Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 08:44 PM   #91

I mentioned one of the reasons the dually was the only truck I could not wait to get rid of was because I always had to park in the back 40 everywhere. Actually, that was the #1reason. The other was with the dually in the garage anything but a Prius would fit and then one would need to walk sideways at the rear wheels. My wife was NOT going to park outside so that meant the dually was out and the driveway needed widened. Every time we look for a new 5er we check for a cushion on the dry pin weight and stay with a F350 SW

Old 06-29-2016, 09:06 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDually View Post
Strange no one mentioned a couple of the cons of owning a diesel dually...

They are a real PIA in parking lots especially a long box...

Not the best for a daily driver...

The good points have already been said... Pass the popcorn!
I have a long bed, 4x4, SRW, Ram Cummins. Yes it can be a pain to park. I have to park at the back of the lot but, I would have done that anyway with ANY new truck.

I don't use it as a daily driver. With that said, when I do run around town, it gets great milage (16.5-17.5MPG) and is very comfortable to drive. Visibility is great! You sit HIGH and can see around/over most traffic. It does ride better with a load but, the empty ride is not objectionable. If it were, my wife would be the first to complain. She LOVES the visibility and likes driving it as much as I do.

The only other bad point that I can concede is that they are expensive.

I do feel that the benefits outweigh all negatives.

More popcorn and pass the beer!

Old 07-06-2016, 11:32 PM   #93

Rocky Mountains

Just got back home a couple of hours ago from a 21 day trip to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico from Ft. Worth area. Went through 7 mountain passes in my motorhome (I know, apples and oranges compared to a pickup). I have the Ford V10 gasoline engine . . . as soon as I can trade it in and not take the "new vehicle" bath, getting me a diesel ! ! Traded down from a Phaton diesel pusher, and never had issues getting up those hills ! !
Old 07-11-2016, 08:32 PM   #94

How do diesels handle short trips, like 5 or 10 minutes... then shutdown... on a daily basis?

What does a HPFP failure cost?

These are things that turned me away from a diesel. That, and a $8k premium in truck price.

I got 250k miles out of my last gasser. Worst case, you can buy a whole new gasser engine for the cost of a minor diesel repair.

Everyone know the diesels are awesome torque machines. Nobody says differently. What the diesel crowd doesn't understand is:

1. Situations vary for everyone.
2. The cost increases for a diesel is significant
3. Gas engines are quite capable

I love the "you'll get your money back when you sell" argument. Lots of financial holes there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #95

3/4 ton gas vs diesel. Pros and cons

I got double the mpg going from gas to diesel.
Good enough for me.

I short trip it, idle it, yadda yadda.

Yup. Hpfp are expensive. So are timing chains on gassers.

Pick your poison.
Two ways to pay for a truck.
Payments or repair bills.
I'll take the payments, and never have a repair bill.
That's what warranty is for.
When warranty is up, I'll get another truck. Easy.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 07-11-2016, 08:46 PM   #96

I drive it hard, put away wet.

It was glorious pulling my sabre though northern Ontario this weekend. Never go back to gas.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 07-11-2016, 09:37 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
How do diesels handle short trips, like 5 or 10 minutes... then shutdown... on a daily basis?

What does a HPFP failure cost?

These are things that turned me away from a diesel. That, and a $8k premium in truck price.

I got 250k miles out of my last gasser. Worst case, you can buy a whole new gasser engine for the cost of a minor diesel repair.

Everyone know the diesels are awesome torque machines. Nobody says differently. What the diesel crowd doesn't understand is:

1. Situations vary for everyone.
2. The cost increases for a diesel is significant
3. Gas engines are quite capable

I love the "you'll get your money back when you sell" argument. Lots of financial holes there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HPFP failures, from the best of my knowledge are more a Duramax and Powerstroke issue... this CP4 equipped machines are expensive repairs if needed. These CP4s, when they fail, send metal shards thru the entire system, requiring replacement of rails, lines, and injectors... from different forums it's a 10k repair.

The Cummins still run a much more reliable CP3 unit. Repairs on them are not that expensive. I can buy a new one for under a grand.

SOLD - 2012 Salem Cruise Lite 281BHXL
SOLD - 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins
Old 07-11-2016, 09:55 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorthorn View Post
HPFP failures, from the best of my knowledge are more a Duramax and Powerstroke issue... this CP4 equipped machines are expensive repairs if needed. These CP4s, when they fail, send metal shards thru the entire system, requiring replacement of rails, lines, and injectors... from different forums it's a 10k repair.

The Cummins still run a much more reliable CP3 unit. Repairs on them are not that expensive. I can buy a new one for under a grand.
Duramax ran cp3 until 2011. Another reason I hang on to my 2007. I still have folks offering to buy it wherever we go.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
Old 07-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
X 200. At least 90% of the gasser fans wish they had a diesel but make excuses to make themselves feel better.
I own two Chevy 3500s - one gas and one diesel. Even before my current gasser I owned one of each. There are many reasons I prefer to drive the gas over the diesel.

Bruce
Old 07-12-2016, 09:02 AM   #100

Maybe they should compare gassers with boosted engines same as diesel with boosted engines. Also compare Horse power and torque specs that are "equal".
My 2012 diesel has 360 hp- 800lbs torque with turbo and no emission deleted,( bone stock). With a little messing around I can bring the torque well over 1200lbs and around 600 hp. Always can buy a 6.7 re-sleeved to a 5.9 with double walled thick and triple boost, 2500lbs of torque not out of the question.
We have no emission testing here.
Now compare that to an gas engine, (a crate motor)BluePrint Pro Series Chevy 632 c.i.d. crate engines make an impressive 815 hp. This is before boosting. A typical over the counter motor.
Add a little to boosting and methanol injection on both and we can enter the Pikes Peak Hill climb.
I like what Banks did to the diesels for the climbs and drags.
Sorry just got carried away.
What was the question?

Tags
diesel, gas