Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 16
30 pound Propane

Using propane only at night, to heat, no cooking or hot water. Using only the furnace how long will a 30 LB Tank last?
__________________

__________________
btjapkes93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,168
If you set your thermostat for 50 degrees, it will last a lot longer than at 90 degrees.

Seems a silly answer, but all together true. If the furnace runs all night and day you might only get a 2 or 3 days per bottle.
__________________

__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member
 
cfsoistman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Upperco, Maryland
Posts: 3,135
It would all depend on outside temperature, what you set the thermostat at, how big of an area you need to heat and what type RV you have. Folding trailer with canvas will go through more propane than a hard sided traveler just due to the insulation factor.
__________________

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
DDC
Senior Member
 
DDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Komoka Ontario
Posts: 2,363
Till it's empty.

Sorry couldn't resist but there are to many variables that would have to be known to calculate this.
__________________
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 15,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by btjapkes93 View Post
Using propane only at night, to heat, no cooking or hot water. Using only the furnace how long will a 30 LB Tank last?
It's kind of hard to give a "real" guess on that one, as has been pointed out, it will depend on the temperatures and how long the heater has to run.

If you know how much btu's your heater burns, you can estimate how long the cylinder should last at prolonged continued draw. You could then estimate how many times your heater turns on and run time length, to time it out. It's kind of difficult.


Here is a more detailed fact sheet on propane and such, as well as the formula for guesstimating how long a tank will last.

RV Tech Library - Propane Facts
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
3 Happy Campers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 330
Weve been up at Otter Lake in Marshalls Creek PA since the 1st week of Nov.
I have a 100 lb propane tank hooked up in place of one of the 30 lb bottles.
From 11/3 to 12/22 we went through about 200 lbs of propane.
From 12/22 to 12/27 we burnt through an entire 100 lb tank. Temps this past week were low 20s to low 30s.
We kept it @ 68f during the day & 60f @ night with an elec blanket on the bed. Our unit is 40 long with 12 ceilings & more windows than we have in the house.
Were counting down our last week here. Next Sat we winterize & head home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0029.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	22570  
__________________
Dave, Judy & Daisy May
Perkasie, PA
2010 Sierra 356RL
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:11 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Happy Campers View Post
We’ve been up at Otter Lake in Marshalls Creek PA since the 1st week of Nov.
I have a 100 lb propane tank hooked up in place of one of the 30 lb bottles.
From 11/3 to 12/22 we went through about 200 lbs of propane.
From 12/22 to 12/27 we burnt through an entire 100 lb tank. Temps this past week were low 20s to low 30s.
We kept it @ 68f during the day & 60f @ night with an elec blanket on the bed. Our unit is 40’ long with 12’ ceilings & more windows than we have in the house.
We’re counting down our last week here. Next Sat we winterize & head home.
Thnk you for a most. Helpful answer. I have 2 30's that lasted almost a month and I am. In Florida! I better plan on a higher gas budget than I thought.
__________________
btjapkes93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:13 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post

It's kind of hard to give a "real" guess on that one, as has been pointed out, it will depend on the temperatures and how long the heater has to run.

If you know how much btu's your heater burns, you can estimate how long the cylinder should last at prolonged continued draw. You could then estimate how many times your heater turns on and run time length, to time it out. It's kind of difficult.

Here is a more detailed fact sheet on propane and such, as well as the formula for guesstimating how long a tank will last.

RV Tech Library - Propane Facts
Thanks for the help.
__________________
btjapkes93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
3 Happy Campers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 330
Okay back home.
My total for propane from 11/3 to 1/5/13 was $500.
Elec was $135. Temps got as low as the teens the last week!
Site fee for the 8 weeks was $500

Heading back to Sarasota next year.
It was nice having the whole campground to ourselves but does little good when you can't go out!
__________________
Dave, Judy & Daisy May
Perkasie, PA
2010 Sierra 356RL
2011 Silverado 2500 4WD, LT, Ext Cab, LB
Duramax 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel
Allison 1000 6-Speed Automatic Transmission
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Twisty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,138
2 30 lb tanks lasted about 8 days here.
Low temps 26? to 36?
High temps 34? to 44?
TT kept at 70 degrees day and night for an 8 month old baby with water heater on at all times too.
TT has Polar Package, is sheltered from most wind and gets some afternoon sun.
__________________

__________________
FOR SALE 2014 BOSS 6.2L F350
2012 Surveyor SV264
NW Oregon
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.