Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2016, 04:55 PM   #181

Our first excursion for Memorial Day Weekend. We have stayed in the camper multiple times at home but this is the first real trip. Question: Does anyone have issues tripping a 30 amp service? We did it twice this morning at the campsite on shore power. We had the ac running, fridge on electric, and I'm sure the water heater was pulling in since we were doing showers. Also ran the microwave at same time. I think there should be no way everything in the trailer should be over 30 amps and tripping the breaker , otherwise it should have been wired 50 amp. I understand that breakers weaken with age but even if I'm pulling 27-28 amps that's too close to the trip limit. Input/ideas? Had no issues at home but I'm not sure I had everything loaded up at once either.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1464472078737.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	109379  
Salem312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salem312 View Post
Our first excursion for Memorial Day Weekend. We have stayed in the camper multiple times at home but this is the first real trip. Question: Does anyone have issues tripping a 30 amp service? We did it twice this morning at the campsite on shore power. We had the ac running, fridge on electric, and I'm sure the water heater was pulling in since we were doing showers. Also ran the microwave at same time. I think there should be no way everything in the trailer should be over 30 amps and tripping the breaker , otherwise it should have been wired 50 amp. I understand that breakers weaken with age but even if I'm pulling 27-28 amps that's too close to the trip limit. Input/ideas? Had no issues at home but I'm not sure I had everything loaded up at once either.
we have almost the same Trailer and ours is new also and we used everything at once including the 15.5 AC ,the large fridge , all lights on, plus TV to test it out and no issues. Hubby thinks you need to have the breaker checked while nice and new and maybe replaced, he also suggested checking the wiring to and from. You have a gorgeous set up and I hope all goes well. Till then, maybe don't have as much ON at once and have a Great Memorial Day Weekend.
mchayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:07 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchayes View Post
we have almost the same Trailer and ours is new also and we used everything at once including the 15.5 AC ,the large fridge , all lights on, plus TV to test it out and no issues. Hubby thinks you need to have the breaker checked while nice and new and maybe replaced, he also suggested checking the wiring to and from. You have a gorgeous set up and I hope all goes well. Till then, maybe don't have as much ON at once and have a Great Memorial Day Weekend.
check that there are no wires touching each other - got that electrical tape - now is the time to use it maybe a simply fix
mchayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:47 PM   #184

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure the breaker at the campground is old and that could be the culprit. My power cord is new with the trailer. Are y'all suggesting wiring issues with the shore power, or an internal problem in my rig?
Old 05-28-2016, 09:17 PM   #185
I go RV'ing not Camping

I don't think you have a wiring issue. My trailer trips if I get to much stuff going at the same time. Microwave and a/c for sure won't work same time.

I have had problems with water heater and a/c also. These trailers really should be 50 amp. The converter is a big power hog on my trailer 8-10 amps add that with a/c and I'm out of amps. Fridge on propane helps quite a bit or shut converter off while showering etc
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:50 PM   #186

I have never popped the breaker. I have blown the tongue jack fuse about 20 times though
atcbrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 10:13 PM   #187
I go RV'ing not Camping

I only popped the breaker a couple times on the same day. Was really hot and the a/c was going non stop, changed the breaker cause it went bad and I have been more conservative with my power usage
Old 05-28-2016, 10:14 PM   #188
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by atcbrownie View Post
I have never popped the breaker. I have blown the tongue jack fuse about 20 times though
Why do you think that is?
Old 05-28-2016, 10:20 PM   #189
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
I am loving the Salem colours on your rig....looks fantastic
Old 05-29-2016, 05:41 AM   #190

