Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 03:47 PM   #111
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Here's an example of my POV on the uselessness of even asking this question. This post doesn't even address the subject: "3/4 ton gas vs diesel. Pro & Cons." It's just a "hey, look what I'VE got!"
After 13 pages I'm not sure how many new Pros OR Cons that are left!!!
But I do agree with you!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
Old 07-12-2016, 04:14 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1942 View Post
2011, 2500 Chevy 4X4 pickup, Extended Cab, standard box with 3.73 axle ratio, equipped with a LML duramax engine and Allison trany. is rated to tow a max trailer wt. of 17,200 lbs with a GCRW of 24,500 lbs
That may be what the brochures say and that may be what your truck is capable of. Tell us all what your payload is as stated on the yellow sticker on your driver's side door pillar. After you realize how you are lacking here, you will see how the numbers you quoted just won't work for an RV.

Bruce

Old 07-12-2016, 05:49 PM   #113

Somebody on here mentioned not letting a diesel sit??? I'm getting close to buying a Ford one ton so I can pay it off before retirement, but it will not be a daily driver. I have my Jeep LJ that I love to drive so it will only leave the yard on weekends or when it's raining out. In a couple years I can retire and do a lot more traveling and it will still be fresh. I do haul heavy trailers and 5th wheel a out once a month but no more than 4 hrs away. I LOVE the way a 1 ton diesel pulls a load and that's all I needed to make up my mind.
So question is will it hurt it sitting in my garage for a week at a time?
Old 07-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplewon View Post

The mechanic had the exhaust manifold off a 2015 cummins dually. Told me if I was going to get it to use it would make a good truck. No tranny or engine problems. Said it was a good truck but he then said if I was getting it as a grocery getter not to buy it, buy a gas. He said the owner of the 2015 he was working on bought it new and was only using it as a grocery getter and now the owner has voided the warranty and it is costing 5000 for this work which is pulling the entire exhaust system off the truck and cleaning carbon from it. He said after he gets it all off he will inspect the valves which will raise the price on a non warranty valve job but to early to tell.
I call BS on this. So, Dodge voids his warranty because he DIDN"T work his truck hard enough? Is there a warranty disclaimer that says how you are supposed to drive that truck to maintain a warranty?
That's like them telling me I have to take my 707HP Hellcat to the strip every Friday and thrash it to red line repeatedly to maintain my warranty?

C'mon.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:33 PM   #115

14 pages and we're way off track. I vote close this thread!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 07-12-2016, 09:04 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
Somebody on here mentioned not letting a diesel sit??? I'm getting close to buying a Ford one ton so I can pay it off before retirement, but it will not be a daily driver. I have my Jeep LJ that I love to drive so it will only leave the yard on weekends or when it's raining out. In a couple years I can retire and do a lot more traveling and it will still be fresh. I do haul heavy trailers and 5th wheel a out once a month but no more than 4 hrs away. I LOVE the way a 1 ton diesel pulls a load and that's all I needed to make up my mind.
So question is will it hurt it sitting in my garage for a week at a time?
No, it can sit just don't only take it on short trips where it doesn't get fully warmed up. The glow plugs are hard on the batteries and they need to charge. The turbo veins can get rusty if not used, that means drive it like you stole it OR tow with it, diesels like to work.
Nights Camped 2016 27

Old 07-12-2016, 10:11 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
I call BS on this. So, Dodge voids his warranty because he DIDN"T work his truck hard enough? Is there a warranty disclaimer that says how you are supposed to drive that truck to maintain a warranty?
That's like them telling me I have to take my 707HP Hellcat to the strip every Friday and thrash it to red line repeatedly to maintain my warranty?

C'mon.
Dodge looks at hours vs milage and number of starts if the numbers don't match up they reserve the right to void warenty
Old 07-12-2016, 11:03 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
I wasn't going to be the first to call that one!

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
I agree it's bs. But right out of the mouth of the mechanic working on the truck. I've no idea if the guy was correct or not. He had no need to feed me false information. I do know the truck will log a check engine light and if it is ignored it can void the warranty. He also said if I did not tow heavy loads with it I would have to take it out and open it up and blow it out weekly else it will loose power over time with the build up.

I managed a trucking company for years. We used mercedes engines in fords. Sterling. Never had an issue with the engines, only transmissions and ac compressors and the interiors quickly ruin with the fuel from dirty hands. Had 3 new ones in 2005, one had over 3 million in just a few years.
They were used for city delivery and pickups then over the road nights.
2014 Jeep SRT...did not trade
Old 07-12-2016, 11:48 PM   #119
CANADA FROG RALLY 2017

Back on track,

Real Post. I had a gas and even with what has happened will not go back.

My 2015 Superduty F 250 6.7 Liter Diesel is sick. There is a hard knocking sound on Regen after the Exhaust display on the cluster. Happens 10 to 20 seconds after the warning goes out. The left side of the engine dumps fuel to get temps up to clean the system.
March 28 a TSB was issued and they flash the computer to turn on both sides. If you have a 14/15/16 get it checked and flashed.

Next week they pull my cab and replace all exhaust valves on the left side.

My truck has always run 30 minute trips twice day and rarely ran a Regen, When towing it never regains so it must be hot enough to burn the particulate up and clean the filter.

Under warranty, 100 percent covered. Just a real life issue. This not a recall but a bulletin for owners. Many a discussion on the Ford Trick Enthusiast Forum. ford-trucks.com

Brian
2016 Ford F 350 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab FX4
2008 Golden Falcon 380PA Park Model Model

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
Old 07-13-2016, 12:31 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
X 200. At least 90% of the gasser fans wish they had a diesel but make excuses to make themselves feel better.
Diesels stink and make a lot of noise. I have had a lot of them. Three boats, two cars and four diesels pusher RV's. I went back to gas and glad I did. Not many diesel repair shops that are certified when traveling across the country for service or repair. There is a Ford or Chevy dealer in almost every town.

Jack

Tags
diesel, gas