.

1. Where is the best spots to fish for bass or fish in general at the campground?
2. What are some fun things to do at the campground?
3. Any advice for getting around what seems to be a massive campground?

Any other thoughts in general will be appreciated.
1) Bay lake - or any of the lagoons in the campground are great for fishing but it's all catch and release - or at least it was
2)EVERYTHING! Movie and smores at the Meadow Post area. Hoop Dee Doo Revue is fun but pricey but does include the meal. The off-road Segway is cool and a fun way to get behind the scenes of the park. So much more. Don't miss the light parade at the Bay Lake beach as well as the MK firework show. A neat show from FW.
3)Bikes but a rental golf cart (non-Disney is how we go) is for certain.

We love FW!!! We have our own 2 week trip planned in May/June and going again in November. They are getting pricey but it is an awesome campground!
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 01:57 PM   #8

Off Disney cart rentals have to be picked up off property now. Which can be a little tricky. I'm trying to work out how I'm going to check in and pick up my cart in August. Or just cancel and bring bikes.
Previously:
Old 01-30-2015, 02:04 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom View Post
Off Disney cart rentals have to be picked up off property now. Which can be a little tricky. I'm trying to work out how I'm going to check in and pick up my cart in August. Or just cancel and bring bikes.
I wonder if the company could bring them in if you were riding along and had your Magic Band/access with you. Surely they couldn't turn you away...

Though, it is very weird how all of the off-site rental stuff is so hush-hush. I guess it makes sense since it gives The Mouse insight into how folks are circumventing things.

With the right aged kids, I think the fort is perfectly bike-able.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:06 PM   #10

Nope, they have to picked up one mile away. :-/. I send you a PM
Previously:
Old 01-30-2015, 02:07 PM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom View Post
Nope, they have to picked up one mile away. :-/. I send you a PM
I wonder if 1 mile away is officially off WDW property. I feel like the Fort is near the edge...
Old 01-30-2015, 02:12 PM   #12

It is. I PM'ed you.
Previously:
Old 01-30-2015, 02:13 PM   #13

I need a 6 person cart and FW only has a couple and since I can't reserve one, I need a different option, so off property rental is that option.
Previously:
Old 01-30-2015, 02:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post

With the right aged kids, I think the fort is perfectly bike-able.
You kidding?? Fort Wilderness is very bike friendly. Just a lot of terrain to cover.

On golf carts, Tee Time Carts works well for having on-site if they have repeated rents (the cart doesn't leave, it just gets handed off to the next renter).
Disney doesn't care where you get the cart from. They do care about the liability. For instance, your outside provider rented golf cart breaks and you wag your finger at Disney for allowing such an operation onto their property.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:17 PM   #15

Disney offers guided fishing trips onsite. Seems to get good reviews and the guides will do as much or as little as you want. In other words, if you want to bait your own hook and take the fish off the hook, you can. If not, they will do it all for you.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/recreation/fishing/

Enjoy!

2019 Surveyor 251RKS
2008 Ford Expedition EL
DK-in-SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
You kidding?? Fort Wilderness is very bike friendly. Just a lot of terrain to cover.

On golf carts, Tee Time Carts works well for having on-site if they have repeated rents (the cart doesn't leave, it just gets handed off to the next renter).
Disney doesn't care where you get the cart from. They do care about the liability. For instance, your outside provider rented golf cart breaks and you wag your finger at Disney for allowing such an operation onto their property.
I just talked to Tee Time last week or the week before.
Previously:
Old 01-30-2015, 02:27 PM   #17

Tee Time will tell you off-site pickup. I've been told the same but Tony with Tee Time told me hoe it works (a golf cart coming off of rent when you are starting - then it's just a hand -off).
You situation might be different for the 6 passenger cart versus the standard 4 passenger. Sometime is also a higher rent time for them so likely to have more carts on-site.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:30 PM   #18

I do not think Kenny @ Tee Time has any 6 seaters
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #19

I have one reserved.
Previously:
Old 01-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #20

Its a little more then a mile away, but it is a non gated/open parking area. It does not take up a lot of time.

We bring our own carts when multiple families go, since moving to the 5th wheel I have not gone to Disney without them. But I would likely just call Kenny to arrange since its 4 people and the cart is a matter of convience over the bus system when trying to herd the cats.
jbrostek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mpg