Thanks again for the input and comments. We are really enjoying our rig but I'm really beginning to wonder why FR didn't wire it to 50 amp. I'm am electrician by trade and have wired many homes so I understand calculating load and providing adequate service in order to prevent overload. An 1100 watt microwave will pull around 9 amps, the 15.5 btu ac around 13-15, that doesn't leave much room for the fridge, water heater, and inverter, much less a coffee pot, hair dryer, tv, etc. You should be able to run every appliance at full load at the same time at a minimum. I can understand it not handling additional appliances but can't understand it not carrying itsself. I will hook up to my new power box at home and put everything under load to see what happens, and update everyone.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:36 AM   #191

Possibly to prove your point, ours came wired for the 2nd AC so even though we don't have the 2nd AC we do have 50AMP and thus far we have never tripped a breaker. We use EL water the resi fridge the AC and the microwave at the same time.... Here I've been complaining about the large 50AMP cord - guess I should be grateful.
Oops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #192
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oops View Post
Possibly to prove your point, ours came wired for the 2nd AC so even though we don't have the 2nd AC we do have 50AMP and thus far we have never tripped a breaker. We use EL water the resi fridge the AC and the microwave at the same time.... Here I've been complaining about the large 50AMP cord - guess I should be grateful.
Dang...now that would be something nice to have....yes consider yourself lucky
Old 05-29-2016, 01:11 PM   #193

Agree Oops. I think you have proven my point.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:14 PM   #194

Here's an update from the campsite though: I figured out the wife had a flat iron AND blow dryer plugged up and running at the same time. Ac was running but little else, and we tripped. Earlier this am we ran micro, ac, coffee pot, and did a shower so I think the trailer probably does hold its own at 30 amps. Blow dryer and flat iron...not so much!
Old 05-29-2016, 01:39 PM   #195
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Here's an update from the campsite though: I figured out the wife had a flat iron AND blow dryer plugged up and running at the same time. Ac was running but little else, and we tripped. Earlier this am we ran micro, ac, coffee pot, and did a shower so I think the trailer probably does hold its own at 30 amps. Blow dryer and flat iron...not so much!
Ya that would do it....
Old 05-29-2016, 02:13 PM   #196

Lol.
Old 06-13-2016, 06:43 AM   #197

Hopefully I get all the bugs worked out before warranty is out. Now I have to shop it for a bubble in the laminate on the bunk slide.
Zecrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:10 AM   #198

Just got back from a 10 day trip. About 1500 miles on the 312 and we are very pleased with her. There are a few things that make you wonder if FR designers actually camp in the units lol. Like the master bed lights - why can't they put them behind your head rather than in your eyes when you lay down... Even a valance would help... But the big bonus is that with the warmer ground water temp and you guys advice we didn't have any issues with the hot water keeping up. - Thanks! As a matter of fact in Gulf Shores we almost couldn't run it out!
I did however clip a retread on the interstate and broke off the rear stabilizer motor. What should be $125 motor appears to be $300. After reading the many issues these have on the forum I'm wondering about just going with manual jacks? What have your experiences been?
Old 06-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oops View Post
Just got back from a 10 day trip. About 1500 miles on the 312 and we are very pleased with her. There are a few things that make you wonder if FR designers actually camp in the units lol. Like the master bed lights - why can't they put them behind your head rather than in your eyes when you lay down... Even a valance would help... But the big bonus is that with the warmer ground water temp and you guys advice we didn't have any issues with the hot water keeping up. - Thanks! As a matter of fact in Gulf Shores we almost couldn't run it out!
I did however clip a retread on the interstate and broke off the rear stabilizer motor. What should be $125 motor appears to be $300. After reading the many issues these have on the forum I'm wondering about just going with manual jacks? What have your experiences been?

'Stabilizers' don't stabilize very well. they do not hold any weight either. I put in the front a set of 'Sav-a-Jac' brackets and added scissor jacks to the front (just behind the stabilizers). This will hold up the weight of the front and relieve some pressure weight off of the jack. Just this year I put some scissor jacks on the back.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:43 AM   #200

Thanks, I'll look those up

Tags
air conditioner, modifications, outdoor kitchen, outdoor tv, television