Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #441
I go RV'ing not Camping

How is everyone doing these days?

I haven’t been around the site much as this year camping wise was a total bust. I had open heart surgery in May and so I couldn’t lift anything for three months and I certainly couldn’t hook up the trailer so we only went for 3 days in September.

I am looking forward to this summer and getting back in the swing of things.

Suffice to say my trailer is ready to go and doesn’t need any work that I know of yet. Lol

Although I have a battery drain issue that I discovered as I was winterizing it. I had it sitting overnight unplugged and in the morning the battery was dead. I had previously cut the wire for the fridge door heater, but I don’t think that was the only draw.

Anyone else have that same problem?
1400lbs Equal-i-zer Hitch
jgourlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:39 PM   #442

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgourlie View Post
How is everyone doing these days?

I haven’t been around the site much as this year camping wise was a total bust. I had open heart surgery in May and so I couldn’t lift anything for three months and I certainly couldn’t hook up the trailer so we only went for 3 days in September.

I am looking forward to this summer and getting back in the swing of things.

Suffice to say my trailer is ready to go and doesn’t need any work that I know of yet. Lol

Although I have a battery drain issue that I discovered as I was winterizing it. I had it sitting overnight unplugged and in the morning the battery was dead. I had previously cut the wire for the fridge door heater, but I don’t think that was the only draw.

Anyone else have that same problem?
I put mine in storage for 2 1/2 - 3 months every summer. Batteries never go lower than 12.9. Remember, the battery cut-off switch provided in the coach is next to worthless. There is a lot of things that continue to draw. For winter storage, best to pull the batteries and keep them charged. 2nd best is to install a real cutoff switch at the batteries and shut everything off.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:45 PM   #443
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I put mine in storage for 2 1/2 - 3 months every summer. Batteries never go lower than 12.9. Remember, the battery cut-off switch provided in the coach is next to worthless. There is a lot of things that continue to draw. For winter storage, best to pull the batteries and keep them charged. 2nd best is to install a real cutoff switch at the batteries and shut everything off.
I definitely pull them and put them on a battery tender all winter. I was just surprised to see the battery dead just sitting there unplugged overnight. I almost always have the trailer plugged in, this was the first time I had it unplugged for an extended time.

Does anyone have a list of the biggest offenders of battery draw?
Old 01-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #444

Following up on the AC issues. It does appear that Dometric put out some bad ones.
1st year we didn’t have any issues then this year it just ran nonstop which caused icing issues. Took it to the dealer and Dometric replaced it free of charge. Apparently there is two year warranty on the AC. So if anyone else is having issues might be wise to take it in while it’s still under their warranty.... it’s going to be a while till we can see how it cools. 2 degrees tonight LOL
Oops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:32 AM   #445

Same issue with our 2015 312qbud. Haven't tracked down all the power draws as of yet but it's equipped with solar panels and the batteries come out in the winter anyway. Minus 40 Celsius at times up here in saskatchewan winters. I do know the linc router and control box was a big power draw
branpar83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:55 AM   #446
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by branpar83 View Post
Same issue with our 2015 312qbud. Haven't tracked down all the power draws as of yet but it's equipped with solar panels and the batteries come out in the winter anyway. Minus 40 Celsius at times up here in saskatchewan winters. I do know the linc router and control box was a big power draw
I didn’t know the router was 12 volt powered but that would make total sense if it was, and it being a big power draw.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #447

Definitely 12v otherwise it would only work on shore power
atcbrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:19 PM   #448

Does anyone know where the water heater bypass valve is located in the 312QBUD? I'm having issues getting hot water...think the valves are set to closed
TIA
Garza_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:43 AM   #449
I go RV'ing not Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garza_M View Post
Does anyone know where the water heater bypass valve is located in the 312QBUD? I'm having issues getting hot water...think the valves are set to closed
TIA
Mine is located below my stove. There is a circle heater vent in the same panel you just take the 4 screws out and the bypass is right there.

Hope that helps,
Old 02-13-2018, 02:01 AM   #450

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgourlie View Post
Mine is located below my stove. There is a circle heater vent in the same panel you just take the 4 screws out and the bypass is right there.

Hope that helps,
I'll investigate my rig. I'm hoping it's there because cold showers are not very fun for anyone. Thanks for the info I'll circle back with the results.

