Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 06:32 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Down View Post
Only $2K more for a diesel at the Ford dealer?

Sorry pal, more like $8K to $10K? I know, I just bought a new gasser.

Got the 6.2L F250. On the flat with very little wind, I have to fight to keep it below 75 mph. Yeah it feels a grade and a stiff wind is noticeable but overall I can't complain. I'm not towing full time. I noticed one guy on here had the same truck with the Ride Right Air Leveling System. Anybody got intel on any after market products that improve towing or ride comfort, give me a shout. I'm good with most things about my truck except for the ride. I've ridden moto- cross that was smoother than this truck sometimes.

I'm towing a Flagstaff 27 BEWS Super Lite. Which by the way is a much nicer trailer when the propane bottle stay on board. But that's another story.

RMc

I live in Canada Pal! Check my signature. Things are different up here. Kenny Kustom got his Cummins for no increase in cost. My Ford dealers buys 1 gasser to 50 Diesels. Volume speaks in pricing.

"Oh Canada,True North Strong and Free!"
Old 06-28-2016, 06:36 PM   #72

3/4 ton gas vs diesel. Pros and cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Same here. Plus, in the winter, I like getting into a warm truck.

Bruce

I do not have an issue with a cold Diesel truck. There is a electric heater that warms up just fine and seat heaters is no problem either.
Have remote start. As I leave the house and by the time I brush a slight dusting of snow it is warm enough for me.

In the Summer like yesterday AC in the seats are Kool as a Cucumber in Autumn!

Old 06-28-2016, 06:51 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
Yep. 3,295 payload on my F250 gasser.

And 3747 payload on my 3500 cummins.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 06-28-2016, 06:52 PM   #74

3/4 ton gas vs diesel. Pros and cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I do not have an issue with a cold Diesel truck. There is a electric heater that warms up just fine and seat heaters is no problem either.
Have remote start. As I leave the house and by the time I brush a slight dusting of snow it is warm enough for me.

X2.

Remote start.
Heated seats and steering wheel.
What's the problem?

Lucky ducky, if you have the vent seats.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 06-28-2016, 07:00 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post

"It is warm enough for me" you say, as you drive the first ten miles wearing your coat and gloves.

I own a 1 ton diesel -- it's what I use for work and plowing snow. I know the difference in climate comfort between it and my 1 ton gas truck in the winter. Some diesel trucks may have auxiliary electric heaters, but they sure don't warm up the truck as well as the engine of a gas truck. My friend owns a loaded 2014 F-350 diesel and it doesn't have an electric heater. He hates getting into that thing in the winter.

Bruce
Old 06-28-2016, 07:23 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
"It is warm enough for me" you say, as you drive the first ten miles wearing your coat and gloves.

I own a 1 ton diesel -- it's what I use for work and plowing snow. I know the difference in climate comfort between it and my 1 ton gas truck in the winter. Some diesel trucks may have auxiliary electric heaters, but they sure don't warm up the truck as well as the engine of a gas truck. My friend owns a loaded 2014 F-350 diesel and it doesn't have an electric heater. He hates getting into that thing in the winter.

Bruce
Sadly they did not order the heater option. It works just fine. I travel 18 km one way to work by the time I get half way there the engine is warming up.. Honestly The difference between the Diesel and the 12 Gas Pick Ups I owned for he first 10 minutes of travel there is none. I never take my jacket off and wear boots too! Thats what you do in the winter. Kenny Kuston has it is as cold as Arctic where he lives, I am sure his old V 10 heated up faster but that costs in towing performance.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:26 PM   #77

I have both. 2013 F350 6.2. 2015 F350 6.7.

Pulling my landscape equipment around town, I much prefer the 6.2. Pulling campers on trips, hands down the 6.7.

That being said, pulling lesser loads or very short, local trips, I'd recommend the gas. But when the weights increase and/or you're on the interstates a lot, get a diesel.

Former Forest River Campers:
2004 Puma 30FQSS
2010 Sabre 31QBDS
2014 Work & Play 30WRS
Old 06-28-2016, 07:35 PM   #78

I think it's time to shut this thread down. It's clearly going in circles.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 06-28-2016, 07:42 PM   #79

We upgraded to a diesel Chevy Silverado 2500 HD in 2008, at the beginning of the great recession. Truck sales in Southern California were in the toilet! The dealership where we bought had 56 trucks in stock the entire month of August, and ours was the only one they sold that entire month!! We got a great deal on a truck that retailed for $56K, and drove of for about $30K!!

Mileage pulling a trailer more than doubled compared to our 460 cu. in. Ford Club Wagon gas V-8. The six-speed Allison transmission is the class of the field. We opted for Onstar, and Sirius/XM satellite radio, and believe each is worth every penny. We considered a 1-ton dually, but it road like the proverbial "buck-board" when empty.

We have almost 80K miles on the truck now, and it pulls our new 13,000 pound fifth-wheel as if it isn't even there. We can climb the 16% grade up the hill to Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey without even breathing hard.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:39 PM   #80

Been there Done That. Do you you want to go everywhere flat on the floor or do you want to go like there is no trailer behind you? That is the difference between gas and diesel,yes a diesel casts more but if you ever had one you will never go back.The secret to milage is the rear end gear ratio.I get 11 plus pulling my 13000 lb fifth wheel with 6.7 ford and 3.55 gears.That combo will let you lagh at mountains and the exhaust brake saves your brakes.Get a one ton, the suspension is better,if you get a Ford you also want tow and camper packs.

Tags
diesel, gas