Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 12:35 AM   #81

I've towed with everything beginning in 1974 with a new Plymouth Fury. That CAR would out tow many 1/2 ton trucks safely today. Full size Blazers and Ram Chargers are on the list. 3/4 ton gas and diesel trucks were next. Once a diesel could never return to gas. Have had them all and will not bad mouth any,,, but I prefer an F350 over all others.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:40 AM   #82

I had a gas 99 silverado and pulled my 27hfs with it, I hated every minute of it. When I upgraded the truck, I looked for a 2500/F250 but in the end I went with a 2014 RAM 3500 (about a year old when I purchased it), with the 6.7 cummins, the price was actually cheaper than a 2500/250 series truck. Unfortunately, my DW was like lets get a bigger camper, so we did (I lost that battle). oh well, when momma bunny not happy, no bunny happy.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #83

Pros and cons... Yes there are.
WW

A Modder's work is never done!
Old 06-29-2016, 01:05 PM   #84

yay popcorn!

Okay my 2 cents which is worth less in the US...but more in Britain!

I recently traded in my Chev 2500HD 6.0 gas which was my second 6.0 gas in 8 years. When I picked up my second one I looked long and hard at the diesel options and there were a lot of changes happening with the pollution control on new trucks and pricing was a little outrageous.

Skip ahead, I wish I would have gotten the diesel 4 years ago but that is neither here or there now since I have a great new truck.

I haul my trailer in the summer and have more truck than I need. Going from a 2500 GM to a 3500 Ram has been a nice change. People complain about the rough ride of 3500's, well those GM IFS torsion bar front ends aren't much better unless you spend some money on them. Again not gas vs diesel related but half of the info in here is comparing payloads and towing capacity.

The diesel vs gas for me...

1 -Rebates and no charge diesels, they are still charging of course, just hidden in the vehicle cost but GM and Ford both couldn't come close to the Dodge pricing for a Cummins equipped truck.

2 - Maintenance, which I typically do my own, and at 5000 mile oil change intervals (8000km for me) vs Ram's 15000 mile (24000km) or 6 months its just about even over 5 years. Speaking of maintenance, I opted for the 5 year comprehensive warranty vs the 3 and they include 13 oil changes. Its a cost up front but I have my general service covered for the next 5 years. Everything else on the truck is pretty close to even minus the fuel filters.

3 - Towing and daily driver, sure it gets cold in Canada, sure the diesel takes longer to warm up but its Canada, if I was temperature intolerant I wouldn't live in Canada. Multiple pairs of gloves already lived in my center console.

With towing, I live in the West, towing in mountains is regular for me. When we went to a slightly larger TT the wind resistance and added weight killed my fuel economy at 30L/100KM average in the hills. (less than 8mpg) My daily driving was average 20L/100km, I am now at 15L/100km and towing a respectable 18L/100km. I wasn't going to mention fuel economy because everyone has a little margin of error in there.

4 - payload, due to the weight of the diesel I did have to go to a 3500. A 2500 with a sled deck and two sleds in the winter is pushing the "legal" factor too far for my comfort.

5 - fuel costs, on a 5 year average for my area I found a %10 less cost at the pump searching various sources (gas tips, gas buddy, stats canada) for diesel vs gas. So with up to %10 better economy and %10 savings at the pump I could see %20 less money coming out per tank of fuel for mixed daily and towing/hauling.

6 - life span, diesels running less than 3000rpm do typically have a longer service life than a gas running over 3500rpm. My 6.0's have been screamers in the mountain passes. They really power out on the big climbs where the diesel just chugs along. Yes when something fails on a diesel it is usually big money though.

7 - just pure enjoyment. It is a luxury for me to afford this truck but it leaves a smile on my face (so far) I had huge sticker shock when I started this journey but luckily was able to get on a fleet program. Everyone's situation is different and you can only look at everyones suggestions then weigh all of that based on you and your needs/wants.

Enjoy
Old 06-29-2016, 01:22 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Ok your so towing 7200# and do one long trip and then the rest of year short trips. Can you justify $7900 diesel option when a 3/4 ton gas will do the job and will it be a daily driver? I tow 9000# tt with ease and I do about 6000 miles a year and have no issues. I can get 19mpg emty and average 9/12 towing. I have a 3/4 ton chevy 6.0 and 4:10 gear. Just remember the up keep cost also. Later RJD
?"a 3/4 ton gas WILL do the job"? Does this mean it will pull it?
"up keep"?

