Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2016, 02:29 PM   #21

I have always extended the legs a couple of inches, depending on terrain, pull the pins, let the feet drop to the ground and continue lowering the legs until the hitch is free. Pull the truck out, level trailer front to back.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
I simply drop both legs and then run the jack motor to lift. The leg pins will snap in by themselves. I normally put 4X6 blocks down first to spread the load out and reduce the length of the extended leg for stability.
I finally found the easiest way that I have always leveled and that is like "Harker" in #19. Level wheels from side to side, pull the pins on both extensions legs and let them drop, stick a pad under each one to avoid ground sink and run your jack until pins lock and continue until level. Pins locking will adjust themselves for side to side level. There is no easier way that I have ever been able to determine. If you use the Camco pads or such, turn them open side up to avoid picking up debris.
Old codger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedu View Post
I have always extended the legs a couple of inches, depending on terrain, pull the pins, let the feet drop to the ground and continue lowering the legs until the hitch is free. Pull the truck out, level trailer front to back.
My point in discussing the lower or higher back end was so that you will have enough travel in the legs to allow you to drop the front end or raise the front end (depending on the back end terrain)
If you don't do this, then there won't be enough travel to adjust it all.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:03 PM   #24

Another related issue which I learned about the hard way. Don't lower the rear stabilizers until after the front landing gear are down and the FW is as level as possible. Raising the landing gear after the rear stabilizers are down places a huge strain on the motor(s) because you'd be pushing down on the rear stabilizers while trying to lift the entire weight of the trailer with the motor(s). Remember that the wheels are the fulcrum and carry most of the weight of the trailer. Level first and use the rear stabilizers just to decrease the bouncing when you walk around in the trailer, not to level it.
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #25

I was concerned about tweaking the frame too but I don't think it is that much to do it. I measured the holes which are 1" apart so if you adjust the landing gear via the pins up or down the most it would be is 1/2 inch out. I will get the adjustable Ultra-Fab anyway so I can lose that unevenness. Probably only need it on one foot.

I stained and added rope handles to 4x6 blocks so I don't have to drop the gear that far, I use them front and back. I also take along two of the round ones in-case I ever setup in some mushy grass or sand.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Block.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	104089
2003 Dodge Cummins w/Banks 3:73
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5er