-Matt
Garza_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:20 AM   #451

Measurements

Does anyone know the measurements of the diameter of the rear bumper...need to attach some j hooks or ubolts to a storage shed behind my camper and would like to use the bumper just need to know the dimensions
Koolcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #452

Hey Kool, the OD bumper deminsions are 4” x 4”
Oops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:26 PM   #453

Thank you
Koolcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:07 AM   #454

Help! We are new to the 312QBUD! We are loving it, but I can’t for the life of me figure out the valves to drain. I know that 2 of them are for my gray tanks and one for black. I finally found the 3rd valve which was a challenge in itself (tucked under the frame). Can anyone tell me which one is the black? I’d really like not to pull it to find out lol.
Wrangler77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:40 AM   #455

The valve up on the frame is the main grey tank. Innours it’s everything but the outdoor kitchen sink. At the sewer connection there should be two more handles. On ours there is one with a rod that goes back in to the underbelly. That one is the black tank. There should be a small diameter pipe that comes in from the right with another valve. That’s the grey tank for the outdoor kitchen.
cstreu1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:33 AM   #456

These pics are from my 2015. The two valves on the frame are both grey tanks. The one on the left is the front/main grey and the one one the right is the rear/outdoor kitchen grey.

The valve that is below and extended towards the skirting is the black tank valve.

Hope this helps

Jason Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180722_093014.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	180764Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180722_092947.jpeg
Views:	134
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	180765
Old 07-29-2018, 01:23 PM   #457

312QBUD Owners Thread

Thanks a bunch! We sorted it all out.
Wrangler77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:38 PM   #458

First time posting here. I have a 2012 Salem Hemisphere 312QBUD that I tow with a Tundra. The Tundra pulls great, the only downsides are having to stop for gas every 2.5 hours and trying to convince my 3 kids to not kill each other in the backseat.
One Mod I have made to the camper is I added a valve to my drain hookup, that way I can close the added valve, open both grey tanks and share their capacity. I just have to make sure that I close both before I want to dump the black tank.
Another mod I made was to add two scissor jacks just in front of the wheels. The are mounted to a 4x4 that slides into the square tubes that the suspension is attached to (I had to cut that portion of the 4x4 down to fit of course)
I also added 2 12v car adapters to the area under the stove so I can plug in an electric cooler while traveling
There are two mods that I have been contemplating but can’t figure out how to do it, so any advice would be appreciated.
1: replace the dinky sink in the outdoor kitchen, the bowl is only about 9”x13”x5” and the faucet pretty much blocks me from putting anything bigger than a Dixie cup under the faucet. Pulling the panels of the underside looks like I could go a little wider and a little longer, but probably not deeper. Anyone else tried it?
2: figure out a way to circulate air better in the summer. The bunk room gets pretty warm. I was thinking of trying to add a switch to run the furnace fan, but couldn’t figure that out. Another alternative I was considering was putting a set of fans in the door itself... thoughts?
Daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:50 PM   #459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxinarian View Post
First time posting here. I have a 2012 Salem Hemisphere 312QBUD that I tow with a Tundra. The Tundra pulls great, the only downsides are having to stop for gas every 2.5 hours and trying to convince my 3 kids to not kill each other in the backseat.
One Mod I have made to the camper is I added a valve to my drain hookup, that way I can close the added valve, open both grey tanks and share their capacity. I just have to make sure that I close both before I want to dump the black tank.
Another mod I made was to add two scissor jacks just in front of the wheels. The are mounted to a 4x4 that slides into the square tubes that the suspension is attached to (I had to cut that portion of the 4x4 down to fit of course)
I also added 2 12v car adapters to the area under the stove so I can plug in an electric cooler while traveling
There are two mods that I have been contemplating but can’t figure out how to do it, so any advice would be appreciated.
1: replace the dinky sink in the outdoor kitchen, the bowl is only about 9”x13”x5” and the faucet pretty much blocks me from putting anything bigger than a Dixie cup under the faucet. Pulling the panels of the underside looks like I could go a little wider and a little longer, but probably not deeper. Anyone else tried it?
2: figure out a way to circulate air better in the summer. The bunk room gets pretty warm. I was thinking of trying to add a switch to run the furnace fan, but couldn’t figure that out. Another alternative I was considering was putting a set of fans in the door itself... thoughts?
As far as the outdoor sink goes, while I wish the sink was larger I wouldn't want to sacrifice counter space for it. Having said that, I think you could replace your faucet and correct most of your issues. My faucet is factory but I have a 2015. It is a larger "kitchen style" faucet where yours sounds like a "bathroom style'.

For the bunk room, in the summer we have a 15k ac and run the fan on high rather than auto. This helps us circulate the air better even if the temp drops within the range to turn off the AC. Also pull your vent cover in the bunk room. I bet there is a ton of space beyond the vent where the AC ductwork runs a few feet past the vent. I took a bunch of leftover insulation from a home project and stuffed the ductwork behind the vent. This helps to force the air out of the vent rather than allowing it to run past the vent.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:22 AM   #460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxinarian View Post
You may want to check the brake pads on your unit. My brakes are forward adjusting brakes (ratchet up when hitting the brakes harder going forward) and they over time will get to tight and drag on the drums. I back them off at the beginning of each camping season. I did not know this when I bought the unit and I ended up loosing the back hubs and axle. this may help you gas mileage.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, modifications, outdoor kitchen, outdoor tv, television