Mileage is better,Diesel is cheaper (southern CA) You change your oil probably 3x more often. So it could be a push. If a person no longer needs/wants a Diesel sell the truck (great resale value) buy a gasser and put all the extra cash in your pocket.
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
Old 06-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #86

I "upgraded" recently from a 1/2 ton to 3/4. I was just looking for suspension, weight and payload at the time. The engine was secondary as I don't tow often. Towing a 6800-7000lb loaded travel trailer. 300 miles per trip every couple months seems to be the norm, and we'll be doing one long trip a year.

I ended up with a Chevy 2500HD 6.0. I'd test driven two diesels. One, I really liked. That deal fell through or I'd have purchased it. The 6.0 I ended up with is overall a nicer truck(more options, 4wd, tow mirrors etc), but I won't soon forget how that diesel felt.

That being said, I've been really happy with this truck for what I do with it. Suspension, and weight are great compared with my 1/2 ton. Tows really nice. It could use more low end power of course, but when this engine revs, it's not intrusive. More of a lower pitch growl than a raspy sound. At 3000 rpm, it's still very quiet. I like the way it sounds. Gas mileage does suck. No other way to put it. I get 13ish mpg around town. Towing is 8mpg at 65. This in the tow setting in my Edge tuner.

If I didn't have a motorcycle habit to support as well and had all my fun $$ in one basket, a diesel would be nice. A gasser does well though. For me anyway.

'16 28DBUD
'16 2500HD Dmax
Old 06-29-2016, 03:55 PM   #87

It's just great that all the diesel guys get on here and say, "got a diesel, will never go back." But a large part of the gas vs diesel equation is - what are you pulling with it?

Pulling a popup with a diesel would be crazy. Pulling a 13K 5ver with a 4.3L Silverado gasser rated for 4K lbs would be just as crazy.

Going diesel vs gas has as much to do with WHAT YOU'RE PULLING as with anything else. So for all you diesel guys, maybe it made sense to get the diesel BASED ON WHAT YOU'RE PULLING (although I suspect it may not have made sense for many of you - you just wanted a diesel). But that doesn't mean it makes sense for many of us. Do I really need a diesel to pull a 5K lb trailer??? And pay typically $7-10K extra for the privilege? I don't think so.

The goal is to have the right tool for the job at hand; no overkill, no underkill.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 06-29-2016, 05:53 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
It's just great that all the diesel guys get on here and say, "got a diesel, will never go back." But a large part of the gas vs diesel equation is - what are you pulling with it?

Pulling a popup with a diesel would be crazy. Pulling a 13K 5ver with a 4.3L Silverado gasser rated for 4K lbs would be just as crazy.

Going diesel vs gas has as much to do with WHAT YOU'RE PULLING as with anything else. So for all you diesel guys, maybe it made sense to get the diesel BASED ON WHAT YOU'RE PULLING (although I suspect it may not have made sense for many of you - you just wanted a diesel). But that doesn't mean it makes sense for many of us. Do I really need a diesel to pull a 5K lb trailer??? And pay typically $7-10K extra for the privilege? I don't think so.

The goal is to have the right tool for the job at hand; no overkill, no underkill.
I agree and disagree. We agree ~~~No need for a diesel to tow a 8000# camper of any kind. Once the weight is in the 10k# range comfort and safety a diesel starts looking much better.
$10K extra for a diesel is a stretch unless considering the extra weight of the engine itself may require going to a 1 ton to get payload numbers comparable to a 3/4 gasser. An even bigger stretch when one considers payback at resale or trade. No matter as no NEED to tow a light load.
"got a diesel and will never go back" When I had a class A the toad was a diesel 4x4. My daily driver will see 43,000 to 55,000 miles annually and I'm most comfortable in an F350 diesel so I will never go back even if no longer towing.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:28 PM   #89
Retired

Strange no one mentioned a couple of the cons of owning a diesel dually...

They are a real PIA in parking lots especially a long box...

Not the best for a daily driver...

The good points have already been said... Pass the popcorn!

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0
Old 06-29-2016, 07:31 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyDually View Post
Strange no one mentioned a couple of the cons of owning a diesel dually...

They are a real PIA in parking lots especially a long box...

Not the best for a daily driver...

The good points have already been said... Pass the popcorn!
I didn't mention them because those are not cons to me.

The mirrors fold automatically. If mirrors will fit in a site, the truck will. I park in back of Walmart lots because I'm fat and have a bad heart and NEED to walk!

It's my daily driver.....though I admit I'm retired and not commuting per se, and I know that is different than those that work........and it's not an issue. It's just not.

Here's the one thing no one else has said, either..........I'm 68, and I've owned a ton of trucks. All were...toys......until this one. This is a T R U C K.

T R U C K.

Big ole boys truck.

My wife drives my old pickup........a Silverado 1500. I feel like I'm in a bumper car when I drive it!!!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
Closed Thread

Tags
diesel, gas